Medical/pharmaceutical sales

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello All I have been looking to break into the medical/ pharmaceutical sales field and was wondering if many Reefers were in this field? Any tips would be appreciated too!

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a pharm rep for 5 years. It was a great gig. The key to success is first, building rapport/relationships with your providers. Find something you have in common with them and build on that. Say, if they have a hobby like scuba diving, bring them a current supportive article on scuba. Second, learn to 'close' at every visit. That means getting the doctor to commit to something, prescribing, reading an article, etc. Follow up on that commitment on the next visit.

Remember this: The doctor will only see you for 3 reasons: 1. He/she likes you. 2. You bring him/her something of value. 3. You don't waste their time.

Sometimes you will go in expecting to give a 5 minute presentation and the doctor is slammed with patients. Be prepared to give him/her a 30 second version of that presentation. Then, based on that, get them to make a commitment of action. CLOSE them!

Interviewing for the rep job: Know the products they expect you to promote. Learn all about them BEFORE the interview. Know the package inserts inside and out. Know the benefits and features of each product and how they are different and better than the competing products. Show them you are committed by doing your homework. Finally, CLOSE at the interview. "OK, you've seen my resume and we've discussed my skillset. Do you have any other questions? Do you see anything that would disqualify me from taking this position? When shall I start?"

Good luck!

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be prepared to travel. I have a few friends that were in it and tired of traveling 4-5 days a week every week. Often just staying on he road as opposed to coming home for a day or two. Brutal lifestyle is what they said. However, as @HawkeyeDJ said, it is a “great gig“ in reference to income potential etc. very competitive for sure.
take notes on his mention of preparation, it’s imperative for sure. It’s not uncommon for those that didnt get into medical school to pursue this field so anything you can do to give yourself a step ahead is a good start.

good luck Chayse

corey

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back