Medication question

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a ywg and Orchid dottyback in qt due to a velvet outbreak in the DT. They have been in qt for approximately 6 weeks. I’ve treated for 4 weeks with copper. Now I’m currently on my 2nd round of PraziPro (dosed Saturday) for good measure. I noticed that the dottyback appears to have a frayed tail fin. I’m thinking it could possibly be fin rot? I would post a pic but he moves so fast there is no way to take a good pic. I’ve been doing 50% water changes every week in an effort to keep the water quality up. Can Furan-2 be dosed with the PraziPro? The ywg looks okay but hardly eats and doesn’t move around much. However, it has been acting that way since being moved from the DT 6 weeks ago.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dosed the prazi on saturday, you can do a water change and start the furan2. The second round has already had time to do it's job.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dosed the prazi on saturday, you can do a water change and start the furan2. The second round has already had time to do it's job.
This exactly. Also, YWG sometimes don’t tolerate other thin, long fish like dotty in close quarters. Particularly if they’re the only two fish. An angry, large YWG can do some damage!

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This exactly. Also, YWG sometimes don’t tolerate other thin, long fish like dotty in close quarters. Particularly if they’re the only two fish. An angry, large YWG can do some damage!
Do you think the goby could be the cause of the frayed fin? I could see the dottyback being kind of a pest because he’s super active and always swimming around the ywg. But I haven’t actually seen the goby attack. Just swell up and chase him off. However, they are both in a 10gallon aquarium and have until May before the fallow period ends :(

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the goby could be the cause of the frayed fin? I could see the dottyback being kind of a pest because he’s super active and always swimming around the ywg. But I haven’t actually seen the goby attack. Just swell up and chase him off. However, they are both in a 10gallon aquarium and have until May before the fallow period ends :(
I’d say it’s possible perhaps even likely. If they’re similar in size I’d say it’s likely. I’m guessing the dotty keeps its distance!

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dotty acts like a hyper lil kid with adhd and the goby an old grump :D. The dotty doesn’t seem bothered by the goby. The goby is about an inch bigger than the dotty. But I’ve had the goby about 5 years. The dotty was just added in January.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dotty acts like a hyper lil kid with adhd and the goby an old grump

That is awesome. That is totally the personality I see in a YWG too

@4FordFamily @melypr1985 have you covered. Definitely separate or divide the tank if possible and watch for a secondary infection.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome. That is totally the personality I see in a YWG too

@4FordFamily @melypr1985 have you covered. Definitely separate or divide the tank if possible and watch for a secondary infection.
They do have very destinct personalities that’s part of why I love them so much! I’ll see what I can do and start watching them even closer. The furan-2 will start today ;).

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make some cheap dividers out of the following. I love the ones I make more than the store ones.

Use to hold in place in tank (one on each side of spine).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kids-Craft-Mini-Suction-Cups/19526601

Spines for edges

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/678708/Office-Depot-Brand-Sliding-Bar-Report/

Mesh for seperator

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Darice-12-x-18-Ultra-Stiff-Mesh-Plastic-Canvas-3-Pack/36246079
Great idea! Thank you!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back