Medications to keep on hand

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0833.JPG

got a better look at it today and it seems to be protruding outward more, so i put the gramma into my 20g tank w/ 2 starcki damsels who also have bacterial issues (or better yet, uronema possibly). dosing the trifecta in there so hopefully one of them will make it. this qt thing aint working out well for me

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add 1 scoop focus + 1 scoop general cure to 1 Tablespoon of prepared frozen food. Feed the food for 14 days. Sometimes it can take up to 3 weeks to fully erradicate. So if you still see white stringy poop at 14 days continue for an additional 7.

I recommend only storing food in refrigerator after prepared for 3-5 days. Toss and make new if there are leftovers.

You can use Metroplex instead of general cure. If you are dealing with worms you will need to use general cure.
Sorry if this has been asked and answered repeatedly, but is it safe to dose (or feed) GC or PraziPro while also having Kanaplex+furan-2 in the water?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has been asked and answered repeatedly, but is it safe to dose (or feed) GC or PraziPro while also having Kanaplex+furan-2 in the water?
Feeding it would definitely be safe. Especially if you are using a binder like focus.

Dosing it into the water column should also be ok. Just remember that the heavier you medicate the tank the heavier the impact is on available oxygen. Super heavy surface agitation is the key. If it’s possible to wait until the antibiotic treatment is finished that would be my recommendation As far as adding more medication to the water. If it’s an emergency situation then I would not hesitate to combine those meds.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding it would definitely be safe. Especially if you are using a binder like focus.

Dosing it into the water column should also be ok. Just remember that the heavier you medicate the tank the heavier the impact is on available oxygen. Super heavy surface agitation is the key. If it’s possible to wait until the antibiotic treatment is finished that would be my recommendation As far as adding more medication to the water. If it’s an emergency situation then I would not hesitate to combine those meds.

Thanks for the quick reply. I had 4 fish in QT1, a pair of Neon Dottybacks and a pair of Maroon clowns. After 8 days in Copper Power @ 1.75-1.81 they were all looking great, but then one dottyback started getting lethargic and breathing heavy. So all got tank transferred to fresh clean QT2 yesterday, pre-dosed with Kanaplex+furan-2 and no copper. Sponge filter and powerhead. I'll try the GC+Focus but I'm just worried it won't even eat. QT1 has already been sterilized for a potential 2nd TT in future.

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry if this has been asked before. Skimmed through the thread. Has a ton of great info! Anyway, can you use Kanaplex or metro with focus in their food in a reef tank or does it have to be done in qt? I have a 300 gal dt and it may not be feasible to tear the tank apart to get all the fish out and qt all the fish. Thanks!!

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry if this has been asked before. Skimmed through the thread. Has a ton of great info! Anyway, can you use Kanaplex or metro with focus in their food in a reef tank or does it have to be done in qt? I have a 300 gal dt and it may not be feasible to tear the tank apart to get all the fish out and qt all the fish. Thanks!!
General cure or metro with focus combined with their food is for parasites or worms. What exactly are you trying to treat? Kanaplex and furan 2 are for bacterial infections, fin rot, etc. if you’re trying to treat an injury it may be better to try and catch the particular fish in question and treat in a QT if it’s bad. If not and your water conditions are good, you can monitor the injury and feed foods dosed with selcon or vita chem.

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General cure or metro with focus combined with their food is for parasites or worms. What exactly are you trying to treat? Kanaplex and furan 2 are for bacterial infections, fin rot, etc. if you’re trying to treat an injury it may be better to try and catch the particular fish in question and treat in a QT if it’s bad. If not and your water conditions are good, you can monitor the injury and feed foods dosed with selcon or vita chem.

I am trying to get them to have on hand in the event of needing it. If it’s fed to them, I am just worried about dispassion into the water column and hurting corals and inverts. If I can catch the fish I will, but looking at seeing if there were meds to feed that could treat in the dt in the event that I can’t catch the infected fish. Side note, if clowns have worms, would the have a white string coming out of them all the time or just until the worm comes out? Like a few hours. Thanks for the help!

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a trigger I am trying to treat, but have no clue what he has. I posted in the forum below this one, but haven’t had too many responses. He is in qt now and going through a paraguard treatment and freshwater dips. He has white hairlike dots on his body and under his chin. I’m not sure if the spot on his chin is from fighting my other triggers or a parasite. The ones on his body may be too, but it’s hard to tell.

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fi
I am trying to get them to have on hand in the event of needing it. If it’s fed to them, I am just worried about dispassion into the water column and hurting corals and inverts. If I can catch the fish I will, but looking at seeing if there were meds to feed that could treat in the dt in the event that I can’t catch the infected fish. Side note, if clowns have worms, would the have a white string coming out of them all the time or just until the worm comes out? Like a few hours. Thanks for the help!
If the fish has white stringy poop then it has worms. General cure and focus combined with food for 14 days will clear that up.

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this will help out somebody:

The same seller has it in larger and smaller sizes too.

Loggerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this will help out somebody:

The same seller has it in larger and smaller sizes too.

Has anyone used this particular CP? I found this the other day and was wondering if it was safe and pure as they claim.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this be treated in DT as I don’t have a QT... I do have corals in my DT.
Hello! What are you wanting to treat? Ich or Velvet? Ich can either be treated with "management techniques" or in a QT with other methods; velvet needs a QT. Here's a thread on Ich to help you choose your course of action as needed. We are here to help! ;)

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this be treated in DT as I don’t have a QT... I do have corals in my DT.
Ruby Reef Rally Pro might keep your fish from dying off quickly in the display tank if you don't have a quarantine set up. What state do you live in? You may be able to find a used tank on here quickly. I'll give you one of my 20 longs if you live in my neck of the woods.

ReefGirl87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Reef Rally Pro might keep your fish from dying off quickly in the display tank if you don't have a quarantine set up. What state do you live in? You may be able to find a used tank on here quickly. I'll give you one of my 20 longs if you live in my neck of the woods.
I’m in Michigan....

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In China I am able to order these medications online through Taobao:

Seachem Kaneplex

Seachem Metroplex

SeaChem Focus

SeaChem Cupramine

CupriSorb

Hikari PraziPro

API General Cure

Kent Marine Garlic XTreme

Kordon Methylene Blue

I ordered all of these. Do I have the basics nailed down?

Also what fish is especially sensitive to copper treatments?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are covered. Make sure to keep the meds in date. That is usually the worst part of having meds on hand.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back