Meet The World’s Worst Clownfish

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
I’d like you all to meet Luxo, the most evil clownfish out there!
777A4342-73C0-486B-996D-909A1C2C1AED.jpeg

It started out with two tiny ocellaris clownfish, no larger than an inch. They quickly made a nice home in the quarantine tank, and even formed a close pair inside their small PVC pipe. Things seemed to be going great with them! Luxo would occasionally kick Nemo out then invite him back in, which was quite normal in pairing behavior from what I could tell.

Fast forward a few weeks, and they were the first two fish in my display tank (at least in a very long time)! They did typical clownfish stuff—hosted my torch coral to death, picked on the inverts, and so on. At this point, something became noticeably off about Luxo. She stuck very close to her torch (my second torch, that is… :rolleyes:), warded off Nemo, and made water changes a hassle, starting to follow my hand wherever it went.

80FE65B1-0E32-4438-9674-BC2CB5124598.jpeg

Nemo (top) and a tiny Luxo (bottom) in their early days.

A few months later, enter Eve, the Aurora goby. At the introduction of this fish, something snapped inside Luxo, and she decided to harass Nemo to death. It was upsetting, but definitely something that happens from time to time in clown pairs. That was barely the bad part. I could not even attempt to clean the algae at this point. The little bugger would literally jump out of the water just to bite my hand! There were instances in which she’d even draw blood! A one-inch fish leaving marks!! It was here that I knew I had a mean-a** fish.

Over three months later I tested my fish luck again, and added a royal gramma. Luxo actually handled this quite well! The gramma, named Zurg, was able to hold its own and evade the clownfish. The two hung out often, with few signs of aggression. Of course, my hand was still the primary victim to the “devilfish”.

Well fast forward a little while longer, and I chose to round off the stocking with a firefish. Luxo seemed well behaved at this point, and only cared about its “anemone” (a ticked off torch). But things went swimmingly—for a bit. Luxo snapped, and one night I noticed her chasing around the poor firefish. The firefish was faster though. Then the firefish disappeared. At first I checked the sump, then the floor, then concluded that it was finished off. It sucked, but I suppose I’d have to stick with three happy fish. Or two…

After coming back from a weekend trip, I noticed the obvious absence of my royal gramma. Instead, there was a fat clownfish proudly swimming across its tank, surveying its whole territory. It no longer hosted the torch too much. The world was its torch coral! At the time, I didn’t really believe that the rapid deaths of my firefish and royal gramma were the clown’s fault. In fact, I assumed that once more, there was a disease outbreak. Thus, I netted an angry Luxo and stuck her into a quarantine tank. The goby was too difficult to catch, and at this point I was making plans to upgrade my tank.

Over a month later, nothing showed up on the goby, and I grew suspicious that Luxo was the actual disease within the tank…

These suspicions grew when I upgraded the tank, and was finally able to catch the goby and put her into the quarantine tank with Luxo. Not within two hours, I checked in on the fish and found Luxo angrily swimming around, with a completely shredded up goby. My initial reaction was “oh, God, she did it again,” and at this point knew that she murdered every other fish, all behind my back. But this time, I got her!! Fortunately, the goby was still alive, though definitely shaken up. I decided to skip quarantining the goby and gave her a nice home in the 40 breeder. Sadly, she now has a very screwed up tail with no signs of healing.

4CC03025-91A4-4A3F-B5A8-110224FAC54F.jpeg

So, I believe I learned my lesson to never trust a clownfish. Or, at least this one. At the moment, I have no intention of moving Luxo into the larger tank, but I also can’t get rid of her. It’s weird—as evil as she is, she’s still my little clownfish friend! After all, she is my profile pic!! So for now, it’s fishy jail for Luxo! Bad clownfish, bad!!

6D5A40F2-7DBA-4CFB-B980-6224DB70F2F2.jpeg

I hope you enjoyed my little story, and I hope I taught a valuable lesson to anyone who thinks clownfish are fun, friendly, and cute. Spoiler alert, they ain’t…

Last edited:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

It started out with two tiny ocellaris clownfish, no larger than an inch. They quickly made a nice home in the quarantine tank, and even formed a close pair inside their small PVC pipe. Things seemed to be going great with them! Luxo would occasionally kick Nemo out then invite him back in, which was quite normal in pairing behavior from what I could tell.

Fast forward a few weeks, and they were the first two fish in my display tank (at least in a very long time)! They did typical clownfish stuff—hosted my torch coral to death, picked on the inverts, and so on. At this point, something became noticeably off about Luxo. She stuck very close to her torch (my second torch, that is… :rolleyes:), warded off Nemo, and made water changes a hassle, starting to follow my hand wherever it went.

A few months later, enter Eve, the Aurora goby. At the introduction of this fish, something snapped inside Luxo, and she decided to harass Nemo to death. It was upsetting, but definitely something that happens from time to time in clown pairs. That was barely the bad part. I could not even attempt to clean the algae at this point. The little bugger would literally jump out of the water just to bite my hand! There were instances in which she’d even draw blood! A one-inch fish leaving marks!! It was here that I knew I had a mean-a** fish.

Over three months later I tested my fish luck again, and added a royal gramma. Luxo actually handled this quite well! The gramma, named Zurg, was able to hold its own and evade the clownfish. The two hung out often, with few signs of aggression. Of course, my hand was still the primary victim to the “devilfish”.

Well fast forward a little while longer, and I chose to round off the stocking with a firefish. Luxo seemed well behaved at this point, and only cared about its “anemone” (a ticked off torch). But things went swimmingly—for a bit. Luxo snapped, and one night I noticed her chasing around the poor firefish. The firefish was faster though. Then the firefish disappeared. At first I checked the sump, then the floor, then concluded that it was finished off. It sucked, but I suppose I’d have to stick with three happy fish. Or two…

After coming back from a weekend trip, I noticed the obvious absence of my royal gramma. Instead, there was a fat clownfish proudly swimming across its tank, surveying its whole territory. It no longer hosted the torch too much. The world was its torch coral! At the time, I didn’t really believe that the rapid deaths of my firefish and royal gramma were the clown’s fault. In fact, I assumed that once more, there was a disease outbreak. Thus, I netted an angry Luxo and stuck her into a quarantine tank. The goby was too difficult to catch, and at this point I was making plans to upgrade my tank.

Over a month later, nothing showed up on the goby, and I grew suspicious that Luxo was the actual disease within the tank…

These suspicions grew when I upgraded the tank, and was finally able to catch the goby and put her into the quarantine tank with Luxo. Not within two hours, I checked in on the fish and found Luxo angrily swimming around, with a completely shredded up goby. My initial reaction was “oh, God, she did it again,” and at this point knew that she murdered every other fish, all behind my back. But this time, I got her!! Fortunately, the goby was still alive, though definitely shaken up. I decided to skip quarantining the goby and gave her a nice home in the 40 breeder. Sadly, she now has a very screwed up tail with no signs of healing.

So, I believe I learned my lesson to never trust a clownfish. Or, at least this one. At the moment, I have no intention of moving Luxo into the larger tank, but I also can’t get rid of her. It’s weird—as evil as she is, she’s still my little clownfish friend! After all, she is my profile pic!! So for now, it’s fishy jail for Luxo! Bad clownfish, bad!!

I hope you enjoyed my little story, and I hope I taught a valuable lesson to anyone who thinks clownfish are fun, friendly, and cute. Spoiler alert, they ain’t…
I know what you mean about it being weird that you have difficulty getting rid of an evil fish, because they are still your pet friend. If you have read my posts about my lawnmower blenny, you know I regret the day I was convinced he was the solutions to my GHA. Most people love theirs and their personalities. However, mine is just a "jerk", keeping it PG for for the kiddos on this site. there are many other words I would like to use instead ;). As much as I want to get rid of him, and I plan on doing it this coming weekend, I cant help but feel really guilty about it. I keep asking my husband if he is sure this is the course we should take. Hoping maybe he will have second thoughts, which will give me an excuse to back out. Added bonus, if anything goes wrong with the blenny continuing to upset the other tank members, it can then be his fault ;). It's going to be really hard for me to not know what happened to him after he leaves our care. As much as I look at him through angry squinted eyes, at least I know he is well cared for.

I guess this just means you need to get another tank just for your grim reaper murder fish ;).

I enjoyed your story, and now feel like I have vested interest in what happens with your evil fish. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s crazy!

Mine two clowns started off very happy and nice. Didn’t mind neon goby but didn’t like the introduction of a small mandarin. Also for the first few months nothing in terms of biting but then one day she went nuts and would attack every time I was near the tank. I stopped going in the tank for a few months except for cleaning if needed but mostly out. And then she calmed down a bit.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always heard this, and so enacted a ban on clownfish in the reef tank. However, the misses wanted a pair which means we now have a separate tank for them. They aren’t much over an inch and I’m already paranoid to put my hand in.

Meanwhile they swim every which way and act half dead only to attack like great whites the second food hits the surface.

They are cute though.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Should have known, that first pick looks like a bond villain

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

haha, one of my first clownfish 10+ years ago was an orange occy and she was mean as all hell! She never did accept a mate and bit the crap out of me. I learned if I wore an orange ring she would bite the ring instead of me. So that is how maintenance got done.

How about giving her a 5-10g to herself with a BTA since she likes using a host?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha, one of my first clownfish 10+ years ago was an orange occy and she was mean as all hell! She never did accept a mate and bit the crap out of me. I learned if I wore an orange ring she would bite the ring instead of me. So that is how maintenance got done.

How about giving her a 5-10g to herself with a BTA since she likes using a host?
That’s probably gonna be the plan. The 13.5 is currently functioning as a qt but once I’m done stocking my 40B, I’ll move her out of jail and put her in with a nem.
Consider it parole…

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think you will try more clowns in the 40G?
Debating it. I would like to give Luxo one more chance.
If not her, I still feel like clowns should be in there - it just feels right - but I’m not sure yet.
Obviously, I’ll keep you all posted!

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a gold stripe maroon that was about the same. Saw it grab a two stripe rabbitfish by the dorsal spines and push it around the tank anytime it got near the clownfish's nem. Killed a few smaller fish. Put her in a 29gallon by herself for a decade. Got bitten weekly. Still miss that fish. But no more clownfish ever!

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am forever feeling lucky when it comes to my clowns, especially when I read stories like these! I knew the risks when I chose clownfish and just hoped for the best. A year in, so far they are both lovely. The female (I've named her Elvira b/c she turned black) is bossy, and wants to be the first in line for food, but she's not aggressive. She likes to hunt amphipods in the sand all day and has this routine of following the shrimp around to pluck them where he digs, and following the tailspot blenny around, too. Sometimes my tailspot blenny even nips on her when she's too up his butt, and she doesn't retaliate at all. There was a short period of time when she would nip on my hands, but I was able to end that through working w/her on a food association. Now my hands = food and she just gets excited when she sees them, which I reward every time w/a little food. I was a little wary when I recently added a few tiny gobies, but she just wanted to study them w/interest when she finally noticed them -- no attacks, nothing other than a kind of "hey, what's that?" interest. I really hope the tank stays this peaceful in the coming years...

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had peaceful clowns until now...lol. The male bullied my Midas blenny since day one (about 2 months ago) and completely shredded then killed it a few days ago. IMO clowns can be either extremely peaceful or extremely vicious.
Sorry for your loss @Sharkbait19 I fell your pain.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two - Bonnie and Clyde. They have an official murder count of 21 other clownfish (1 of mine and 20 from the previous owner; the 20 isn't a typo). They leave my hand alone as their aggression seems limited to other clownfish.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two - Bonnie and Clyde. They have an official murder count of 21 other clownfish (1 of mine and 20 from the previous owner; the 20 isn't a typo). They leave my hand alone as their aggression seems limited to other clownfish.
Were the 20 clowns fry or was it originally a harem/colony?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the 20 clowns fry or was it originally a harem/colony?
The colony consisted of 22 clownfish of various sizes and types I'm told, and they slowly disappeared one by one over several weeks. Like Alien.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the names!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if the black occelaris are worse than the plain orange guys? I’ve never had an issue from the different colour morphs with orange as the main colour but black as the main colour was a different story. Maybe they’re similar to dogs in which certain morphs have a certain behaviour due to a certain hormone or gene.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back