Clown pair in Fluval 13.5?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’m sure by now many of you have become acquainted with Luxo. A super nasty clownfish with a major reputation for killing most living things. For some time now, she’s been living with a male in my 40 Breeder system, and has been pretty well-behaved, sticking to the anemone. Looking at the long term, though, I’m beginning to question whether she can remain in this tank. Recently, I’ve had multiple fish disappear without a trace, and the only fish to show some aggression was my coral beauty angel, who I removed and brought back to the store. Since then, I’ve been reluctant to restock, afraid of whether I removed the right aggressor, and if I should be weary of what Luxo might do. What I’d like to have is a peaceful reef diverse with different kinds of fish, but am worried that Luxo might be a limiting factor to all this. If I remove her and the other clownfish, perhaps I could once more keep small and docile fish.

Unfortunately, the only other system I own is my old Fluval 13.5, which I feel might be unsuitable for two clowns and an anemone. Based on all your experience, is this a suitable size for a clown pair, or would I be pushing it? While getting rid of the clowns like I had with the angel might make the most sense, Luxo seems to have become somewhat of an icon in my tank, and I’d almost feel wrong getting rid of her.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns defend small areas for their home and once settled, never stray to far. While certain species seem to be more agreessive that others, the small footprint of a 13.5g tank could be fully claimed, but can be done.

That being said, the 40g is an appropriate sized tank for a clown pair and a few others as well.

But if in fact she kills everyone, I can’t see this behavior changing for the better in a smaller tank, she would always need to be alone.

I’d rehome her, and start a fresh pair, both juveniles 1/2”, simple orange or black Ocellaris as they tend to be less agressive in the 40g. Fire fish, gramma, s hrimps make good tank mates.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns should be fine, mine never leave their corner, even for food they are weary going after food outside their home.

Do your clowns swim far? If so I think it would be wrong to put them in a smaller tank if they are making use of a bigger tank, if they stay in a small area then no issue.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t this a Maroon? If so 13 is too small in my opinion. Clowns really do not take up much space but I’m assuming this is a 5” fish.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s a mocha occelaris, most of her day is spent near the nem but she will go all around on patrol.
Oh I’d cram her in there and not think twice. There is a pair of occelaris with an anemone in a 12g tall at my office that have been there at least 7 years.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a 13.5 would work for two clowns and a BTA?
Or should I restock my 40B with aggressive fish that could handle clown aggression?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Isn’t this a Maroon? If so 13 is too small in my opinion. Clowns really do not take up much space but I’m assuming this is a 5” fish.
I think the general consensus is ocellaris and perculas are considered fine in smaller tanks but maroons and other larger species are not.

If Luxo is small ATM it may be OK for a while, but eventually will need a larger tank.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think Luxo and BF will be fine in an Evo with a BTA. If the BTA gets too large for your liking, you could start feeding it heavy, silversides and whatnot, and it might split quickly. Then put on your half inch rubber gloves and get your hands in there to get the second nem out :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back