OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if the black occelaris are worse than the plain orange guys? I’ve never had an issue from the different colour morphs with orange as the main colour but black as the main colour was a different story. Maybe they’re similar to dogs in which certain morphs have a certain behaviour due to a certain hormone or gene.
I was thinking the same thing. I should make a poll about it.
I know a lot of captive forms of cichlids are more tame in aggression, as well as other fish. Clowns to me seem the opposite - most of the meanest ones I’ve heard of are the black ones.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of captive forms of cichlids are more tame in aggression, as well as other fish. Clowns to me seem the opposite - most of the meanest ones I’ve heard of are the black ones.
Mine is black and she's not aggressive. Bossy, but not aggressive.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a black one and although the previous owner dubbed her a fish killer. She didn’t go after the lawnmower blenny I added or hasn’t turned on me or the other OGs in the tank.......... yet

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but it seems like it’s usually always the denial in these stories
Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

;)

Nano New

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two - Bonnie and Clyde. They have an official murder count of 21 other clownfish (1 of mine and 20 from the previous owner; the 20 isn't a typo). They leave my hand alone as their aggression seems limited to other clownfish.
That's funny, I named my two Bonnie and Clyde as well. The first Clyde managed to suicide and Bonnie picked on him a lot but she really got depressed after he was gone. When I moved her to the new bigger tank I got a new 'Clyde' and she seems to like him a lot better. She's also stopped nipping my hand...for the moment. We'll see how it goes.

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of Oscellaris clowns for 25 years, so if I put another fish in the tank back then, it had to be compatible with the clowns or the new fish left the tank. Those clowns ruled the tank and were treated like royalty even though they could be quite mean to newcomers.

02-08-03_clown_pair_going_on_twelve.jpg

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish do that BDSM submission dominance thing.

I have a few oscellaris pairs and they are all very well behaved and pamper their anemones. There is only minor flogging from time to time and the male digs it.

On the other hand, my cinnamon female tried to murder her husband the minute I introduced a nem, then proceeded to try to murder the nem.

My Clarkii pair has a love hate relationship. Some days there are tattered fins, followed by periods of the male sleeping on the couch. I don't know why he keeps going back to her, Its like he loves the abuse. Female clowns are devils for the most part unless they are oscellaris.

Last edited:

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the larger clowns, Clarkii. The female ripped the male to shreds. She tore every fin he had and bloodied him. I put her in the refugium. A few weeks later she landed on the floor because she jumped out of the refugium. I picked her up put her back into the refugium. She has been the wildest fish I have ever had. What I did was get her an anemone. Four anemones later, three died right after the shipping the usual turn upside down and croak. She hosted the new anemone, feeding it, sleeping in it. Soon she forgot the male clown. He has one side of the tank, she the other. I have tall rocks and decorations to break them up. Now she is sweet as pie. This was in a 125-gallon tank. She does not bother any other fish in the tank. It looks like I am lucky in that respect.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
I’d like you all to meet Luxo, the most evil clownfish out there!
777A4342-73C0-486B-996D-909A1C2C1AED.jpeg

It started out with two tiny ocellaris clownfish, no larger than an inch. They quickly made a nice home in the quarantine tank, and even formed a close pair inside their small PVC pipe. Things seemed to be going great with them! Luxo would occasionally kick Nemo out then invite him back in, which was quite normal in pairing behavior from what I could tell.

Fast forward a few weeks, and they were the first two fish in my display tank (at least in a very long time)! They did typical clownfish stuff—hosted my torch coral to death, picked on the inverts, and so on. At this point, something became noticeably off about Luxo. She stuck very close to her torch (my second torch, that is… :rolleyes:), warded off Nemo, and made water changes a hassle, starting to follow my hand wherever it went.

80FE65B1-0E32-4438-9674-BC2CB5124598.jpeg

Nemo (top) and a tiny Luxo (bottom) in their early days.

A few months later, enter Eve, the Aurora goby. At the introduction of this fish, something snapped inside Luxo, and she decided to harass Nemo to death. It was upsetting, but definitely something that happens from time to time in clown pairs. That was barely the bad part. I could not even attempt to clean the algae at this point. The little bugger would literally jump out of the water just to bite my hand! There were instances in which she’d even draw blood! A one-inch fish leaving marks!! It was here that I knew I had a mean-a** fish.

Over three months later I tested my fish luck again, and added a royal gramma. Luxo actually handled this quite well! The gramma, named Zurg, was able to hold its own and evade the clownfish. The two hung out often, with few signs of aggression. Of course, my hand was still the primary victim to the “devilfish”.

Well fast forward a little while longer, and I chose to round off the stocking with a firefish. Luxo seemed well behaved at this point, and only cared about its “anemone” (a ticked off torch). But things went swimmingly—for a bit. Luxo snapped, and one night I noticed her chasing around the poor firefish. The firefish was faster though. Then the firefish disappeared. At first I checked the sump, then the floor, then concluded that it was finished off. It sucked, but I suppose I’d have to stick with three happy fish. Or two…

After coming back from a weekend trip, I noticed the obvious absence of my royal gramma. Instead, there was a fat clownfish proudly swimming across its tank, surveying its whole territory. It no longer hosted the torch too much. The world was its torch coral! At the time, I didn’t really believe that the rapid deaths of my firefish and royal gramma were the clown’s fault. In fact, I assumed that once more, there was a disease outbreak. Thus, I netted an angry Luxo and stuck her into a quarantine tank. The goby was too difficult to catch, and at this point I was making plans to upgrade my tank.

Over a month later, nothing showed up on the goby, and I grew suspicious that Luxo was the actual disease within the tank…

These suspicions grew when I upgraded the tank, and was finally able to catch the goby and put her into the quarantine tank with Luxo. Not within two hours, I checked in on the fish and found Luxo angrily swimming around, with a completely shredded up goby. My initial reaction was “oh, God, she did it again,” and at this point knew that she murdered every other fish, all behind my back. But this time, I got her!! Fortunately, the goby was still alive, though definitely shaken up. I decided to skip quarantining the goby and gave her a nice home in the 40 breeder. Sadly, she now has a very screwed up tail with no signs of healing.

4CC03025-91A4-4A3F-B5A8-110224FAC54F.jpeg

So, I believe I learned my lesson to never trust a clownfish. Or, at least this one. At the moment, I have no intention of moving Luxo into the larger tank, but I also can’t get rid of her. It’s weird—as evil as she is, she’s still my little clownfish friend! After all, she is my profile pic!! So for now, it’s fishy jail for Luxo! Bad clownfish, bad!!

6D5A40F2-7DBA-4CFB-B980-6224DB70F2F2.jpeg

I hope you enjoyed my little story, and I hope I taught a valuable lesson to anyone who thinks clownfish are fun, friendly, and cute. Spoiler alert, they ain’t…
OMG! Wow! I love how you told that story! Sorry about your fish though.

I haven't had clowns in several years since I had my 80 gallon. I had a large Maroon clown that turned into a serial killer. I traded her in to the LFS right before I upgraded to my current tank. After that experience I totally lost any interest in Clowns....LOL!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if the black occelaris are worse than the plain orange guys? I’ve never had an issue from the different colour morphs with orange as the main colour but black as the main colour was a different story. Maybe they’re similar to dogs in which certain morphs have a certain behaviour due to a certain hormone or gene.
I just rehomed my breeding pair of midnight clowns (black ocellaris) because they suddenly declared thunderdome on the tank.

I added 2 firefish (because my other died of old age after 5 years) and they were hell bent on killing the new firefish. I was convinced that one was gone and the other was next, so I caught them (when they went to sleep, easy catch lol) and put them in an acclimation box.

The firefish came right out and the missing one came out a few days later!!

I sold the clowns and bought 2 frostbite clowns. From my research, the frostbite clowns are more peaceful.

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great story! I have a clown that is a terror also. I don't plan on adding any other fish in the near future. I really wouldn't care if my clown passed as the fish would be at ease.

Melanie D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
I’d like you all to meet Luxo, the most evil clownfish out there!
777A4342-73C0-486B-996D-909A1C2C1AED.jpeg

It started out with two tiny ocellaris clownfish, no larger than an inch. They quickly made a nice home in the quarantine tank, and even formed a close pair inside their small PVC pipe. Things seemed to be going great with them! Luxo would occasionally kick Nemo out then invite him back in, which was quite normal in pairing behavior from what I could tell.

Fast forward a few weeks, and they were the first two fish in my display tank (at least in a very long time)! They did typical clownfish stuff—hosted my torch coral to death, picked on the inverts, and so on. At this point, something became noticeably off about Luxo. She stuck very close to her torch (my second torch, that is… :rolleyes:), warded off Nemo, and made water changes a hassle, starting to follow my hand wherever it went.

80FE65B1-0E32-4438-9674-BC2CB5124598.jpeg

Nemo (top) and a tiny Luxo (bottom) in their early days.

A few months later, enter Eve, the Aurora goby. At the introduction of this fish, something snapped inside Luxo, and she decided to harass Nemo to death. It was upsetting, but definitely something that happens from time to time in clown pairs. That was barely the bad part. I could not even attempt to clean the algae at this point. The little bugger would literally jump out of the water just to bite my hand! There were instances in which she’d even draw blood! A one-inch fish leaving marks!! It was here that I knew I had a mean-a** fish.

Over three months later I tested my fish luck again, and added a royal gramma. Luxo actually handled this quite well! The gramma, named Zurg, was able to hold its own and evade the clownfish. The two hung out often, with few signs of aggression. Of course, my hand was still the primary victim to the “devilfish”.

Well fast forward a little while longer, and I chose to round off the stocking with a firefish. Luxo seemed well behaved at this point, and only cared about its “anemone” (a ticked off torch). But things went swimmingly—for a bit. Luxo snapped, and one night I noticed her chasing around the poor firefish. The firefish was faster though. Then the firefish disappeared. At first I checked the sump, then the floor, then concluded that it was finished off. It sucked, but I suppose I’d have to stick with three happy fish. Or two…

After coming back from a weekend trip, I noticed the obvious absence of my royal gramma. Instead, there was a fat clownfish proudly swimming across its tank, surveying its whole territory. It no longer hosted the torch too much. The world was its torch coral! At the time, I didn’t really believe that the rapid deaths of my firefish and royal gramma were the clown’s fault. In fact, I assumed that once more, there was a disease outbreak. Thus, I netted an angry Luxo and stuck her into a quarantine tank. The goby was too difficult to catch, and at this point I was making plans to upgrade my tank.

Over a month later, nothing showed up on the goby, and I grew suspicious that Luxo was the actual disease within the tank…

These suspicions grew when I upgraded the tank, and was finally able to catch the goby and put her into the quarantine tank with Luxo. Not within two hours, I checked in on the fish and found Luxo angrily swimming around, with a completely shredded up goby. My initial reaction was “oh, God, she did it again,” and at this point knew that she murdered every other fish, all behind my back. But this time, I got her!! Fortunately, the goby was still alive, though definitely shaken up. I decided to skip quarantining the goby and gave her a nice home in the 40 breeder. Sadly, she now has a very screwed up tail with no signs of healing.

4CC03025-91A4-4A3F-B5A8-110224FAC54F.jpeg

So, I believe I learned my lesson to never trust a clownfish. Or, at least this one. At the moment, I have no intention of moving Luxo into the larger tank, but I also can’t get rid of her. It’s weird—as evil as she is, she’s still my little clownfish friend! After all, she is my profile pic!! So for now, it’s fishy jail for Luxo! Bad clownfish, bad!!

6D5A40F2-7DBA-4CFB-B980-6224DB70F2F2.jpeg

I hope you enjoyed my little story, and I hope I taught a valuable lesson to anyone who thinks clownfish are fun, friendly, and cute. Spoiler alert, they ain’t…
I'm sorry to hear of your problems. You are not alone. I have a clownfish pair that have been banished to my 30 gal sump/refugium. They bullied every other fish in the tank. Chasing them and not allowing other fish to eat. I didn't want to get rid of them but also didn't want them terrorizing the tank. They seem happy now but the male still bites me every time I clean the tank. ‍

Last edited:

Atrumblood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a very funny story and a good read. My clownfish are definitely the bosses of the tank (mostly the female), but the only fish that tries to bite me is my lawnmower blenny. Scares the **** out of me every time even though I know it's coming. Lol

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t let my clowns get too cozy. I periodically move rocks around and use grippers to soft the sand they clear. They try and coax snails that slither into their end of the tank to leave, but they don’t bother anything else. At all. They feed and swim with all of the other fish. They do stick up for themselves when the chromies get a little rambunctious with their games of chase with the lawnmower.

I’m sorry yours were such jerks. :(. But I love that you treat them like a part of the family you tolerate because you love them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just rehomed my breeding pair of midnight clowns (black ocellaris) because they suddenly declared thunderdome on the tank.

I added 2 firefish (because my other died of old age after 5 years) and they were hell bent on killing the new firefish. I was convinced that one was gone and the other was next, so I caught them (when they went to sleep, easy catch lol) and put them in an acclimation box.

The firefish came right out and the missing one came out a few days later!!

I sold the clowns and bought 2 frostbite clowns. From my research, the frostbite clowns are more peaceful.
I’ve also found white dominant occelaris clowns to be peaceful. Again, this could be coincidence but I’ve looked after 4-5 morphs of occelaris, orange and white dominant clowns were the most peaceful, black werent peaceful. I love the unusual look of my black photon but the aggression that comes with them isn’t great (Not bad but not great either).

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always read stories like this, yet my spawning pair of clarkii clowns (which are supposedly larger and much more aggressive than ocellaris and percula) barely even flinch when other fish go past, guarding about 6" past their anemone in any direction when they have eggs, otherwise not at all. They also don't bite me or my wife. They're in a 75 gallon with a wide variety of other fish.

Only mean clown I've had in the past was a large tomato, and she was fine with anything besides other clownfish. And of course groups of juvenile clowns fighting for dominance with one another, but that's expected.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 168 73.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back