Mehaffy's 1100+ gallon Plywood display in North Alabama

Yanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing I think I have figured out is what to put on the bottom to protect the epoxy from chips from the rocks. We had this plastic at work that looks like corrugated cardboard but its really plastic. We were not using and going to throw it out so I brought a couple 4x8 sheets home. Its about 3/16" think and I think it will be great under the rocks. I took a picture of the end so you can see the corrugated .
IMG_3790.JPG
IMG_3791.JPG
It’s called corex :)

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mehaffydr I'm not sure how the costs would break down, but you could use the filtered water at the big machines at Publix to leak test. We use that when I need clean water in a pinch. I know the one by us does sediment filtration, activated carbon filtration, RO, post carbon, UV.. just no DI. It's like $1.35 for 5 gallons here.
I have no idea how that would compare to the cost of using up your filter.
Do you think Publix would mind if I pull a small tanker truck up to the lobby

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the love of all things that hold water! Nice work. I just found this build. I have a fish suggestion a Fowleri Tang. My tank is to small for one, but they are beautiful.
That is a beautiful fish I had never seen one before. Defiantly on the list

thanks

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drum roll please I'm not sure how much I'm going to sleep tonight. This project has been 5 months in the making. I finished the return plumbing this evening and tomorrow I will be filling this big plywood box with Water. So this final picture of the tank and completed plumbing will be the last time you see this thing dry. Provided all goes well with the test I will drain and start with RODI. I also need to start assembling the aquascape.
One last thing is I have been working on a stocking list thanks to those that have made suggestions. Just one question are Mermaids Reef safe? I will explain this question more tomorrow.
IMG_3795.JPG

IMG_3794.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most impressive thing about this is how fast you are making progress. I’m too indecisive to go this fast, so jealous.
Thank You I spend a lot of time on this project believe me I am hearing from my wife about it but its hard to slow down.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so about 70 gallons so far and all is well. I decided not to fill with tap water and just go for the RODI. I have a high level of confidence in this holding water and just wanted to get the good water started. I had already filled 2 Brute cans so I pumped them in and then what RODI I could produce from my little 50GPD RODI. I also started some rock building. That's over 100 lbs of rock but sure looks small in this tank.
IMG_3810.JPG
IMG_3812.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am close to 100 gallons with the water I had already filtered and todays water. I can't wait for the new RODI from BRS. I should've had it shipped overnighht.
I did do a little more rock work. This is approx. 200 lbs of rock I have at least another 300 lbs that was in my old system so I think I have plenty of rock.
IMG_3816.JPG

From above
IMG_3818.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've discussed this before but I totally agree on the Lt tang. I love mine as well. Definitely an underrated fish. They don't get super long but they can get super fat. :0) Highly recommend!

As for filling the tank, why worry about the resin? It's not so expensive it'll break your budget... it'll just take longer to fill on the test run. If you can then use the water that's already in there it'll be a win. If you do fill with tap, just add some de-chlorinator in there. I suppose the same rationale applies to the tanks. You'll only save a few bucks if you wait for the dollar a gallon sale. Probably better off getting those things now, set up, and filled with fish as soon as you can.
I decided you were right I am just going RODI right from the start. I am filling now and when full I will let it sit for a few days and if all is good I will add salt and mix right in the tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%

Back