Mehaffy's 1100+ gallon Plywood display in North Alabama

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now just have to decide what to use. I would like to use 3/4" plywood because the laminate structure of plywood would give more structural support but the only place I can find 10' plywood in Menards and the closest on to me is a 3 1/2 hour drive one way in Paducha KY. I'm thinking I may go with a good hardwood like Oak, Birch or Maple. But with solid wood there is a chance it could bow and actually aid the tank in bowing. @AlexG @Red_Beard what do you guys think
I am thinking solid wood but plywood on edge can be just as strong. While the engineer might think its over thinking it I would rather over build than under build. It's not a for profit project so the cost of additional structural support cannot hurt. I agree with @red_you should be able to park a truck on it or maybe two trucks.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I would avoid is screw heads on the seal area for the glass. Just do top down screws into that plywood. Then horizontal screws into the tank below the seal area of the plywood.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I would avoid is screw heads on the seal area for the glass. Just do top down screws into that plywood. Then horizontal screws into the tank below the seal area of the plywood.
Agreed with @Alex. Or if you feel they are necessary at least counter sink them good so there is no way they interface with the glass and there is plenty (3/32 or so) of space for silicon between the head and the glass.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only experience is the shelf I added on our shed to set drinks on or whatever when we are outside. Pretty sure I have enough bracing that you could sit multiple full kegs on it. So yea, if you can't park a truck on it, it's not strong enough.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the repair going?
I have not really made any progress this past week. I did get 4 coats of epoxy paint on but then I went out of town on a 5 day RV trip. I will be starting the shelf reinforcement this week and should be ready to install the glass the weekend after Easter.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get some sanding done tonight getting ready to add the additional reinforcing that will also be a small shelf. Thsi sanding is the be sure I get a really good glue bond. The screws will help reinforce but a good glue joint is key as that is a continuous connection
IMG_3923.JPG
and will offer the most support. I will be doing some additional sanding before I consider it ready.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a good surprise this evening. I have my 2 clown fish and a few Rose Bubble tip Anemone in a 40 gall holding tank. I turned off the powerhead to feed and found a very small baby Anemone on a rock. I've had them split before but never found a baby. Its about the size of a penny
IMG_3922.JPG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get some sanding done tonight getting ready to add the additional reinforcing that will also be a small shelf. Thsi sanding is the be sure I get a really good glue bond. The screws will help reinforce but a good glue joint is key as that is a continuous connection
IMG_3923.JPG
and will offer the most support. I will be doing some additional sanding before I consider it ready.
Looking good. Looking forward to seeing this shelf. Looks like the glass needs some cleaning :)

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Looking forward to seeing this shelf. Looks like the glass needs some cleaning :)
The shelf is getting built today and should be installed this weekend. Then I can finish the epoxy paint and get the glass installed. Of course after I clean it!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent most of the day working on the tank. I was able to get the support shelf built and installed.
Started by adding a piece of 3/4" plywood across the from at the bottom of the window opening.
All plywood used on this is 3/4" thick. This piece is installed using Titebond 3 wood glue and 28ea. 4" Lag screws.
IMG_3924.JPG

I then installed the actual shelf piece also using Titebond 3 glue and using Stainless wood screws not sure how many but a lot. I installed a screw. I then install an additional support under the shelf and securing this with again a lot of Titebond 3 and a lot of stainless steel screws every 2" so the shelf is now 1 1/2" think. I still need to do some sanding and cleanup work of rounding corners and trimming off that lower piece of plywood so that it is in alignment with the angle of the shelf. I will get that completed tomorrow and start epoxy painting the inside. I should have glass installed sometime this upcoming week. most likely Thursday or Friday just have to see when I can recruit some help.
IMG_3925.JPG

IMG_3927.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did actually work on the tank also. But it was difficult with such a full belly.
I sanded the shelf, Applied wood filler to the screw head holes and applied one coat of epoxy paint to the interior side of the shelf. 2-3 more coats of paint and I will be ready to install the glass.
IMG_3930.JPG

IMG_3931.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another coat of paint on the reinforced area tonight. So now I will let the Epoxy fully cure and later this week most likely Thursday or Friday I will get the glass installed for the second time. My 7 tubes of Black Silicone arrived today So all I need to do is clean up the glass real good and get it installed. Then the countdown to water test can start. I will need to give it a few weeks but I have plenty I can be working on.
1. I am building a shelf over my sump to hold the skimmer.
2. I will be painting the shelf and the entire exterior of the tank.
3. I am going to build a rack that will hold 2-3 40 breeder aquariums for Quarantine area.
4. I still need a RODI holding tank and salt mix tank station.
5. I will need to get the Aquascape rebuilt and back in the tank as I had to break some apart to get it out.
6. I have to build some type of canopy/wall around the top so the lights aren't blinding.
7. I may repaint the floor because I messed up the nice paint by spilling some of the black epoxy paint on it.

So as you can see there still a lot to do. Hopefully all of this is complete by the end of summer which would be one year since starting in Sept 2020
below is tonight's picture.

IMG_3935.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking really nice. Can't wait to see this tank running again. For RODI storage look at HDPE tanks as they come in all shapes and sizes to fit your space.
Thanks Alex. Its really kinda crazy at one point I was asked when I thought this would be completed and I said I was planning for Jan 1. Now 3 months later I am looking at getting water in it for a test in another month. The amount of work that goes into a project like this is just not possible to comprehend unless you've done it. I dedicate a lot of time to this tank (just ask my wife) and I am now at 7 months.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mehaffy's 1100+ gallon Plywood display in North Alabama 2.0​

Well today was the day. Glass in back in the front of the tank :D:D:D
Now I will reinforce the side glass with the same basic wood beam on the inside with fiberglass and epoxy paint over the next couple of weeks and start next fill test approx May 1.
IMG_3939.JPG

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back