Mehaffy's 1100+ gallon Plywood display in North Alabama

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
My heart stopped when I got to the leak picture of your build! I had that same thing happen to me when I built one in high school! It was next to my bed and woke me up at 1am to water gushing out the bottom of the tank in a similar fashion! Mine was due to a lack of a center brace in the stand!
learn something new with each build!
That is a nightmare fuel lol. I’m sorry to hear that happened to you though. I have my large aquarium in my basement and always run downstairs when I hear a weird noise in the middle of the night.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought Id post a quick update. Hypo is going smooth so far Salinity holding very steady at 1.009. I still have a couple weeks to go but I can say all fish are eating great and my Orange shoulder tang that I was most concerned about because of Ich and he was so thin is getting fat. In a couple weeks I will raise salinity but I will not be able to put the small amount of corals I have back in because they are in QT fallow until April.
One thing that I have noticed is that the Hypo has wiped out all nuisance algae and coraline but does not seem to be affecting snails. I took out as many as I could find but randomly I am seeing a few in the tank on the glass and rockwork.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a setback. Patience is truly the name of the game in reefing.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s always ups and downs and for those who have followed this build you know I’ve had some downs. But today I’m super happy about a real positive. Early on in my dealing with Ich just about 6 weeks ago I had a Orange Shoulder tang that had Ich and was so thin I thought fore sure he was a goner. His upper body was so thin you could clearly see his bones. First pick is from then.
AA2F880A-C518-40B0-A447-0DDA3A767077.jpeg

this next picture is what this same fish looks like now. He is getting fat and really looks like a good healthy fish
FF6D017A-09CA-413A-9DA8-88BE0ABF5129.jpeg

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see the ups keeping you excited about the tank as you go through hypo!

Any chance we can get a full tank shot or video? It would be awesome to see how the fish utilize the aquarium and their size relative to this monstrous build .

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What has resulted in his recovery? More nori I assume? That is what led to my tangs getting really thick. :0)

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think love and affection was the key

ok now serious I feed a lot of nori fill 2 clips twice a day and I also feed a lot of frozen LRS. I also added extra Mysis which seamed to really get him eating at the beginning. Once he started eating good he’s been a total pig.
Also getting the Hypo going to get rid of the Ich helped

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some live rock a few weeks ago from Gulf Live Rock. I have had it in Quarantine and I have been looking for critters. Haven't seen much just a few Brittle stars. Then tonight I see 2 Sea Urchins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see the ups keeping you excited about the tank as you go through hypo!

Any chance we can get a full tank shot or video? It would be awesome to see how the fish utilize the aquarium and their size relative to this monstrous build .
I have been in Florida all week. Boy was that nice 85 and sunny all week.
Here is a video I shot tonight. Fish are doing great. Tank kinda looks like a dessert, No coraline or algae. I have all corals moved to a QT for 76 day fallow.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in Florida all week. Boy was that nice 85 and sunny all week.
Here is a video I shot tonight. Fish are doing great. Tank kinda looks like a dessert, No coraline or algae. I have all corals moved to a QT for 76 day fallow.

Your videos are set to private.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck reaching the nori clip back out!
That's funny you noticed that. I was out of town this last week and my wife who is inexperienced at magnetic nori clip containment lost that while trying to feed. I actually do have a net with a 30" handle so I will be able to retrieve it.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that side of the nori clip has a magnet, a steel washer on fishing line. If it has no magnet then use a magnet on fishing line for getting it out. ;)

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just spent the last hour or two cleaning the tank. Changed filter sock and cleaned glass.. I had to scrap the glass down at the bottom with a razor blade as I get some dark green algae that the magnetic scraper wont get. I maybe should have made this tank just about 2-4" shorter. Lets just say I did get my hair wet a couple times leaning over trying to reach the bottom. But its worth the effort now that its nice and clean. I just have to be carefull not to reach to far and fall in :D

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just love the orange shoulder tangs. My first I had to rehome after 4 years but he is now (with his brother foxface) in a 12 foot tank. They still sleep side by side in a rock eddy. Marvelous herbivores.

My current is still a 3" juvenile with another foxface buddy. Late March they will have a 10' raceway frag to keep clean.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back