Melanarus/pencil wrasse with berghia Nudis

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I have an aiptasia outbreak and do not want to chance getting a peppermint shrimp (Heard they can go after euphyllia)
Will my wrasse eat up the expensive Berghia Nudis?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I have an aiptasia outbreak and do not want to chance getting a peppermint shrimp (Heard they can go after euphyllia)
It’s highly likely you’ll end up with the Mel hunting them down. Most Pseudojuloides species anre unlikely to hunt nudibranchs.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used berghia before in wrasse dominant tanks with no issue. The trick is to add the berghia at night while the wrasses are sleeping. Berghia are nocturnal they hunt your aiptasia while your wrasses sleep, during the day the berghia hide in deep crevices in your rocks where it's difficult for wrasses to reach them. Of course your wrasses may get lucky and pick one off on occasion, but for the most part the berghia hide well.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used berghia before in wrasse dominant tanks with no issue. The trick is to add the berghia at night while the wrasses are sleeping. Berghia are nocturnal they hunt your aiptasia while your wrasses sleep, during the day the berghia hide in deep crevices in your rocks where it's difficult for wrasses to reach them. Of course your wrasses may get lucky and pick one off on occasion, but for the most part the berghia hide well.
To add to this: once berghia eat an aptaisia they will taste like aptaisia. The wrasse might pick at them but most likely spit them back out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys,
Potential food. They are hunters

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tried it before with my two leopards. They ate them even when added at night, must have hunted when the lights turned on. Melanurus are active invert eaters as well so I would assume it will end up hunting them down in the rockwork

OP
OP
eqbal9947

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have any suggestions?
I have a garden of torches that i worked hard to establish and have some trachys that id hate to lose.
I heard the filefish go after LPS and Ive seen a video of a peppermint destroying a torch for no apparent reason

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have any suggestions?
I have a garden of torches that i worked hard to establish and have some trachys that id hate to lose.
I heard the filefish go after LPS and Ive seen a video of a peppermint destroying a torch for no apparent reason
Your melanurus would likely eat peppermint shrimp (all of my mels have). Give the berghia a chance. If berghia nudis are active when the lights are on it's because they are starving and desperate to find aiptasia, otherwise you should never see a berghia nudi during the day while your wrasses are active. I've had berghia in with multiple halichoeres and macropharyngodon wrasses, the berghia can get the job done, albeit rather slowly, as long as you have enough aiptasia to keep them thriving.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 72 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back