Melanarus swollen gill fast breathing

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through the same with my Wrasse but I haven't been able to catch him to move him to the QT. I set up a trap for two weeks and he never went near it. I've tried catching him when he's laying on the bottom but as soon as I approached he'd swim away. Draining the tank to catch him is not an option, I don't want to stress out the whole tank doing so. Reading through this thread I would be doing the same you have done but it seems to not have any effect which is discouraging. I feel so helpless watching him breathing heavy laying on the sand, all the other fish are doing great and no signs of any ailment.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you had better luck JD371

@ngoodermuth the wrasse is still in similar condition. Doesnt eat, mouth wide open, fast breathing and swollen gills. Its been weeks like this now. Been trying different frozen foods and live white worms. Did another round of meds after the last posts and no improvements. Any thoughts on this guy.
I feel really bad for him he has lost weight at this point im considering euthanasia again, It looks like its just slowly starving to death.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The antibiotics you mean? Or the general cure?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General cure, furan 2 and kanaplex.
He is more active again but not eating.

The furan-2 and Kanaplex, how long did you run them? 14 days?

And I know you mentioned you might try to get NFG, any luck there? The fact that he perks up every time antibiotics makes me think it is just a very stubborn infection, might need stronger antibiotics.

I had a flame wrasse that was a similar situation. Every time I would finish a course of antibiotics and pull the meds, he would decline. I ran two courses of one set of antibiotics and a full course of another, and eventually I just had to pull them and let whatever happen, happen. He did pass, unfortunately.

Last edited:

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you had better luck JD371

@ngoodermuth the wrasse is still in similar condition. Doesnt eat, mouth wide open, fast breathing and swollen gills. Its been weeks like this now. Been trying different frozen foods and live white worms. Did another round of meds after the last posts and no improvements. Any thoughts on this guy.
I feel really bad for him he has lost weight at this point im considering euthanasia again, It looks like its just slowly starving to death.
Still the same. There are moments when he's active and looks to be improving and then I'll find him on the sand or laying on the Tyree leather coral again breathing heavy. I broadcast feed and I have seen him scoop up some Reef Frenzy bits while swimming around the tank.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked for nfg from where i got the other stuff but noT available. Yes i ran all 3 for 14 days. This time around i was doing a wc everyday and doing full dose of meds everyday. Ive been hoping it would start eating again so i can put meds in the food but hasnt eaten anything for a while now.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It died by the time i got home today unfortunatly. I assume it finally died of starvation. That sucks

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back