OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know the tapping doesnt help with “no stress” but just wanted to get it to move for the video. For the most part its just laying on its side like that and breathing heavy. Majority of the time when i walk by it gets up and does a little lap.

Im assuming the yellow tint in the water is natural from the furan 2 since the powder was yellowish.

Tried to feed it today but didnt eat. Still trying. I can try another methylene blue bath if that would help. But last night it looked worse after the bath then before.

When do i redose the kanaplex and furan 2 and general cure( as replacemnt to metroplex ) same time as prazipro?

Tomorow will be day 6 after prazi pro so i will dose the prazipro to the qt and dt

Im still feeding focus + metroplex food to the dt. Should i stop ?

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to feed today and yesterday it didnt eat. I saw a very thin white stringy poop stuck to it while its laying on the bottom.

Did another methylene blue bath today and did a wc on the qt. Today is 6 days after first prazi so i dosed the qt and dt with prazi. I added kanaplex furan 2 and general cure to qt aswell. The wrasse still has the swollen gills fast breathing and open mouth. It just lays on its side 95% of time.

Anything else i can do for it ?
Is this how this type of treatment usually goes, its my first time doing anything like this and not sure if im being impatient and it normally take this long to see any inprovement. Or is this fish so bad that its taking alot longer. What are the chances it will get better or am i just keeping it alive and suffering for a slow death ? Id rather put it out of its misery then to keep going with the treatments just for the experience.

Not sure what to look for, looks to me like its just slowly on the decline. Now its not eating and less active then ever. Maby this is the effects of meds though. I know prazi takes their appetite away.

@ngoodermuth Any thoughts on this

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also im still feeding the focus+metroplex food to fish in dt

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general cure isn’t being dosed every 48hours correct? You’d want just metronidazole, not the praziquantel each time.

If you were just doing the second prazi dose then that’s fine.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the general cure today for the first time as replacement for metroplex.
I did not dose metroplex into the water today but i have been following the directions for kanaplex(every2 days) and metroplex(every 2 days) and furan 2 (daily) up until today.

I take it since thats all you have to say then im just over reacting about the fish condition and being impatient?
Thoughts on my other questions ?
Should i continue feeding medicated food to fish in dt ?

@ngoodermuth

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the general cure today for the first time as replacement for metroplex.
I did not dose metroplex into the water today but i have been following the directions for kanaplex(every2 days) and metroplex(every 2 days) and furan 2 (daily) up until today.

I take it since thats all you have to say then im just over reacting about the fish condition and being impatient?

@ngoodermuth
I’d continue feeding medicated food but unfortunately infernal parasites are nasty in wrasses. A lot of the behavior we see with these meds is oxygen. Do you have a bubbler AND small powerhead breaking the surface? These medications can vastly decrease oxygen levels which is why this is paramount.

The fish is struggling but if it won’t eat we may not be able to cure it of internal parasites. That could well explain its behavior, perhaps and likely coupled with infections as mentioned. A weak immune state leads to multiple issues. It’s a sad reality these days. Sorry for your troubles, I hope this was helpful :)

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d continue feeding medicated food but unfortunately infernal parasites are nasty in wrasses. A lot of the behavior we see with these meds is oxygen. Do you have a bubbler AND small powerhead breaking the surface? These medications can vastly decrease oxygen levels which is why this is paramount.

The fish is struggling but if it won’t eat we may not be able to cure it of internal parasites. That could well explain its behavior, perhaps and likely coupled with infections as mentioned. A weak immune state leads to multiple issues. It’s a sad reality these days. Sorry for your troubles, I hope this was helpful :)

Thanks and it is helpful atleast gives me an idea of what im dealing with. Sounds like it may be to late for this one already especially if wont eat. Atleast im treating the dt now and all the fish in there are eating so can hope whatever got this wrasse wont get anyone else.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@ngoodermuth

I don’t think you’re over-reacting, there’s just not much more you can do at this point unfortunately :( Maybe an antiseptic bath, Methylene Blue might be helpful since it helps with processing O2.

Have we tried any type of bath yet?

Edit. Just went back and re-read. Saw you just did the bath.

I don’t like to recommend euthanasia, since I’m not there to observe the fish myself. You’ve tried almost everything, besides maybe different/stronger antibiotics like NFG or Triple Sulfa + Furan-2.

But, If the fish isn’t eating now...it will be very difficult to bring him back at this point. I wouldn’t blame you for whatever you decide.

Maybe try live blackworms to get a feeding response.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you’re over-reacting, there’s just not much more you can do at this point unfortunately :( Maybe an antiseptic bath, Methylene Blue might be helpful since it helps with processing O2.

Have we tried any type of bath yet?

Edit. Just went back and re-read. Saw you just did the bath.

I don’t like to recommend euthanasia, since I’m not there to observe the fish myself. You’ve tried almost everything, besides maybe different/stronger antibiotics like NFG or Triple Sulfa + Furan-2.

But, If the fish isn’t eating now...it will be very difficult to bring him back at this point. I wouldn’t blame you for whatever you decide.

Maybe try live blackworms to get a feeding response.[/QUOTE

Thanks @ngoodermuth
Would reef rally bath be any good ?
Will call around for live black worms right now. Anything else that might work. I know i can get live baby brine shrimp.

Same condition today. If i cant find any live foods and if reef rally isnt going to help then i think atleast ill take care of it instead of letting it starve to death and keep suffering

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @ngoodermuth
Would reef rally bath be any good ?
Will call around for live black worms right now. Anything else that might work. I know i can get live baby brine shrimp.

Same condition today. If i cant find any live foods and if reef rally isnt going to help then i think atleast ill take care of it instead of letting it starve to death and keep suffering

Reef rally is worth a try... although it could also be too much for him in his current state. But as a last-ditch effort before euthanasia, I’d say go for it.

Live brine might be good to try as well... but if he’s not able to swim around to catch them it might not work. The worms are a little easier to put in front of him.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried the reef rally yesterday and nothing better or worse. Yesterday no interest in food. Today i tried to feed again and it perked up once the food went in the water and was swimming around for a minute but still didnt take any. Maby its not ready to go yet.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i still have this wrasse in qt. It hasnt been eating still but for last two days its been alot more active. Its not laying on its side and when i approach the tank or put my hand near the glass it reacts quickly swimming away. Breathing isnt so heavy and id say the gill swelling has went down just a little bit. Mouth still wide open. Perked up when i added food but didnt go for it.

@ngoodermuth any ideas ?

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on euthanasia i feel bad watching it like that but i feel worse killing it. It already came back from this gash once. Hopefully it will recover from whatever it has now.

E9958126-E8D4-4926-A207-09BC98CE49A8.png

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get live worms? That might trigger a feeding response

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get live white worms. I just read that they are better to get feeding then blackworms because the stay alive in sw.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get live white worms. I just read that they are better to get feeding then blackworms because the stay alive in sw.

Either could work, sometimes live foods just help that feeding instinct “kick in”, especially if he’s looking more active otherwise.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back