OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ive been trying frozen brine and lrs. Thats mainly all i feed my fish sometimes some flake and pellet. It hasnt been taking any for days.

Before I left to get the white worms i tried some frozen again and it was eating! It was chasing the brine and lrs food around the qt. It was swallowing food not spitting it back out.

I just got back and got some white worms and micro worms. I dont know about micro worms but the guy told me they are good for saltwater.
Will try to give it some white worms tonight and read about the micro worms

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its going after the white worms aswell as the lrs/mysis/garlic combo i feed. Still open mouth. Still swollen gills and fast breathing but not nearly as bad.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell from your pics/video, but your sand looks a little thin for that Melanurus. I let my sand get thin, and my Melanurus acted stressed. Nothing like yours but sometimes hiding out of site for a while during the day, and he acted more spastic and stopped ripping nori off the clip. I don’t know for sure that is what it was but after I added more sand and made sure it stayed thicker, my Melanurus returned to normal.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth i stopped meds on the 12th after i did a big wc i havnt re dosed any more meds to the qt. Now that the wrasse has started eating consistently every time i give it food can i go back to feeding the meds ? Or go back to dosing into water? Or wait for improvment?

Also it still has swelling and fast breathing and a wide open mouth. Im wondering is the wide open mouth a sign of something ? It uses it to bite food but other then that its wide open all the time.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did see white-stringy poop with the wrasse correct? Have you seen any recently? How long was he treated with antibiotics? And he started doing better during, or after they were removed?

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant say ive seen it in the wrasse but i have in the anthias from the same tank the wrasse came from. I treated that dt with prazi and medicated food.

Prazi may1. Metro+focus may2. Metro furan 2 and kanaplex in water may5 General cure replaced metro on may 7. I followed dosing instructions on all meds until may 12. Also did reef rally bath and 2 methylene blue baths inbetween all that. On may 12 it started eating So i added a bunch of different foods. Because of that i did a big wc after to get the food out. I didnt redose meds or feed meds since then. Its been eating and more active since then

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant say ive seen it in the wrasse but i have in the anthias from the same tank the wrasse came from. I treated that dt with prazi and medicated food.

Prazi may1. Metro+focus may2. Metro furan 2 and kanaplex in water may5 General cure replaced metro on may 7. I followed dosing instructions on all meds until may 12. Also did reef rally bath and 2 methylene blue baths inbetween all that. On may 12 it started eating So i added a bunch of different foods. Because of that i did a big wc after to get the food out. I didnt redose meds or feed meds since then. Its been eating and more active since then
@ngoodermuth

Again just wondering if you think i should start meds again if so in water or feeding or just leave it for now and keep watching.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth

Again just wondering if you think i should start meds again if so in water or feeding or just leave it for now and keep watching.

Ok, if the anthias in the same tank had it then this guy would need fed the medicated food too, for at least 10 days. I would try again since he is eating better now.

As far as the antibiotics in the water, you did 7 days which is pretty close to a full course...10 would have been better, but if he seems to be doing better I would maybe just continue to monitor.

Can you get another video?

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so hes going backwards. Not really eating again since friday its been eating less and less. Today it was very very little. And its been less active aswell. Doesnt chase food and only take whats infront of his face.

I feel like i jinxed it and got happy too early.

Should i put it back on the meds since while medicated it started to eat. Any other ideas.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very bad quality video because of youtube but you can see fast breathing swollen gills and open mouth.

@ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would put the antibiotics back in and go a full 14 days this time. Although, he looks pretty bad...hopefully he can pull through :(

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would put the antibiotics back in and go a full 14 days this time. Although, he looks pretty bad...hopefully he can pull through :(
And should i add meds to his food if/when he starts eating ?

to me it still looks better now then before it started eating again.

When added the general cure a little earlier it perked up within 30 sec and was swimming around the qt. Does this make any sense ? Or is it a bad/stress thing.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And should i add meds to his food if/when he starts eating ?

to me it still looks better now then before it started eating again.

When added the general cure a little earlier it perked up within 30 sec and was swimming around the qt. Does this make any sense ? Or is it a bad/stress thing.

Metronidazole has antibiotic properties, so it could be infection... or it could just be a reaction to the meds themselves. It’s hard to say.

This whole situation has been not much more than a guessing game unfortunately, since we haven’t been able to clearly determine what is wrong with the wrasse. It could be infection, maybe intestinal parasites, and possibly flukes.

I know you’ve treated with prazi already, and I’d be a little nervous to suggest another freshwater dip now considering his condition... but we haven’t actually determined that the flukes were treated. There are prazi resistant strains out there...

Is he in a tank by himself still?

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metronidazole has antibiotic properties, so it could be infection... or it could just be a reaction to the meds themselves. It’s hard to say.

This whole situation has been not much more than a guessing game unfortunately, since we haven’t been able to clearly determine what is wrong with the wrasse. It could be infection, maybe intestinal parasites, and possibly flukes.

I know you’ve treated with prazi already, and I’d be a little nervous to suggest another freshwater dip now considering his condition... but we haven’t actually determined that the flukes were treated. There are prazi resistant strains out there...

Is he in a tank by himself still?
Yes still in qt by himself. In the dt everyone is still fine. Today actually i noticed this on midas blenny (very center, white spot on belly). Tang and all other fish show nothing. 7ED7CDF4-C99F-48E4-B377-9126B793A5E2.jpeg

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blenny is not stressed that i noticed, not chased and eats well. It hangs out with the anthias mostly.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be anything, brushed against something and ruffled a scale, piece of debris, someone nipped him in a show of dominance, etc...

Keep an eye out for signs of flukes, the DT was treated for them before you moved him to QT, correct?

If you notice excessive yawning, twitching, head shaking, scratching, etc might consider trying to catch someone to double check.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I can’t add much to what has already been mentioned but I know that you can add vitamin c (500 mg) powder or dissolve it then pour it i with some b12. The vitamin c will reduce stress on your fish and they will both help build the immune system. I would also try soaking your food in garlic guard.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back