OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get some metroplex, kanaplex, and focus. Also have some other meds that i see comonly recomended coming to me shortly. I think kanaplex wont help in this situation. Now since i have metroplex and focus is that better then the prazipro or should i stick to the prazipro

Still same swelling and heavy breathing but very active and eating.
Looking for effects of prazi on urchins. If no responses soon im going to go with the prazi in dt as recommended by @ngoodermuth

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I wonder if it ate something that became lodged and it is laboring to expel it?

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it because its still eating chunks of reef frenzy and spirulina brine.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update . Was wanting to know how Mel was doing.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it ate something that became lodged and it is laboring to expel it?

Or maybe it got the bad side of a bristle-worm?

Again, not denying flukes are present.., if they were in the dip container then that is pretty good indication that they are there. But, I don’t see this as a “typical” reaction to flukes... I’ve seen some pretty bad cases, but not that much swelling and no other fish showing symptoms.

The flukes could coincidental, or it could maybe be a secondary infection. It’s good that you’ll have antibiotics on hand.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if i should make a new thread.

My melanarus wrasse is acting weird swiming up and down the side glass around a powerhead. When i approach the tank he leaves the side glass and acts normally (swims around tank picking at rock and sand "normal") But for the last hour everytime i look over from my couch this is all i see him doing. Any ideas?

Short video of what im talking about

This is from a distance. If i approach the tank hes normal.

Is it possible he is seeing his own reflection and chasing it or? None of other wrasses or fish are doing this or anything else unusual.

This is from the wrasse lovers thread when i first got the fish. And i have another thread that either @melypr1985 or @ngoodermuth helped me with when it got a big gash on its side.

Could all that pacing have been a symptom of whatever it has now. By the way the pacing never went away. Would swim around and eat fine but always went back to pacing.

I dont know the effects of a bristleworm

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id really like to save the fish if i can. At this point the meds are costing more then 2 fish but thats not the point.

One positive from this is i found someone who could get me some meds. I have the prazipro, focus, metroplex and kanaplex for now. Getting furan2, general cure, ruby reef rally within a few days. Anything else i should have on hand, these are some of the more comon ones ive seen recommended. Ive never used copper but thats available at lfs without prescription.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its looking better today. Still active, havnt tried feeding yet. But breathing has slowed a little. And swelling looks like it went down a little aswell. Mouth still wide open.
Its been about 16 hrs so far. Tonight once it hits 24hrs ill do a wc and run carbon. Redose in 5 days.

I did notice one of the anthias have a long stringy greyish poop. Will the prazi take care of this or once the treatment is done do i use metroplex and focus.

All other fish look great. Along with meds i also got a new 125g tank so soon they will all have more space.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its looking better today. Still active, havnt tried feeding yet. But breathing has slowed a little. And swelling looks like it went down a little aswell. Mouth still wide open.
Its been about 16 hrs so far. Tonight once it hits 24hrs ill do a wc and run carbon. Redose in 5 days.

I did notice one of the anthias have a long stringy greyish poop. Will the prazi take care of this or once the treatment is done do i use metroplex and focus.

All other fish look great. Along with meds i also got a new 125g tank so soon they will all have more space.

Long stringy white poop is internal parasites. Treat them with metro or GC laced food for 14 days

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long stringy white poop is internal parasites. Treat them with metro or GC laced food for 14 days

And i do this after the second dose of prazipro or can i start feeding it right now?
Ive read that cant mix meds with prazi in the water. But i think its ok to bind metro or gc to food and feed while going through prazi. Right or wrong?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start feeding it right now, I have a hunch that may be much of what is wrong with your wrasse as well... lethargic and heavy breathing are symptoms of late-stage intestinal parasites. If it gets to the point where it won’t eat... it’s hard to bring them back.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start feeding it right now, I have a hunch that may be much of what is wrong with your wrasse as well... lethargic and heavy breathing are symptoms of late-stage intestinal parasites. If it gets to the point where it won’t eat... it’s hard to bring them back.
Since i dont have the gc yet ill just do the metro and focus. I dont know how to do that so have to search.

And just to be sure this is all ok in my mixed reef dt right ? Prazipro dosed in dt and metro+focus in food fed in dt

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, keep the skimmer running with the cup removed for the prazi. You want lots of aeration.

For the medicated food, turn off flow and feed small amounts at a time. Only as much as the fish can eat, so you don’t have too much “extra” floating around.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks @ngoodermuth and everyone else for the help. Im feeding the medicated food now and will continue for 10 days. Also will redose prazi in 5 days. Just going to wait it out now. And hope it gets better.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse still in same condition. Swollen gills fast breathing. Active. Didnt really take the medicated food yesterday, and trying to spoon it into the acclimation box scared it. When i turned all flow off it kind of scared al the fish and they werent going for the food as usual. Usually i keep the powheads on and broadcast the food. They like chasing it i think.

Will continue trying. If its doesnt eat any by the end of the day ill put it in a seperate qt and medicate the water.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed without turning the flow off. Hopefully to much meds dont leech into the water. And im running a bunch of carbon in a bag to deal with it.

This time all the fish ate some for sure.

How long does it take to start seeing improvement in the melanarus? Its still breathing heavy gills swollen and mouth open. Very active though and ate pretty good just now.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth @evolved @eatbreakfast

Im wondering if i should be seeing more improvements with this wrasse.

Still has swollen gills fast breathing and keeps mouth wide open.

Just wondering if it will get better or if im just prolonging its suffering.

Maby im being inpatient just dont like seeing it like this at all.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren't running carbon at the same time as Prazi, are you? Personally, I would run the Prazi for at least 48 hours before adding carbon, doing water changes, etc.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren't running carbon at the same time as Prazi, are you? Personally, I would run the Prazi for at least 48 hours before adding carbon, doing water changes, etc.

I added carbon about 36hrs after. I dosed prazipro.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36 hours after the prazi should be fine, flukes are mostly dead by around 10 hours exposure... as long as they aren't the prazi-resistant kind :/ For intestinal parasites, it can take a few weeks to be fully rid of them, but you should see some improvement within the first few days of feeding the medicated food.

It could possibly have a secondary infection from the flukes, which would require antibiotics in QT... Do you have any on hand?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back