Melanarus wrasse

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it common for a melanurus wrasse after coming home from the LFS to dive straight into the sand. I haven't seen him since I added him to the tank. Been about 2.5 hrs.

5altkreep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may stay buried for a few days. Dont go looking for him or disturb him. Perfectly normal, he will come out when hes ready.

OP
OP
Venzzla

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, I had to laugh my daughter who is 7 said what in the world when it did it. He didn;t last seconds when he hit the water. lol

OP
OP
Venzzla

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fun part is if you ever catch it coming out of the sand head first.
You called it, and I literally got up from dinner and said I wish he would come out. He popped that head out for about 2 minutes then came out. Been swimming ever since, what a beautiful fish!

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow and purple wrasse likes to stick just his head out for about 5 min and look around before coming out.

OP
OP
Venzzla

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow and purple wrasse likes to stick just his head out for about 5 min and look around before coming out.

The wrasse is becoming some of my favorite groups of fish. I have always been an angel fanatic but I tell you these wrasses are something else. Very interesting to watch

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse is becoming some of my favorite groups of fish. I have always been an angel fanatic but I tell you these wrasses are something else. Very interesting to watch

I agree, my next will be a leopard once I know I have the pods to support him.

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely normal.. I had one a while back that I didn't see for days. I had to break the tank down for some reason (don't recall why now) when I was pulling out the sand and he took off like a bullet, I had given up the fact that he might even still be alive. FYI, they are jumpers, if you don't have a lid, consider getting one.

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can confirm as well - took a day or two to come out. He tucks in every night before lights out now. Mine is always scanning the tank - great for any unwanted hitchhikers - but bad for desired inverts. CuC, cleaner shrimp, and emerald crabs have all fallen victim to him - but I still enjoy him.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do that when they are scared or going to sleep - very common.

Beautiful fish, Mine is about 3-4 years old now and he is one of the best fish I purchased. Model citizen, doesn't pick on ANYONE (except his reflection in the mirror, lol) and helps to keep the tank clean of most pests.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up my first melanarus this past weekend. My other wrasse buried himself immediately when I got him into the tank. This guy however, did this...

C72FEDF3-F200-4428-BF2B-9BFB3EC1317A.jpeg

Gave me a bit of a scare the first day playing dead like that. By the second day he had finally buried himself and by day 3 he was eating and behaving almost normally.

My last wrasse freaked out without sand. The container of sand didn’t work for him. I got really tired of watching him bang violently into the glass. I’m quarantining this guy with sand as I will do all my wrasses from now on. Using the Hanna checker I don’t find that it affects copper levels at all.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it common for a melanurus wrasse after coming home from the LFS to dive straight into the sand. I haven't seen him since I added him to the tank. Been about 2.5 hrs.

Very normal. Sometimes they hide for days or weeks when getting adjusted to a new environment.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up my first melanarus this past weekend. My other wrasse buried himself immediately when I got him into the tank. This guy however, did this...

C72FEDF3-F200-4428-BF2B-9BFB3EC1317A.jpeg

Gave me a bit of a scare the first day playing dead like that. By the second day he had finally buried himself and by day 3 he was eating and behaving almost normally.

My last wrasse freaked out without sand. The container of sand didn’t work for him. I got really tired of watching him bang violently into the glass. I’m quarantining this guy with sand as I will do all my wrasses from now on. Using the Hanna checker I don’t find that it affects copper levels at all.

Not all wrasses require sand. Fairy and flasher wrasses sleep in the rock.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back