Melanerus Wrasse Question

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will my male 5” Melanerus Wrasse (aka Hoeven’s or Wardley Wrasse) tolerate any other wrasses in the tank? I have a 90g mixed reef. Other inhabitants are diamond goby, mandarin, royal Gramma, and a pair of ocellaris clowns.

OP
OP
Roosterjack

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to keep these (the Melanerus) wrasses in a group? I know only one will be the flashy dominant male, but they are all attractive.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to keep these (the Melanerus) wrasses in a group? I know only one will be the flashy dominant male, but they are all attractive.
No it is not.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will my male 5” Melanerus Wrasse (aka Hoeven’s or Wardley Wrasse) tolerate any other wrasses in the tank? I have a 90g mixed reef. Other inhabitants are diamond goby, mandarin, royal Gramma, and a pair of ocellaris clowns.

How long has it been in there? An established one is likely to give new wrasse additions a hard time (mine still isn't thrilled about the Blue Star Leopard I added after it had been in for about a year, but they tolerate each other for the most part).

As mentioned above it isn't possible to keep wrasse in groups as virtually all wrasses transition to male in captivity. The best way to do them is to mix wrasses of different species like you are looking at doing.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will my male 5” Melanerus Wrasse (aka Hoeven’s or Wardley Wrasse) tolerate any other wrasses in the tank?
Cirrhilabrus or Paracheilinus should mix pretty easy with it. Other Halichoeres depend on the attitude of the particular melanurus that you have.
Is it possible to keep these (the Melanerus) wrasses in a group?
Not really. A group of females could be kept, but only for a limited time - they would all eventually try to transition to male and then it would be survival of the most dominant.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nephee has a melanarus, pintail fairy, and mccloskers flasher in his tank and all are doing well. These were added around the same time though, im not sure how an established melanarus would react.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have These with mine in a 185gl. The melanarus was in the tank 1st. Never had any issues.
Blackfin McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Multicolored Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse
Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse
Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back