Melanurus Wrasse and Other Wrasses?

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have a 90 gallon DT and I would love to get some wrasse. I will be adding coral in the future so I would prefer if they are coral safe, but I really wanted to get Melanurus wrasse. However, I promised the GF she could pick a wrasse for the tank. Are Melanurus wrasse compatible with other wrasses such as flashers and fairies. If you have any pictures of your Melanurus wrasses with another wrasse I would love to see them!

Current Stock List:
2 ocellaris clownfish
1 Blue Green Chromis
1 Foxface Rabbit fish

Planned Stock List:
1 Kole tang
1 sand sifting goby
1 neon blue goby
+the wrasses

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're compatible with other species, but you'll be limited to probably just one haliochores. If you want a leopard wrasse, I'd add that first. Otherwise they won't bother any fairy or flashers. See if you can find all the wrasses ;)

IMG_20180115_133559.jpg

Last edited:

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're compatible with other species, but you'll be limited to probably just one haliochores. If you want a leopard wrasse, I'd add that first. Otherwise they won't bother any fairy or flashers. See if you can find all the wrasses [emoji6]

IMG_20180115_133559.jpg

Good advice right here. That is what I would’ve said. For my 90 I’m planning on a Lineatus (fairy), Leopard and either a melanurus or yellow wrasse. The latter 2 are of the halichoeres genus and the reason they’re listed as reef safe with caution is sometimes they will eat tubeworms and even small shrimp if not fed well.
Beautiful tank by the way :)

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've currently have a H. melanurus, H. biocellatus, H. chrysus and H. ornatissimus.
I also have a M. ornatus, C. rubeus and P. carpenteri.

Everyone gets along OK, except H. ornatissimus will occasionally chase H. chrysus briefly about once an hour and I expect H. ornatissimus will have to go soon.

The Halichoeres wrasses don't seem to know the flasher or fairy wrasses are even in the tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The melanurus will be fine with other wrasses, though I would add the proposed wrasses before the melanurus.

As a note, most smaller Halicheores species can be kept together.

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're compatible with other species, but you'll be limited to probably just one haliochores. If you want a leopard wrasse, I'd add that first. Otherwise they won't bother any fairy or flashers. See if you can find all the wrasses ;)

IMG_20180115_133559.jpg
Beautiful tank! Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've currently have a H. melanurus, H. biocellatus, H. chrysus and H. ornatissimus.
I also have a M. ornatus, C. rubeus and P. carpenteri.

Everyone gets along OK, except H. ornatissimus will occasionally chase H. chrysus briefly about once an hour and I expect H. ornatissimus will have to go soon.

The Halichoeres wrasses don't seem to know the flasher or fairy wrasses are even in the tank.
Thanks for the info! Do you have any pics? I would love to see them!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice right here. That is what I would’ve said. For my 90 I’m planning on a Lineatus (fairy), Leopard and either a melanurus or yellow wrasse. The latter 2 are of the halichoeres genus and the reason they’re listed as reef safe with caution is sometimes they will eat tubeworms and even small shrimp if not fed well.
Beautiful tank by the way :)

They will also periodically eat snails and hermit crabs and there is a possibility of smaller ornamental shrimp. Mine definitely flips snails and the occasional crab, but can't stand my cleaner shrimp. The moment it gets tickled by the antennae it heads for the nearest rock for a quick brush. Mine also did a week of test nips at my hammer coral but didn't like the taste and has since left it completely alone.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, keep in mind that they get quite large and are sand sleepers; so you need to provide adequate sand depth. Not a Hoevens, but I have a large male dusky. He will give other wrasses some initial grief, and is murder on the CUC. He eats lots of bad stuff too, so is a net positive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back