Melanurus wrasse hurts bad! Need help!

Fish_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a melanurus wrasse that’s been in a tank w a tiny 7 inch yellow head moray eel. The eel has been in the tank for a few months now and never had an issue of being aggressive and has had multiple multiple multiple tank mates as I own a fish store. Today the wrasse startled the eel and he latched on and took a huge chunk out of the poor wrasse. He is swimming fine and is now in a shrimp tank letting the shrimp tend to his wounds. He isn’t acting funny or going crazy when the shrimp get on his gash, he’s letting them clean it. Other than bacterial medication so he doesn’t get a bacterial infection is there anything else that can be done or has anyone had any experience with this.

39EDDF39-62EC-4C77-B4A7-1CA2120921CB.jpeg

E3D31006-A92B-4560-853E-1B2EDD1F529F.jpeg

EC5FB3E7-4AF1-49C1-8AE0-76513CE6EFCE.jpeg

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a nasty wound. indeed lucky to be alive. if you can move to a quarantine tank and treat with antibiotics both in the water and also with food if hes eating. I've had a fish with a nasty wound years back and I even pulled out of water and put Fucicort (antibiotic with cortecosteroids) cream on the wound to help.

OP
OP
Fish_Addict

Fish_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@maroun.c I have in in a shrimp tank now letting the cleaners work on him and he doesn’t mind them on him. Also I feed all my fish vitamins or some kind of additive and he’s still eating like crazy. He was a trade in Bc he got so big and the guy who had him always fed the same so I’m hoping he has a very good immune system. Tomorrow I’m going to move him to a qt tank and start some medications and going to look for some of the cream to put on him. As far as antibiotics is they’re anything you’d recommend?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neoplex is like the fish version of neosporin... to treat the water column. I’ve also read that you can actually apply plain, original neosporin ointment for people directly to a fish wound, though obviously can’t say how well it will stay put underwater.

I’m curious to what some of the others might recommend... my first instinct is to stick with something milder like Neoplex or Kanaplex since antibiotics are only proactive at this point and there is no active infection.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a variety of things for you to try to help your beautiful wrasse to recover. If it was my fish, I'd do all of the below.
Putting the wrasse into a QT dosed with the trifecta of Kanaplex + Furan2 + Metro will help prevent bacterial infection.
Giving the wrasse a bath in Ruby Reef Rally as it has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities. Can do these baths in addition while the fish is in QT.
Lastly holding the fish in a wet towel, using a Q-Tip apply a very thin coat of regular neosporin to the wound. Recoat as necessary.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would source NFG if I was you. Methelyn blue (in NFG) would provide some relief and NFG is an amazing fish antibiotic. Nitrofuracin Green. I fear if you don’t use serious antibiotics it won’t make it, that’s a real bad injury. I’d use furan 2, metroplex, and kanaplex in the interim until you can get NFG. Good luck please keep us posted!

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a day or two swelling will be an issue, I’d dose epsom salt (pure uncented or organic) at 1 tbsp per 5 gallons. You can do two total doses, I’d do them 2-3 days apart. The swelling will really be an issue on day 2 or 3. Watch the fish and how it behaves to figure out when to start.

Good luck!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would source NFG if I was you. Methelyn blue (in NFG) would provide some relief and NFG is an amazing fish antibiotic. Nitrofuracin Green. I fear if you don’t use serious antibiotics it won’t make it, that’s a real bad injury. I’d use furan 2, metroplex, and kanaplex in the interim until you can get NFG. Good luck please keep us posted!
I agree ^^^^

Back