Melanurus Wrasse picking on Cloves?

Reefer37

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 30, 2019
Messages
364
Reaction score
157
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody had experience with melanurus wrasses or any other halichoeres wrasses going after cloves or similar coral?

My only thought is maybe he saw something on the frag, but when I watch it looks like he's going after the coral itself.

Could he be mistaking it thinking it's a tube worm or feather duster? I've always known these guys to be reef safe.
 
Well, after watching him literally pickup the frag and rip off one of the clove polyps I can definitely say he was picking on the coral itself.

I went ahead and cut up a water bottle to help protect the cloves for now until I figure out what I want to do.

Just wanted to let people know that this is definitely a possibility with these guys. So crazy, I always thought they were reef safe, I guess with caution.

IMG_20200427_181632.jpg
 
Just saw mine do it too. I thought I was just seeing things. Also thought maybe he was picking at some pods it worms on my clove!! Glad I’m not just seeing things.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new