Melanurus Wrasse

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a melanurus wrasse like 6 years ago and really like the fish so I went out to get one for my tank. I'm use to the below look:

lg-39358_Melanurus%20Wrasse_Male.jpg

But my LFS had one that they labeled as Melanurus but it was white. I thought maybe there's new species of them or something and didn't think otherwise so I got him. After couple days, I started looking more and found pics of Adorned wrasse that looks very much like the one I got so I just thought lfs mislabeled but I like the fish so no big deal.

lg78453AdornedWrasse.jpg

Fast forward a few weeks later, I was looking at him today and seeing more colors come out and it's starting to look more and more like the normal melanurus. Do they change color as the get older???

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a melanurus wrasse like 6 years ago and really like the fish so I went out to get one for my tank. I'm use to the below look:

lg-39358_Melanurus%20Wrasse_Male.jpg

But my LFS had one that they labeled as Melanurus but it was white. I thought maybe there's new species of them or something and didn't think otherwise so I got him. After couple days, I started looking more and found pics of Adorned wrasse that looks very much like the one I got so I just thought lfs mislabeled but I like the fish so no big deal.

lg78453AdornedWrasse.jpg

Fast forward a few weeks later, I was looking at him today and seeing more colors come out and it's starting to look more and more like the normal melanurus. Do they change color as the get older???
You could have gotten hold of a female/juvenile melanurus, all of the large common wrasses you often see (Pink streaks, possums and lined wrasses do not do this) will change from males to females, the male and female Melanurus are pictured below. With age the wrasse will become a male (All of the commonly seen wrasse except the Anampses and Macropharyngodon are known to do this)
B644627E-7B5E-4B41-A924-BAC2955E6838.jpeg

OP
OP
P

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have gotten hold of a female/juvenile melanurus, all of the large common wrasses you often see (Pink streaks, possums and lined wrasses do not do this) will change from males to females, the male and female Melanurus are pictured below. With age the wrasse will become a male (All of the commonly seen wrasse except the Anampses and Macropharyngodon are known to do this)
B644627E-7B5E-4B41-A924-BAC2955E6838.jpeg

Thank you. At first, I thought the same thing but it didn’t look like the female picture so that’s why I thought adorned. But good info to know! Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
While this is a juvenile, as long as one is a male, all will go smoothly. Two female with this genus is generally a war

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. At first, I thought the same thing but it didn’t look like the female picture so that’s why I thought adorned. But good info to know! Thank you
I’d love to see a photo of your Mel!! I don’t have one but have been looking at wrasses of close looks to them (Red lined specifically).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this is a juvenile, as long as one is a male, all will go smoothly. Two female with this genus is generally a war
I find this to be accurate (actually, I find this to be accurate with Any wrasse). Usually two males will fight to the death unless given enough room to escape - This is how I have the wrasses I have today. I have seen harems of 2 females to one male work out (Starting with 3 females) but in many cases, it will become all males. Again, the exception to this that I know of are Anampses and Macropharyngodon, I’m unsure about Possums and Pink streaks (In the future I’d love a group of about 5 of one of these two species).

LeeLoo Lola

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked one up at my LFS yesterday and am loving it already. It is my only fish so far to actually swim around the aquascape as I had hoped for. (Still a semi new tank). I’m very interested to see a picture of what you got.

Attachments

• 4396ADC1-860E-4578-A8E4-D9910F1586C1.jpeg
    4396ADC1-860E-4578-A8E4-D9910F1586C1.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 111

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back