OP
OP
UConnMel

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had upgraded my skimmer as you know. And I have a UV and chiller standing by but haven't connected them yet. Likely won't need the chiller until next spring now that the weather is cooler here, but would like to get the UV set up relatively soon since I want to add tangs and will hopefully keep any ich to a minimum. Plus help with water clarity in general.

hingisp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, I have a UV light, and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference at all lol.. Any way it's runs 24/7 non the less. Will be interesting to hear what you dosing your tank with and how you keep levels when things are stabilised.

OP
OP
UConnMel

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never dosed with anything primary because I've never kept SPS before. But now I've started collecting a few (addicting) and of course want them to be as colorful/healthy as can be. I've been asking around for what people dose with and trying to do a bunch of research before I dive into that can of worms.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef is coming along. I really like the red sea products also. Been running there salt for years and just completely switching over my test kits to red sea, also using No3/Po4x and reef engery products. I am going try out the coral colors next.

OP
OP
UConnMel

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef is coming along. I really like the red sea products also. Been running there salt for years and just completely switching over my test kits to red sea, also using No3/Po4x and reef engery products. I am going try out the coral colors next.
Will definitely be interested to see how you like the coral colors. Right now half of my problem is I'm not happy with my white: blue ratio of lights that came with the set up. I ordered another actinic bulb to replace one of the whites and hoping that will make some things pop more.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today it was suggested to get my PO4 down below .08 or lower and I will not need the reef colors. Just water changes with the Red Sea Coral Pro and the reef energy, then my corals will really take off with growth and color. I was getting some browning and unwanted hair algae. It has been an issue for about 3 months. I am getting a media reactor this week and I am going to run Rawa in the reactor instead of GFO, that was also suggested by the guys @WWC. I am running just live rock and a skimmer in my system plus the media reactor later this week. I have a retentively new setup at 10 months.

I am running LED's at 50%white and 100% blue using Orbit Marine LED's. I turned down my white to 35% and my color started fading, and I went back up to 50% white and things got much better too. years back when I had my old setup I was running two white and two blues with a self made lighting and canopy. I would run the blue for 12 hours and white 6 hours with timers. The setup then looked great all the time, but I had to much heat so I wanted to try something different this time with the LED's. I hope that helps. it is going to take some time for you parameters to settle in to really get your system balanced.

hingisp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the stock bulb setup is rather white In the red Sea setup. Think I only ran 2 whites if I can remember maybe even only one, with a pink and a couple of blues/actinic. If you like you can try the ATI range of bulbs, alot more colour choice to setup in that tank and over here they quite a bit cheaper than the red Sea bulbs.

OP
OP
UConnMel

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put together a ricordea garden! :D Just my opinion, but I think a group of these together is the prettiest thing you can have in a tank.
image.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put together a ricordea garden! :D Just my opinion, but I think a group of these together is the prettiest thing you can have in a tank.
image.jpg
They do look nice!

LE0

High end Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should check out the coral reef in stratford they have a beautiful selection of corals

OP
OP
UConnMel

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have missed it but what light fixture do you have?
Hi there, I just have RSM 650 stock lighting for now: T5s (5 white, 3 actinic, 2 pink) It's a little heavy on the white for my taste right now, but EVERYONE is has the actinic/blue on backorder. Does anyone know if other vendors, i.e. ATI, fit the RSM ballast?

OP
OP
UConnMel

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should check out the coral reef in stratford they have a beautiful selection of corals
I've been there a few times, and just got my new hippo tang from them. They are typically part of my route going from: Greenwich Aquaria, House of Fins, Exotic Fish and Corals, and then The Coral Reef. Going fish is usually an all day thing for us.... :confused:

LE0

High end Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got equipment for black friday instead of corals

OP
OP
UConnMel

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that chalice and monti next to it are unbelievable. Nice shopping... [HASHTAG]#superjealous[/HASHTAG] lol
Thanks! Unfortunately for my bank account (but exciting for my tank!) I also have shipments coming tomorrow from Pacific East Aquaculture and World Wide Corals. I'm just getting a frag of that monti, but I hope it grows well for me. So far my montiporas seem to do better than my acroporas. I'm still getting used to SPS, so hoping I'll be able to figure out my weak spots and be able to grow a nice variety.

hingisp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome stuff, well the tank still relatively new, so will take a while before everything settles.. I think mine is still settling to. But also some corals just thrive and others dive, no idea why... Guess the health in each piece counts for some of it.

Back