Messy Nori and its alternatives. What's best?

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 6 months old, and I'm trying to come up with the best option for feeding the tang gang and their vegetarian friends. I feed a lot of frozen, but supplement that with a daily nori clip of nori, and have lately tried BRS red seaweed in a feeder pouch.

They love the nori, but boy is it messy. As they tear into it, little pieces of nori dust scatter around the tank. The tube anemones I have next to the nori clip enjoy that, but it's still quite a mess. Is this normal for nori? I think I used to have some nori that didn't do this, but I wasn't paying attention and now I'm not sure. The nori I'm using now I got in a bulk pack from BRS.

The fish seem to like the red seaweed in the feeder pouch too, except they can't really get much out. After a few days, they barely put a dent into what was probably one days worth of food.

So what do people recommend for supplemental feeding for tangs? Should I just accept the messy nori? Get better nori? Something else?

Thanks!

Huey_Gnr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually pause my return pump and power heads for 20 minutes to let them eat to prevent it from scattering everywhere. After that I take out what’s left. My hermits handle the little bits, but with enough flow it should cycle everything into your filtration.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a full sheet cut in half on two clips per day in my 180. I agree it does make a mess but I haven’t found a better way to make sure all my tangs and angels get their greens?? I just make sure to stay on top of water changes and swap out filter socks frequently.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried something like this. It honestly took my fish a little to figure it out but it has worked really well for me.

Gourmet_Grazer_Pro_Magnetic_Seaweed_Fish_Food_Feeder_1__88463.1617731742.jpg

Innovative Marine

Gourmet Grazer Seaweed Feeder - Innovative Marine​

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried something like this. It honestly took my fish a little to figure it out but it has worked really well for me.

Gourmet_Grazer_Pro_Magnetic_Seaweed_Fish_Food_Feeder_1__88463.1617731742.jpg

Innovative Marine

Best thing ever! Soooooooo much cleaner! Check the YouTube link.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the grazer! It is good, much better than the nori mesh feeders I was using. I have two wishes for it though. First, I wish they made it in black. The blue color is much more obtrusive attached to the glass. Most things like this are made in black for a reason (powerheads, glass scrapers, etc). My other wish is that there was more of a compartment under the screen. As it is, it works well with nori, but it's hard to cram things like the red seaweed I'm using in there.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many feeders like that, some 3d printed in black. They even have a cylindrical one called nori nibbler

TBH though I just fold mine like this and put on a clip and it's not messy. Maybe the folding or the type of nori (mine is off amazon) keeps the mess down.

I don't do fish line business... I just fold mine up and put it on the clip and stick it to the glass. I guess the line method means no hands in the tank though and probably less ugly. So now I am thinking I need a fish line.. just to get the stupid ugly feeder off the glass. :thinking-face: :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many feeders like that, some 3d printed in black. They even have a cylindrical one called nori nibbler

TBH though I just fold mine like this and put on a clip and it's not messy. Maybe the folding or the type of nori (mine is off amazon) keeps the mess down.

I don't do fish line business... I just fold mine up and put it on the clip and stick it to the glass. I guess the line method means no hands in the tank though and probably less ugly. So now I am thinking I need a fish line.. just to get the stupid ugly feeder off the glass. :thinking-face: :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Nori nibbler looks nice, but it's for nori. I'm looking for something that can hold seaweed, which is a lot thicker than a sheet of nori. I have a bunch of the red sea veggies from Two Little Fishies. The basic pouch feeder would be fine, but the holes are too small.

SaltwaterSolutionsLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori nibbler looks nice, but it's for nori. I'm looking for something that can hold seaweed, which is a lot thicker than a sheet of nori. I have a bunch of the red sea veggies from Two Little Fishies. The basic pouch feeder would be fine, but the holes are too small.
We can make you one with a wider sleeve to accommodate the thicker seaweed. At no extra cost. Should I send message on here or on our Facebook page. Thanks.!

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pretty funny video of me feeding a piece of loose nori to the tank. (I took the video for this thread).

The naso swallowed it whole at the end.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pretty funny video of me feeding a piece of loose nori to the tank. (I took the video for this thread).

The naso swallowed it whole at the end.

Lol! I can relate. My foxface will grab a large piece and swim frantically backwards (to keep the tangs from getting to it) while inhaling as much as he can before he has to let go.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the Gourmet Grazer and it left too much nori trapped under the cover. This is what I have been using for years. Homemade mesh bag. The trick for me is fold the nori into a rectangle then cut it into strips from the bottom up but not all the way up so it can still be held in the clip without being in a bunch of pieces. They pull it out like spaghetti and the only piece left is the part directly under the clip which always goes to the naso. I get zero waste feeding it like this. 20230129_184839.jpg

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that some nori brand melts/disintegrate easier than others when exposed to water. Once I found that out, I buy the one that worked for me in bulk in case it runs out.

keeping mind it’s still messy with 20 fishes tearing into it, but it holds itself better then some brand in the current when the fish takes a break from not eating it.

Kwangcheonkim Sushi Nori Seaweed...

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cut one of the Julians Spring sheets in half and clip it side wide, so I have short pieces all around the clip instead of a long one. It works fine for me. When I give them the red algae, I put it loose in the tank, it does not shred like the green and purple one and as the fish really loves it it is gone fast.
It is fun to watch the red algae covered with little round bites, from my Eiblii Angel.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to buy nori from Whole Foods, was pretty cheap.

Then moved on to driving across town and buying bulk nori at an Asian Supermarket.

I used a clip, but I'd fold the nori over a few times and it did the trick for big pieces getting everywhere.

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Innovative Marine

Another vote for this thing. No more floaties as they rip into the sheets. I've also found that I can leave the nori in the tank longer than I typically would (usually would remove excess after 3-4 hours, now I just leave it in the tank until it needs to get refilled)

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back