• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Metal found in sand during rinse using magnet

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Radu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was rinsing my Caribsea sand and noticed a large black flake in it.

Upon inspection I discovered that it was a coin sized piece of rusted metal, and after running a magnet through the rest of the sand I found many more particles.

To test for holes that could have allowed this metal to contaminate from an outside source I filled the bag the sand came in with water and found no holes.

I wanted to make others aware of this in case any of you have unknown metal in your sand bed right now.

metal_found_in_caribsea.jpg

live_sand_bag_not_ripped.JPG

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not good!!!!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was rinsing my Caribsea sand and noticed a large black flake in it.

Upon inspection I discovered that it was a coin sized piece of rusted metal, and after running a magnet through the rest of the sand I found many more particles.

To test for holes that could have allowed this metal to contaminate from an outside source I filled the bag the sand came in with water and found no holes.

I wanted to make others aware of this in case any of you have unknown metal in your sand bed right now.

metal_found_in_caribsea.jpg

live_sand_bag_not_ripped.JPG
Now this would be the point I would put the sand to the bin or send it back and buy from an another source.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% have had this problem too! The only reason I noticed was parts of metal stuck to my flipper magnet and destroyed the front pain of my tank with scratches. I was and still am gutted about it and have completely fallen out of love with my tank because of it. Mine was Fiji pink sand.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% have had this problem too! The only reason I noticed was parts of metal stuck to my flipper magnet and destroyed the front pain of my tank with scratches. I was and still am gutted about it and have completely fallen out of love with my tank because of it. Mine was Fiji pink sand.
IMO, Caribsea should buy you a new tank. This would be so disheartening!!

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, Caribsea should buy you a new tank. This would be so disheartening!!
Honestly it’s just horrible. Huge scratches too and very obvious to the eye. The parts of metal were almost jet black and even with close inspection of the magnet I couldn’t see them until I took it out of the water and rubbed my hand over the felt pad and there they were. Chunks of rusty metal. My tank has been a disaster because of this sand and I’m still finding bits over a year later. I really should tear every grain out and replace it…I have the fear of it happening again though. At least I know why every coral that has ever been in there has sulked until slowly dying.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it’s just horrible. Huge scratches too and very obvious to the eye. The parts of metal were almost jet black and even with close inspection of the magnet I couldn’t see them until I took it out of the water and rubbed my hand over the felt pad and there they were. Chunks of rusty metal. My tank has been a disaster because of this sand and I’m still finding bits over a year later. I really should tear every grain out and replace it…I have the fear of it happening again though. At least I know why every coral that has ever been in there has sulked until slowly dying.
That is truly awful, especially if it affected the livestock!!!! :-( Did you contact the company? The company definitely needs to address this because obviously it's not an isolated case. Hopefully they provide answers about this problem. I nearly bought some of their freshwater sand. I'm not sure if the same problem is in that type of sand but after reading this I'm glad I didn't. I went with pool filter sand for that tank.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found this being a problem in caribsea sand too, i used fijipink recently and didnt have the issue with it though, super weird, could be terrible quality control issues

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever been to the Caribbean off the beaten path? It’s a wonder a flip flop or plastic bottle doesn’t show up occasionally. Sad but true.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever been to the Caribbean off the beaten path? It’s a wonder a flip flop or plastic bottle doesn’t show up occasionally. Sad but true.
Actually it's quite tragic which means we most certainly don't want any of that in the sand we buy. Yuck! It's also sad to think that at some point in the not too distant future our tanks will be the only thing left of a healthy aquatic ecosystem!!! :-(

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t contact them as it was months before I fully realised what had happened. They need to sort this out and quick. I wonder how many people have left this hobby due to failure because of this sands quality issues. I’ve certainly considered it. Thankfully I have other tanks. Yet another huge pro for bare bottom…
I really want to promote this issue to try and stop it from happening again. Not to hurt the company at all though. I’ll send them a message.

Last edited:
Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back