Metal Halide lights

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how much aquarium you are lighting. I see used stuff all the time at good prices. Geismann would be the top end as far as new stuff. Hamilton is pretty reasonable also. I got my used Hamilton fixture with 2 250W bulbs and 4 T-5s for $50 off the equipment forum here. Shipping it was a whole other story.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find someone sick of hanging onto their old halide gear, they’ll practically give it away. If you order a brand new giesemann spectra from Germany expect to pay thousands depending on size

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot will depend if you’re willing to ship too. I know I’m in the market for halide gear but most people don’t ship due to the expense

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are from 2008
As long as they’re clean and not oxidized the reflector should still be good I would think. The bulbs should be fine as well. Only issue may be the ballasts (possibly?)

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got no hits on my fixture so I just donated it. Ballast are cheap usually 50bucks and lower when people are dumping them.

Bladezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH use a ton of electricity, run super hot and you have to replace the bulbs frequently not to mention the ballast burn out too. If u have these over a tank you almost have to have a chiller to keep the water temp in check. I still have nightmares from using them.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
MH use a ton of electricity, run super hot and you have to replace the bulbs frequently not to mention the ballast burn out too. If u have these over a tank you almost have to have a chiller to keep the water temp in check. I still have nightmares from using them.
This isn’t always the case and for those that run a bunch of radions over their tanks, I’m guessing they’re using the same, if not more electricity than halides.

Bladezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t always the case and for those that run a bunch of radions over their tanks, I’m guessing they’re using the same, if not more electricity than halides.
Good point.

The xr30 G5s use 410 watts at 100% output.

Google says a 250w MH uses 295 watts.
1660946095908.png

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good point.

The xr30 G5s use 410 watts at 100% output.

Google says a 250w MH uses 295 watts.
1660946095908.png
It usually takes two LED fixtures to cover the same area as one metal halide fixture, but this depends on the fixtures for both. I'm also referring to an acropora dominant tank, mixed or softy tanks are different. You can also get away with running halides for 4 to 6hrs with supplemental lighting (T5's or LED bars, etc) and still use less energy as an all LED system. My Reef Brite pendants run pretty cool considering and using small fans, there is no need to use a chiller. I would guess that most LED fixtures have a true lifespan of 5 or 7 years depending on how many hours they run a day (diodes diminish with time/heat), so you'll need to replace them accordingly. I can easily get 12+ months out of a single bulb and depending on what bulbs you're using, that's around $100 for two bulbs every 14 months or so. So for two RB pendants and bulbs for 5 years, I'm only spending $1300 or so. How much does a single XR30 gen6 cost? $950ea for two fixtures and I would still need some LED bars. 2k or more? This whole idea of LED's being cheaper to run energy-wise, well, it's kind of a myth at this point. Don't get me wrong, I love LED's and use them, but people need to do some real math when considering all lighting systems.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

A watt is a watt and we have already learned PAR per watt barely favors LEDs at this point. LEDs can't compare in spread or specturm to a halide. I have never used a chiller on any of my halide tanks. Going on 17 years and so many tanks I don't even have count. Some will require a chiller though. Depends where you live. Replacing bulbs every 14-18 months is super easy. Ballasts last 5 years minimum IME.

Bladezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It usually takes two LED fixtures to cover the same area as one metal halide fixture, but this depends on the fixtures for both. I'm also referring to an acropora dominant tank, mixed or softy tanks are different. You can also get away with running halides for 4 to 6hrs with supplemental lighting (T5's or LED bars, etc) and still use less energy as an all LED system. My Reef Brite pendants run pretty cool considering and using small fans, there is no need to use a chiller. I would guess that most LED fixtures have a true lifespan of 5 or 7 years depending on how many hours they run a day (diodes diminish with time/heat), so you'll need to replace them accordingly. I can easily get 12+ months out of a single bulb and depending on what bulbs you're using, that's around $100 for two bulbs every 14 months or so. So for two RB pendants and bulbs for 5 years, I'm only spending $1300 or so. How much does a single XR30 gen6 cost? $950ea for two fixtures and I would still need some LED bars. 2k or more? This whole idea of LED's being cheaper to run energy-wise, well, it's kind of a myth at this point. Don't get me wrong, I love LED's and use them, but people need to do some real math when considering all lighting systems.
When I built my own LED lights they dramatically reduced my electric usage and the heat introduced into my system and my corals loved the light. That was like 10 years ago and now I don't have the time or the desire to build again so I'm paying a lot to get a neat package with features like apps and remote controls. Certainly NOT cheaper to run though.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I built my own LED lights they dramatically reduced my electric usage and the heat introduced into my system and my corals loved the light. That was like 10 years ago and now I don't have the time or the desire to build again so I'm paying a lot to get a neat package with features like apps and remote controls. Certainly NOT cheaper to run though.
Today we have so many options for lighting our tanks, that there’s no one way or right way to do it. We can mix and match new and old technologies and have an awesome looking tank and grow healthy animals. I think designing your own LEDs would be fun, but having the time to do so is another story. I honestly think it’s going to be a hobbyist who comes up with something new in the world of lighting and not a manufacturer.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back