Metal Halide vs. LED Rates of Photosynthesis

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read, it isn't necessarily rapid, and research continues. Blue light is much more energetic than the rest of the visual spectrum, which is why they're researching that part of the spectrum.
My eyes have been getting broiled with blue light for 35 years, so it's had plenty of time to do its damage. If I go blind I'll still say it was all worth it!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eyes have been getting broiled with blue light for 35 years, so it's had plenty of time to do its damage. If I go blind I'll still say it was all worth it!

The risk of reef tank lighting causing long term degeneration is probably a bit over stated. Any permanent eye degeneration the average hobbyist may experience in life, I would sooner attribute to sunlight exposure

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The risk of reef tank lighting causing long term degeneration is probably a bit over stated. Any permanent eye degeneration the average hobbyist may experience in life, I would sooner attribute to sunlight exposure
Yeah, I'm not really worried, although I do think about it when I see the warnings on the O3 bulb packaging.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WebMD: "Almost all blue light passes straight through to the back of your retina. Some research has shown blue light may increase the risk of macular degeneration, a disease of the retina. Research shows blue light exposure may lead to age-related macular degeneration, or AMD."

Odd how that sounds like a parallel to how blue light penetrates deep into the ocean.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WebMD: "Almost all blue light passes straight through to the back of your retina. Some research has shown blue light may increase the risk of macular degeneration, a disease of the retina. Research shows blue light exposure may lead to age-related macular degeneration, or AMD."

Odd how that sounds like a parallel to how blue light penetrates deep into the ocean.

Orange glasses for you then it sounds like, eh?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange glasses for you then it sounds like, eh?
LOL, I've used yellow shooting glasses, and even tried my orange ski goggles. My glasses don't fit in them very well, though.

They say that rose colored glasses are also good. You have to be a real optimist to wear them. Thank you. I'll be here all week!

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of back and forth in this thread, and I don't want to delve too deeply into the fray but will offer some of my own experiences with a variety of lighting options.

Over the past 25 years that I have been reefing, I have used a variety of lighting methods and found success with them all. In short, I have found no discernable difference in growth and or coloration of corals between MH, T5 and LED. The differences strictly come down to cost, tank location/setup, and personal preferences.

Well, simple answer is that my current system of LED's have produced similar growth and coloration when compared to the T5's that I have used in the past.(RADION G5)

SPS have done well and colored up nicely but there are a few quirks I would like to point out in comparison to my experiences with T5 and even Metal Halide:

• While the spread is fairly even, there are still some hot spots. While they do not affect SPS too much they do bother Zoas. In some cases, the Zoas would lighten up and shrivel until moved to a shadier spot.
  • Adding the diffusers made a HUGE difference. Ecotech should have included them as standard equipment. I personally would not run the Radion G5's without a diffuser. Once added, I had more even growth and less disparities with my LPS/ZOAs.
  • LED's were the best choice for my specific situation. If I didn't already have a couple G5's I would have gone with an 8x80W T5 fixture. In-wall, I would have run Metal Halide in Lumenarc III reflectors. I have found nothing that can reproduce the look of MH. LED and T5 are flat in comparison.
  • Another thing to note is that there are too many variables when it comes to LED. There are templates built into the units but with the amount of options at your fingertips I believe it causes more issues than it solves.
  • One of the biggest issues I have experienced and heard from fellow reefers is how to correctly set the intensity. Even after using a PAR meter you still have discrepancies and issues. Plus, reefers as a whole tend to tinker too much and these large deviations from the standard and proven templates such as AB+ create many a headache. If you stick to the templates and stray too far, you will find success with the lights. That of course is provided that you have correctly set the intensity.
  • The beauty of T5 is that the guesswork has been taken out and you are getting the best results out of the box. The spectrum and intensity is factory set and done so with the purpose of growing and coloring up corals.
Again, it depends on the end user. If you like to tinker and have complete control and crazy lighting schedules then by all means jump into LED. Quite a few in this hobby are deep into the tech and in many cases more thought goes into those variables than the actual inhabitants, aquascape and overall tank. People spend many thousands of dollars on the fancy tech yet start a new setup with dry rock. It boggles the mind. But, this is my opinion. I am old school and do not even run a controller. I spot check PH and temperature daily and will test alkalinity once a week. Provided that everything is in line I leave the system alone. I do not tinker or deviate from the plan.

If I was starting this setup fresh I would have gone with 100% T5 and saved myself a good bit of money. Who knows, in time I may end up going that route but for now I am happy with the Radions. Besides, I wouldn't put too much stock into the lighting itself. Flow and good live rock will always take precedence, at least in this humble reefers opinion.

TL;DR All lights will grow corals. I have found no difference between the MH, T5 and LED's.

Examples of my setups under varying light sources

Metal Halide
1651691222929.png

1651691251162.png

1651691259644.png

T5
1651691284138.png

1651691298223.png

LED
1651691319020.png

These last picture are on a one week old setup that was upgraded from the small reef shown above. Running Radion G5's. The corals lost quite a bit of color in the move, so perhaps its not the best example, but in a few weeks time they will look right again.

1651691407242.png

1651691452526.png

1651691466091.png

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of back and forth in this thread, and I don't want to delve too deeply into the fray but will offer some of my own experiences with a variety of lighting options.

Over the past 25 years that I have been reefing, I have used a variety of lighting methods and found success with them all. In short, I have found no discernable difference in growth and or coloration of corals between MH, T5 and LED. The differences strictly come down to cost, tank location/setup, and personal preferences.

Well, simple answer is that my current system of LED's have produced similar growth and coloration when compared to the T5's that I have used in the past.(RADION G5)

SPS have done well and colored up nicely but there are a few quirks I would like to point out in comparison to my experiences with T5 and even Metal Halide:

• While the spread is fairly even, there are still some hot spots. While they do not affect SPS too much they do bother Zoas. In some cases, the Zoas would lighten up and shrivel until moved to a shadier spot.
  • Adding the diffusers made a HUGE difference. Ecotech should have included them as standard equipment. I personally would not run the Radion G5's without a diffuser. Once added, I had more even growth and less disparities with my LPS/ZOAs.
  • LED's were the best choice for my specific situation. If I didn't already have a couple G5's I would have gone with an 8x80W T5 fixture. In-wall, I would have run Metal Halide in Lumenarc III reflectors. I have found nothing that can reproduce the look of MH. LED and T5 are flat in comparison.
  • Another thing to note is that there are too many variables when it comes to LED. There are templates built into the units but with the amount of options at your fingertips I believe it causes more issues than it solves.
  • One of the biggest issues I have experienced and heard from fellow reefers is how to correctly set the intensity. Even after using a PAR meter you still have discrepancies and issues. Plus, reefers as a whole tend to tinker too much and these large deviations from the standard and proven templates such as AB+ create many a headache. If you stick to the templates and stray too far, you will find success with the lights. That of course is provided that you have correctly set the intensity.
  • The beauty of T5 is that the guesswork has been taken out and you are getting the best results out of the box. The spectrum and intensity is factory set and done so with the purpose of growing and coloring up corals.
Again, it depends on the end user. If you like to tinker and have complete control and crazy lighting schedules then by all means jump into LED. Quite a few in this hobby are deep into the tech and in many cases more thought goes into those variables than the actual inhabitants, aquascape and overall tank. People spend many thousands of dollars on the fancy tech yet start a new setup with dry rock. It boggles the mind. But, this is my opinion. I am old school and do not even run a controller. I spot check PH and temperature daily and will test alkalinity once a week. Provided that everything is in line I leave the system alone. I do not tinker or deviate from the plan.

If I was starting this setup fresh I would have gone with 100% T5 and saved myself a good bit of money. Who knows, in time I may end up going that route but for now I am happy with the Radions. Besides, I wouldn't put too much stock into the lighting itself. Flow and good live rock will always take precedence, at least in this humble reefers opinion.

TL;DR All lights will grow corals. I have found no difference between the MH, T5 and LED's.

Metal Halide
1651691222929.png

1651691251162.png

1651691259644.png

T5
1651691284138.png

1651691298223.png

LED
1651691319020.png

These last picture are on a one week old setup that was upgraded from the small reef shown above. Running Radion G5's. The corals lost quite a bit of color in the move, so perhaps its not the best example, but in a few weeks time they will look right again.

1651691407242.png

1651691452526.png

1651691466091.png
One of the greats from the past! Glad to see you’re still around!

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Metal Halide
1651691222929.png

1651691251162.png

1651691259644.png

T5
1651691284138.png

1651691298223.png

LED
1651691319020.png

1651691407242.png

1651691452526.png

1651691466091.png
I’ll echo the dry rock sentiment. It’s been a nightmare.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just acquired an additional five Gen3 Pros, giving me 12 total, enough for two very large tanks I'll be setting up this summer. They're doing a great job growing SPS, LPS and softies in a temporary 110G. I'm looking forward to the POP on a massive scale.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow and good live rock will always take precedence, at least in this humble reefers opinion.

Finally someone with clout says it on here. I say this all the time and everyone ignores it or shrugs and says “eh, maybe”. Quality live rock makes the absolute biggest impact on coral health. Period. Flow is second

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally someone with clout says it on here. I say this all the time and everyone ignores it or shrugs and says “eh, maybe”. Quality live rock makes the absolute biggest impact on coral health. Period. Flow is second
So it's a rock thread now? Lol

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's funny is it is always the ones that you can tell have absolutely no experience or very little experience that seem to know everything.

"Hey, I am a Doctor"
"Where do you practice"
"I dont, but I have read a lot of books, so....just trust me"

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's funny is it is always the ones that you can tell have absolutely no experience or very little experience that seem to know everything.

"Hey, I am a Doctor"
"Where do you practice"
"I dont, but I have read a lot of books, so....just trust me"
So odd when people equate number of posts with level of experience.

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So odd when people equate number of posts with level of experience.

I wasn't referring to the number of posts. Just the posts themselves.

The reaction score to the number of post says something though....

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reaction score to the number of post says something though....

Popularity? Cool kids club? Heavy post count via lounge threads...

This isn't related to you but I am more of a show me your display and length of time sort of person now. Too much bias in this hobby as you can see in this very thread...

Hope you are doing well!

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popularity? Cool kids club? Heavy post count via lounge threads...

This isn't related to you but I am more of a show me your display and length of time sort of person now. Too much bias in this hobby as you can see in this very thread...

Hope you are doing well!

Nothing to do with popularity. It's just the Troll type of posting from so many that is obvious. Again, you can usually get that from the message count to reaction score.

And I agree. Those with proof of successful experience are the ones I listen to. Just chatter from the rest.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back