Metal Halide vs. LED Rates of Photosynthesis

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to do with popularity. It's just the Troll type of posting from so many that is obvious. Again, you can usually get that from the message count to reaction score.

Actually great point!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popularity? Cool kids club? Heavy post count via lounge threads...

This isn't related to you but I am more of a show me your display and length of time sort of person now. Too much bias in this hobby as you can see in this very thread...

Hope you are doing well!
I know your post wasn’t a dig at him, so this isn’t a refute, but just saying @JCOLE is one of those people who you can look at their tank and at least know he’s not full of hot air. Great looking tank.

But I agree. If someone can’t produce some degree of proof that they have pulled off a good degree of success in growing coral, I can’t help but not take their posts seriously. If that means people are bored or uninspired with my own work, so be it. I do try to stay within my success levels in experience when giving advice. That being said. I’ve had a bear of a time getting my new tank to pick up where my last one left off. It’s been quite frustrating! Maybe I should pick up that cebu sun that is available locally. I kid I kid.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know your post wasn’t a dig at him, so this isn’t a refute, but just saying @JCOLE is one of those people who you can look at their tank and at least know he’s not full of hot air. Great looking tank.

But I agree. If someone can’t produce some degree of proof that they have pulled off a good degree of success in growing coral, I can’t help but not take their posts seriously. If that means people are bored or uninspired with my own work, so be it. I do try to stay within my success levels in experience when giving advice. That being said. I’ve had a bear of a time getting my new tank to pick up where my last one left off. It’s been quite frustrating! Maybe I should pick up that cebu sun that is available locally. I kid I kid.

Oh - no, no dig at him at all. Please accept my apologies if it seemed like that.

@JCOLE apologies to you. That was me just speaking out loud. Sorry.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - no, no dig at him at all. Please accept my apologies if it seemed like that.

It didn’t seem that way to me, I just feared the nature of my response would feel like an accusation lol

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks man! Likewise! Your last tank was an inspiration and one anyone should strive to have.

I agree! You know those halides are calling you back to the dark side! :D

Last edited:

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No apologies needed. We are good. I knew what you meant. My replies were not directed towards you either.

That was just me speaking out loud as well. :)

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are arguing that mh are not superior in shimmer? Only led that's come close to matching shimmer it the kessil and it would take multiple of them over the same display that a single mh with reflector will to produce the same shimmer.
No. MH is the king of shimmer IMO! It's just that we really don't need any "data" to approve it. So obvious!
As for growth I posted multiple videos from multiple farmers explaining why they use mh for growth. Google works, youtube search works. I know you have seen those vids I posted already so posting them again is a waste of my time and energy.
Yes, they use MH for growth!
I just added pigment formation from MHs as well. Very important.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. This whole thing with LEDs has become more of an arcade experience than recreating an accurate depiction of a coral reef.

Crit, grab the laser tag guns!
I have never seen a single hobbyist reef that is an "accurate depiction of a coral reef", tbh. Reefing is a hobby and everyone does it differently. I am not a fan of the windex look but many are. I only take issue when people suggest that white lite is actively harmful (yes I see this on facebook often).

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only take issue when people suggest that white lite is actively harmful (yes I see this on facebook often).

I believe that a lot of these people saying 'white light is harmful' are not fully aware of just how much blue light white LEDs give off (especially the 'Cool Whites' that are so often used in arrays). And since they have a blue channel that is normally cranked up, they are potentially flooding the aquarium with high amounts of PUR (photoinhibition and all it's associated issues for the coral is then a real possibility), even though they may be reading typical reef keeping PAR levels. IMO, for most reef aquarists these days using typical LED arrays it is safer to incrementally decrease the blue channel as the white channel is increased.

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some light reading.

I really don't like the Windex look myself, and have used the "build the blue as a foundation" approach since the early 80's, adding the remainder of the spectra for appearance purposes - including point-source glitter lines.

I believe the DIscussion portion of the attached paper is applicable here.
"The spectral quality of light is a key driver of photosynthesis and photoadaptation in Stylophora pistillata colonies from different depths in the Red Sea"

Also, this one may be of interest:
Red Light Represses the Photophysiology of the Scleractinian Coral Stylophora pistillata

And this one:
Effects of LED Light Illumination on the Growth, Digestive Enzymes, and Photoacclimation of Goniopora columna in Captivity

Hope these research papers add constructively to the discussion.

Cheers,
Ray :cool:

Attachments

• The spectral quality of light is a key driver of photosynthesis and photoadaptation.pdf
    417.7 KB · Views: 26

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally anecdotal, but I have always found that white light spurs growth in my corals. Blues make them look nice and colour up, but white really helps with growth.

I know some people grow under strictly blues, and I do tend to favour the blue look over a whiter look, but I always end up adding plenty of white to get the growth that I desire.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen a single hobbyist reef that is an "accurate depiction of a coral reef", tbh. Reefing is a hobby and everyone does it differently. I am not a fan of the windex look but many are. I only take issue when people suggest that white lite is actively harmful (yes I see this on facebook often).
No reef aquarium is going to be 100% accurate, but there are certainly those that look more accurate than others.

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how you describe accurate. Lighting? Depth? Corals? Fish?
Hmm - I like the "enjoyable" part of accuracy perhaps...could we add that one to the list?
I like the fact that I don't have to restock my dwarf blue-leg hermits, money cowries, astrea snails, peppermint shrimp, and others - they quite happily reproduce on their own in aquarium. I haven't had a detectable spawning of coral, unless a pocillopora spp. growing spontaneously in a couple locations on the corner overflows counts. If I was shooting for "accuracy" I'd probably end up focusing on a mono-specific aquarium, as most of the coral I have in this reef could/would have a rather large footprint in the wild, and would easily occupy the 3X6 footprint of the 300.

Cheers,

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm - I like the "enjoyable" part of accuracy perhaps...could we add that one to the list?
I like the fact that I don't have to restock my dwarf blue-leg hermits, money cowries, astrea snails, peppermint shrimp, and others - they quite happily reproduce on their own in aquarium. I haven't had a detectable spawning of coral, unless a pocillopora spp. growing spontaneously in a couple locations on the corner overflows counts. If I was shooting for "accuracy" I'd probably end up focusing on a mono-specific aquarium, as most of the coral I have in this reef could/would have a rather large footprint in the wild, and would easily occupy the 3X6 footprint of the 300.

Cheers,
My wrasse, unfortunately, keeps tiny mollusks and crustaceans in check.
In a perfect world, "accurate" to me would be to have a HUGE tank to hold an actual simulated Red Sea reef--corals, shoaling fish and all.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse, unfortunately, keeps tiny mollusks and crustaceans in check.
In a perfect world, "accurate" to me would be to have a HUGE tank to hold an actual simulated Red Sea reef--corals, shoaling fish and all.
Yes, sometimes I imagine what it’d be like to turn the Georgia Aquariums large display into a coral reef with varying depths, microbiomes of coral, massive wave machines, probly natural sunlight, etc…

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Did they say which source is the culprit?
No, just something I picked up from being in reefing groups. Those are really a mess LOL even more than any other forum. Lots of the blind leading the blind. It's almost entirely newbies and most of the "experts" are really still newbies themselves.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Steve Weast’s tank is pretty close to natural. But again, it’s subjective.
No reef aquarium is going to be 100% accurate, but there are certainly those that look more accurate than others.
I think we might disagree what accurate means here. Obviously our tanks are not real reefs nor do we really shoot for a real reef. All the dead coral in between the live ones, the predators, the sandstorms and plankton blooms, the sand littered with frags from previous hurricanes, etc. are things we avoid in our tanks. Steve Weast was just on reef therapy where he described his aquariums as "an artistic depiction of nature" and that is also what I seek. There is a difference between an artistic depiction of nature (not "accurate" really) and trying to actually replicate nature.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back