Metal Halides are the bomb

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEVER like the blues...never will...10k AB 250w DE as a stand alone was one of my favorites. .Iwasaki 65k 150 w SE with the correct ballast was nice also...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to try them when I have the right set up to do so :) My current apartments cooling would never handle the heat though.

I started the hobby with led then went led and T5 hybrid and now I am T5 with just a led bar for dawn and dusk.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have to say that im am totally blown away by this MH setup! Being newer to the hobby i really haven't been exposed to them very much. In the past year i went from a Radion to a Radion with Reefbrite strips to a 6 bulb Sunpower and now the Infiniti. Its been a long road with my new tank but i think i just found the secret! My tank looks like its lit by the sun and my corals are already starting to appreciate it! I picked up a few frags from the lfs this weekend and they were under Radions, they look pretty bad under the MH but i just know in a month they are going to look awesome. I can just tell by how my other coral has responded. This is soo exciting for me, im soo happy i switched!
What was wrong with the ATI? Don't get me wrong, I love Giesemann stuff, wish I still had mine.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What was wrong with the ATI? Don't get me wrong, I love Giesemann stuff, wish I still had mine.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the ATI! I love it. But once i saw how the tank responded i just had a feeling MH would be even cooler. Then i found a fixture for a great deal! Not going to lie, i was nervous about the whole thing. But now that i have it running all i have to do is sort out a gfci issue and im golden!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely nothing wrong with the ATI! I love it. But once i saw how the tank responded i just had a feeling MH would be even cooler. Then i found a fixture for a great deal! Not going to lie, i was nervous about the whole thing. But now that i have it running all i have to do is sort out a gfci issue and im golden!
I had some GFCI issues in the past, but they weren't light related at all, that's why I didn't post anything about it. I have a surge protector for my whole system now, including halides, and not a dedicated GFCI anymore. We have a lot of power outage where the tank is, but never had problems with either my ATI fixtures and halides in the house. Hope you find the solution for your problem.
Same here... I had ATI T5 only for more than a decade ove the tank I have halides now. Absolutely nothing wrong, but the halides are a step further in coral keeping. That's for sure. Plus, I still have 4 T5 bulbs with the 2 halides.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Soo i stumbled upon the Hamilton electronic ballast and noticed the 400w version has a 200/300/400/440w selectable switch. I wonder if us guys who want to run HQI bulbs, like the Radium and Phoenix, would benefit from the 300w output of this ballast. Hamilton’s site says to use this ballast with any 400w bulb but i would think you could use it with 250w HQI, right?

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 2 250w halides be over kill on a 4’ tank 18” high ? I got one right now

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 2 250w halides be over kill on a 4’ tank 18” high ? I got one right now
Many would say yes.
I have 2 X 250W 14K and 4 X 54W T5s over my 75gal zoa tank and they were well adapted to the lights. I like the punch for the zoas on the sand. A 175W halide system would also work, no problem.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many would say yes.
I have 2 X 250W 14K and 4 X 54W T5s over my 75gal zoa tank and they were well adapted to the lights. I like the punch for the zoas on the sand. A 175W halide system would also work, no problem.
I want halides over my tank I live the look and want to keep sps dominated tank . I just want to buy another one and it be a waist but also think 2 a360x on the sides of it but don’t really want to run led

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want halides over my tank I live the look and want to keep sps dominated tank . I just want to buy another one and it be a waist but also think 2 a360x on the sides of it but don’t really want to run led
Get a Hamilton Cebu fixture with MH/T5s. Or try to find a Giesemann Spectra. You still can special order them from Germany. Cebu will be cheaper, I would think. I use and recommend MH/T5. Best combo of artificial light in existence to me.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Hamilton Cebu fixture with MH/T5s. Or try to find a Giesemann Spectra. You still can special order them from Germany. Cebu will be cheaper, I would think. I use and recommend MH/T5. Best combo of artificial light in existence to me.
I have a reefbrite 15” hybrid already would like to stay the same I really love the light

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefbrite 15” hybrid already would like to stay the same I really love the light
I'm sorry I miss understand your second post (#471).
So the question is only if the 250W halides over the 4', 18" tall tank would be over kill? The answer is: not over kill, if you properly acclimate the corals and photoperiod is right.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I miss understand your second post (#471).
So the question is only if the 250W halides over the 4', 18" tall tank would be over kill? The answer is: not over kill, if you properly acclimate the corals and photoperiod is right.
Thanks for the reply just wanted to befor I order another one

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply just wanted to befor I order another one
Yes, if you already have the ReefBrite pendant and love it, just get another for the other side of the tank.

Last edited:

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 150watt iwasaki (50K)/65k bulb on an eye ballast -was the closest thing to sunlight I ever saw...

Back