Metal Halides are the bomb

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a new metal halide user and it’s only been 2 weeks with them . But man these things rock . Every coral in the aquarium is likening these new lights. Mostly SPS.
A few weeks ago I was useing a BB/t5 combo. It was ok . The T5s were carrying all the weight IMO. And lately a acropora was receding at the base . the water parameters were good . I found the BB was turned down to 50-60% so I turned it up to 100% things tank wide improved a little. Then I lowered the BB and all 3 t5s things improved a tiny bit . Then I was literally hanging a 4th T5 on the front glass ( blue plus ) then things got good. The recession of that acropora stopped.
then I did a tank upgrade 37-90gallons and it went very well. Didn’t lose or stress anything . Cool!!
Then I hooked up the halides 4 hours a day to start . And from the first day with halides the corals have all responded very well. I cool the aquarium with fans . And it’s been 7-9 days at 4 hours a day and growth is becoming obvious . Like my spongodes monti is growing 1/16-1/8” every day. Pink birdsnest is covered in new growth tips . Everything! also the light is so strong (250watt DE) they can heat up your fries LOL . Happy camper here .

OP
OP
Backreefing

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics or it didn't happen. ;)
1/24/2020 then yesterday

95C401E7-A6E9-4805-900C-945DCFCA90B4.jpeg FBB7ECCB-070B-4212-B94B-1C16840C2AE9.jpeg

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed that are, kicks the butt of leds in my opinion. I’ve never had such good growth as when I was running 2x250w halides supplemented with a couple of T5’s back in the day.
Unfortunately the heat generation is just to much for my current setup.

Did you keep your T5s over the tank? If not it's a match made in heaven :)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 250 watt DE Halides in 2 cayman fixtures with new 14000k usio bulbs , and 2 t5s with blue plus bulbs . I would have put moret5 lights but it’s all I can fit over the aquarium.
Underachiever. I think you can fit more. Amazing difference

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't you hear? All light sources grow coral "just fine." It is fun to see what happens when you are better than "just fine" though, right?

You can probably turn the T5s off when the Halides are running and save them for dusk/dawn. I do this to save electricity, if I run them at all.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The really great thing about halides is that you only need them for 5-7 hours a day to get great growth even from 'demanding' acros. The rest of the time you can use supplemental lighting to still stimulate the pigments that tend to develop more under blue T5/LED light.

reeffreak911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a new metal halide user and it’s only been 2 weeks with them . But man these things rock . Every coral in the aquarium is likening these new lights. Mostly SPS.
A few weeks ago I was useing a BB/t5 combo. It was ok . The T5s were carrying all the weight IMO. And lately a acropora was receding at the base . the water parameters were good . I found the BB was turned down to 50-60% so I turned it up to 100% things tank wide improved a little. Then I lowered the BB and all 3 t5s things improved a tiny bit . Then I was literally hanging a 4th T5 on the front glass ( blue plus ) then things got good. The recession of that acropora stopped.
then I did a tank upgrade 37-90gallons and it went very well. Didn’t lose or stress anything . Cool!!
Then I hooked up the halides 4 hours a day to start . And from the first day with halides the corals have all responded very well. I cool the aquarium with fans . And it’s been 7-9 days at 4 hours a day and growth is becoming obvious . Like my spongodes monti is growing 1/16-1/8” every day. Pink birdsnest is covered in new growth tips . Everything! also the light is so strong (250watt DE) they can heat up your fries LOL . Happy camper here .
I've always used halides tried leds but they sucked for me went back to halides people wonder how I get my torches so long and stringy all I can say is halides and colors definitely change under halides

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been 2.5 months now since I switched to 20,000k bulbs from 14,000k bulbs. Growth has actually improved a bit. Par has dropped about 20-30% putting me in the 200-500 range all around the tank now. I think I had a little photo inhibition going on before, as I had some pieces sitting in as much as 800 par for 7 hours a day. So I’m not surprised growth took off when the par dropped a bit which is nice.

The downside though is I’ve lost most of my vibrant colors. Acros that showed 3-4 colors are now monochromal. Some had deep blue/purple tips and have now faded to green. My WD is now basically solid green. Shame. Yeah...green fluorescence is more vibrant. But I’ve lost all blues, pinks, purples, and yellows. Even my kung pao montipora which was ripe banana yellow before is morphing green. I don’t want to constantly swap bulbs every couple months as that will cause more stress than I want...but it is clear I favor lower kelvin

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been 2.5 months now since I switched to 20,000k bulbs from 14,000k bulbs. Growth has actually improved a bit. Par has dropped about 20-30% putting me in the 200-500 range all around the tank now. I think I had a little photo inhibition going on before, as I had some pieces sitting in as much as 800 par for 7 hours a day. So I’m not surprised growth took off when the par dropped a bit which is nice.

The downside though is I’ve lost most of my vibrant colors. Acros that showed 3-4 colors are now monochromal. Some had deep blue/purple tips and have now faded to green. My WD is now basically solid green. Shame. Yeah...green fluorescence is more vibrant. But I’ve lost all blues, pinks, purples, and yellows. Even my kung pao montipora which was ripe banana yellow before is morphing green. I don’t want to constantly swap bulbs every couple months as that will cause more stress than I want...but it is clear I favor lower kelvin
That's some great feedback, thanks for sharing. I'm constantly thinking about trying new bulbs or switching to maybe a 20k bulb but never do, and no reason to I guess.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some great feedback, thanks for sharing. I'm constantly thinking about trying new bulbs or switching to maybe a 20k bulb but never do, and no reason to I guess.
I think some people just really like the blue ambience more and think that a whiter cast off the sand and surrounding walls is unappealing. But literally every coral in the tank looked better under 14k with no supplements than they do under 20k with blue led supplements (leds to boost the par a bit)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back