Metal Halides Making a Come Back? Don’t call it a come back?

Are Metal Halides making a come back?

• Total voters

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I just don't want to rehash insanely silly arguments that twist minutia into being benefits of MH. Your rhetoric serves only to seed arguments, and I assume that is what you want. I don't. Enjoy your thread.
Are your corals healthier than back in the day though? How so? LOL!
This is going to last forever. LOL!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your post reference is from 5+ years ago and shows old pictures of his setup, and I have already linked to current pictures, and am aware he has halide. And for a recent update, this January Adam said

“I myself have one tank out of six with halides over, the rest are all LED in my main system.”

And just today:

“95% of my frag inventory is under LED”

What we buy, from his site is frags grown in his tanks under LED for up to 9 months

I don’t know why you jumped on my back, I started off complimenting the growth and color under halide, and shared a few pictures of corals I grew out under led.

I never said one tech grew corals better or worse. I mentioned heat which is valid, and you decided to blame me for defective glass.

I agreed with you many people use more watts than needed with halide and that I like the ability to dim my fixture and that I reduced my wattage.

For some reason you keep needing to retort and then this into a “halide is better” campaign. Good for you. Enjoy the lights. We all know they are successful. I ran them myself also.

I am stepping out of this thread, I have no interest in bickering any further and it was not my intent when I joined.
Oh no.. my intention is to just let you know that he actually loved Iwasakis. I'm aware that he doesn't care much about discussing the subject of lighting. I don't really care much for his late preference for light because he changes his opinions all the time and that shows how inconsistent he is to each technology. But I also think he likes a bit of each! In the end he likes all 3 technologies and the best quality in a coral farmer is to offer frags under the 3 different technologies. I think he is one of the best companies in the industry just because of that. I have absolutely no reason to condemn his position about lighting. His colonies are great and he is very professioanl. I careless about what others would think he defends or not, cause what I see from him is a passionate halide user, but also a guy who loves T5s and uses LEDs without any problems. An example of a professional in this industry! Not to mention that "enable no glitz" feature! Love it!!!!

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's interesting about that is it tells us a lot about quality of light and how the corals use it. I was a Reefer back then, starting a reef in 1994. There were no aminos, no coral food really, nothing like today. Oh I forgot a revolutionary piece of equipment I bought when it came out, "The Skilter" hang on back protein skimmer .

All jokes aside, no phosphates, no nitrates, etc, just MH lighting and husbandry. It is pretty substantial proof that corals can sustain themselves with quality light and fish waste. Fish waste being the key component back then I'm sure.

It's personal choice. As I posted earlier, I've had success with both and I think doing basic maintenance and water changes, leaving setting alone and letting corals adapt, are the quickest ways to success. I think people often add dosing, carbon dosing etc and it is just too much too fast.

Many also treat a GHA or Dino breakout like it's WW3 and the nukes start flying.
I can agree with this. I think we’re on similar wavelengths.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back