Metal Halides Making a Come Back? Don’t call it a come back?

Are Metal Halides making a come back?

• Total voters

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we also know every case is different depending where you live, right? I would have to run chillers here without any lights just to keep the tank running at 79°F summer time, so... We don't need a heater for the house.
You are defeating your own argument.

Have a nice evening... this is headed into silly land for no reason.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are defeating your own argument.

Have a nice evening... this is headed into silly land for no reason.
Just make sure you understand that heat isn't always a huge negative point to avoid halides altogether because of IR. People come here and see you guys talking about that "heat monster" and they learn this mantra to keep spreading rumors around as the best excuse they have to keep their LEDs and think bad about halides. Anyways... it's always about the same excuses and nothing substantial about the corals' health. All videos and pictures providing a better image of colony formation and amazing pigment production doesn't get attention and are ignored. Without anything else to add, those who try to diminish the results using metal halides stop posting and get out from the back door.
The most important thing is that while most LED uses want those excuses to feed their confirmation bias, the halide uses do care about the corals and also the aesthetics halide provide. Any time a LED user try to post how bad the halides were for them in terms of heat and how "expensive" the electricity bill was, there will be a halide user laughing at that. The values are different for both uses.
Have a nice evening.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A have 2 hqi's and 3 hydra64hds in a closed canopy(with fans) , 78*ambient temp in FL. Since running a dehumidifier the chiller might run a hour or 2 a day(keeping tank at 78*). It's there more for backup if central a/c fails. End of the day, my electric bill is about 250/ month for the entire house. If I were in California I might feel different about saving a couple hundred watts.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you understand that heat isn't always a huge negative point t
As I said you are starting to make silly points and juxtapositions. You do fine for a while with informative and interesting conversation but it devolves into the same silly rhetoric that you accuse the other side of.

It feels as if you need to fight with "led people" to further the feeling that people are out to get Halides when in reality the world has just moved on. Sure the original Solaris nutbags were haters... but that was 20 yeas ago.

Enjoy your Halides but stop trying to brow beat everyone into being LED haters.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All frags and colonies? Last I was on his website you could choose grown under t5,mh, or led. Has this changed?
It is. The option is there for special orders and he will accommodate if needed

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All frags and colonies? Last I was on his website you could choose grown under t5,mh, or led. Has this changed?

And in addition to my prior post

This should link to post 26

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is. The option is there for special orders and he will accommodate if needed

I didn't read all 40 pages, but it seems they are talking about the frags for a grow out contest. I know alot shows availability, in t5/mh grown, on the website. Some stuff shows unavailable though

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read all 40 pages, but it seems they are talking about the frags for a grow out contest. I know alot shows availability, in t5/mh grown, on the website. Some stuff shows unavailable though

That should be a direct link to a specific post. Where does it bring you ?

That link should bring you to post 100 in the grow out thread

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be a direct link to a specific post. Where does it bring you ?

That link should bring you to post 100 in the grow out thread
It does, but they are talking about the growout contest frags.. not all of the website.(I think). @Battlecorals please clarify.. are t5/mh grown under options still widely available through your website?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does, but they are talking about the growout contest frags.. not all of the website.(I think). @Battlecorals please clarify.. are t5/mh grown under options still widely available through your website?

I realize I might have taken a specific comment broadly, let’s get clarification. I do know the majority of tanks at battle corals are full led, and he only has halide on one out of six.

He might have some corals in one or the other or both, but he is a big believer in LED and has them on the majority of his tanks.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here’s my references

Battlecorals.com

All his frags and colonies are under led and arguably among the best in the industry
Well, I very much appreciate the sentiment. “Confused” as I may be, to be fair I do have lots of mothers under halides still. And they look great, and grow great. No complaints whatsoever. Well maybe the heat lol. But not in the winter…

Anyway. I don’t have nearly as many colonies or frags under T5 anymore, but 95% of my frag inventory are under LEDs. Many of them for up to nine months to a year easily before they go out.

This has been ping-ponged so many times now that I’m going to stay out of the… whatever this is this time. But I will add only that I think most LED users that are getting good results for a good while now whether they were old halide users or not, just don’t really have anything to prove or an axe to grind and are quite ambivalent, and ultimately aren’t really interested arguing about it.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said you are starting to make silly points and juxtapositions. You do fine for a while with informative and interesting conversation but it devolves into the same silly rhetoric that you accuse the other side of.

It feels as if you need to fight with "led people" to further the feeling that people are out to get Halides when in reality the world has just moved on. Sure the original Solaris nutbags were haters... but that was 20 yeas ago.

Enjoy your Halides but stop trying to brow beat everyone into being LED haters.
No man, all my points are valid. You need to understand that you don't dictate rules in any conversation and you don't simply ignore or exclude anything considerable. Also, stop you silly comparisons to political terms like "haters". That shows how much you want to discuss anything at all, or want to defend your "theories of life", or whatever.. LOL!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been ping-ponged so many times now that I’m going to stay out of the… whatever this is this time. But I will add only that I think most LED users that are getting good results for a good while now whether they were old halide users or not, just don’t really have anything to prove or an axe to grind and are quite ambivalent, and ultimately aren’t really interested arguing about it.
Pretty much that

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my references

Battlecorals.com

All his frags and colonies are under led and arguably among the best in the industry
Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 3.21.38 PM.png

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I very much appreciate the sentiment. “Confused” as I may be, to be fair I do have lots of mothers under halides still. And they look great, and grow great. No complaints whatsoever. Well maybe the heat lol. But not in the winter…

Anyway. I don’t have nearly as many colonies or frags under T5 anymore, but 95% of my frag inventory are under LEDs. Many of them for up to nine months to a year easily before they go out.

"Good results" are very subjective. I do think it's good to discuss the differences, so newbies would at least have access to info, images and experiences with halides, but also to respect choices. It is personal preferences, but also have some facts involved. Those facts are ignored.
LED users aren't interested arguing about? LOL! They are the first ones to come and defend their LEDs in all halide threads. That is the only way the discussions start. They see how happy halide users report their experiences and how amazing their systems look and start to argue against. And some are very aggressive. How do you think this all started? LOL! Check out if halide users go to LED threads... now check how many LED uses come to halide threads to start the discussions and arguments. Just read and you will see. All this discussion is because LED uses want to exercise their confirmation bias. Simple as that.
Then you think people who enjoy halides will stay put and agree with their posts and bias? Halide users either get out of here, or stay defending what they believe.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 3.21.38 PM.png

Your post reference is from 5+ years ago and shows old pictures of his setup, and I have already linked to current pictures, and am aware he has halide. And for a recent update, this January Adam said

“I myself have one tank out of six with halides over, the rest are all LED in my main system.”

And just today:

“95% of my frag inventory is under LED”

What we buy, from his site is frags grown in his tanks under LED for up to 9 months

I don’t know why you jumped on my back, I started off complimenting the growth and color under halide, and shared a few pictures of corals I grew out under led.

I never said one tech grew corals better or worse. I mentioned heat which is valid, and you decided to blame me for defective glass.

I agreed with you many people use more watts than needed with halide and that I like the ability to dim my fixture and that I reduced my wattage.

For some reason you keep needing to retort and then this into a “halide is better” campaign. Good for you. Enjoy the lights. We all know they are successful. I ran them myself also.

I am stepping out of this thread, I have no interest in bickering any further and it was not my intent when I joined.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No man, all my points are valid.
That shows how much you want to discuss anything at all, or want to defend your "theories of life", or whatever.. LOL!
No I just don't want to rehash insanely silly arguments that twist minutia into being benefits of MH. Your rhetoric serves only to seed arguments, and I assume that is what you want. I don't. Enjoy your thread.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back