Metal Halides Tripping GFCI

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2018
Messages
1,699
Reaction score
1,293
Location
Virginia
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I run 2 250w DE metal halide fixtures with 250w IceCap ballasts. Haven't had any problems until recently: one or both of the systems are tripping the GFCI they're plugged into; the gfci has to be reset every couple days in order to get the lights to run.

I'm not sure how old the ballasts are. I got them used maybe 4 years ago. I know they have a lifespan. Is this a symptom of a faulty ballast?

Does anyone know how to test a ballast to determine if it's working as it should?
 
Here's the current ballasts I use:
20241112_145405.jpg
 
Don't rule out the gfci going bad.
 
3 steps that I would recommend for troubleshooting
#1: Get a $5 receptacle tester from HD or Lowes to verify it's wired correctly
#2: Use one ballast at a time for a few days to see if one one trips it.
#3: A GFCI will still trip for overcurrent. While the circuit will still have a breaker in the breaker box, which would normally be a 15A breaker for wall outlets, the GFCI also acts as overcurrent protection. The GFCI may be too sensitive to overcurrent, or the halides are drawing too much.
 
I see the ballast offers "switching between lamp wattage and drive modes such as the HQI and Overdrive settings." Have you verified the settings?
 
I have them on the standard 250w. Found some discounted ballasts online, I think I'll just order those and see if that fixes it.
 
Are you firing them at the same time? I had that problem by doing just that! Now they start 5 min apart and I have zero issues with all 3 on a single gfci. When they start they draw some crazy power and amperage.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new