Metal Stand Wobbles/Vibrate

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I just noticed a problem with a metal stand I am using for a 180 gallon (yikes). I have no video of what I will try to describe and pics of said stand and tank below.

I had the stand steel stand made by a fabricating company to handle well over the 2000lbs load of a full 180. The weight doesnt seem to be the problem as I had the tank previously set up on this stand for years. There is 3/4" plywood on top of the stand that the aquarium sits on.

I recently bought one of the hammerhead mag floats that has the super strong magnet. When scraping the front glass I was getting close to the corners and the tank was visibly vibrating with the movement of the magnet. I hesitate to say wobbles because its not rocking. Its like a slight vibration. Upon further inspection, I can grip one of the legs of the stand and shake with force to make the water in the tank above vibrate. The stand and tank are perfectly leveled, its not a leveling issue. The stand is leveled using threaded bolts that screw into the bottom of each of four legs. They are screwed in and out to level each side. Im wondering that if because the stands weight is on these focused areas (the bolt head) I am able to vibrate the entire stand and thus the tank.

Obviously the tank is not moving on the stand because of how heavy it is, the entire stand is whats vibrating around slightly. Now, I have to give it force to do this, this magnet is insanely strong which pulling across the glass is strong enough to move, and only around the corners.

Are metal stands prone to this? Im thinking as long as the aquarium itself is not warping the silicone shouldnt be put under extra stress. This is obviously not ideal but wondering if anyone has any opinions.

Thanks.

image0.png image2 (1).jpeg image3 (1).jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Maybe someone is around tonight with metal stand experience. ,My thought is if it’s been up for years I would not worry, but that is just me. I built my 180 stand years ago and I’m still waiting for it to collapse :)

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump this up! I too get the heebie jeebies when I use my flipper with my 80/20 stand. The small wobbles freak me out every time. Anything we can do to reinforce aside from bolting the stand to the wall itself and anchoring it? If anchoring it is the solution, then maybe that's what should be done

Gumis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ez az állvány nagyon rosszul van megépítve.Ezt én gyártom. Aluminiumból

20170531_211917.jpg DSC_0008_2.JPG

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 96 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back