Metal stands!

Travisw30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i just wanted to put this out there for anyone interested. I am a welder and want to start building stands and structual frames for aquriums. So if you want free help let me know. Id like to get a few under my belt. Mostly i fabricate driveway gates and i build frames for marble and granite tilt tables right now.

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, Link didn't work for me either. Would love to see your ideas for stands.

Patent

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i build my own metal stands (union ironworker) and ive seen some really nice ones and some really scary ones.
ive also seen many that are so overly bilt that its not even funny. the obvious problem is the skin of the stand. its very hard to make a good (visually appealing)transition to wood

OP
OP
Travisw30

Travisw30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and my buddy do marble/granite work on the side and we were joking about wrapping this thing with some absolute black. Would be heavy but one of a kind. Or maybe a black with gold specks. Might do it for my 90g build.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good start. It might help to put CA in your location along with Atascadero, I had no idea where Atascadero was. You gave me an idea- what about a titanium frame with carbon fiber inserts? That would be different!

CJ

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

a pretty good write up, but i cope my tubing instead of 45. it gives more surface area for welding. also you said bigger tanks you use 2x4 tubing? how big are you talking? i have yet to find a need to use 2x4 tube

Looks like a good start. It might help to put CA in your location along with Atascadero, I had no idea where Atascadero was. You gave me an idea- what about a titanium frame with carbon fiber inserts? That would be different!

CJ

at the price of titanium, and the tooling it would take to work in it would not be worth it.

WrasseSandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steel Stand FTW

P7180583.jpg

photoStand.jpg

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely like to see some of your work on here. Post some build threads so I can see what I'll never be able to do! ;)

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like 1x3 tubing (about 2.2lbs/ foot if its 14 gauge) around 50 lbs
at 4' its kinda personal preference on if you want a brace or not. i normally do.
just for a rough idea the stand i have my 180 is made from 2x2 16 gauge tube. it has a center brace going vertical and horizontal

Last edited:

WrasseSandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was the thickness on those beams?? and did you run cross beams? and also how heavy was your stand?? i'm looking to do something exactly like yours and was wondering the specs on it..

its 1.5" x 3" don't know the thickness but will measure later, don't know what you mean by cross beams, its pretty heavy probably in the 120-140 range

1.5x3-1.jpg

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the cost of what you're looking to do? I might be interested in something like this when I replace my 40 Breeder tank. Having that durability would make me feel better, not to mention I could change wood skins when I feel like it!

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and my buddy do marble/granite work on the side and we were joking about wrapping this thing with some absolute black. Would be heavy but one of a kind. Or maybe a black with gold specks. Might do it for my 90g build.

That would definitely be a sweet looking one of a kind tank stand...keep us posted on what you do!!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back