Methylene blue dosing

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would leave it in the bucket with methylene blue myself assuming you have methylene blue at the right concentration. Unless someone has a reference I do not believe methylene blue effects oxygen levels in the water. Instead it helps the fish utilize the oxygen in the water more efficiently especially in ammonia or cyanide type situations. Kay recommended 2 ppm. An article I read said 3-5 ppm. I would be careful with the dose ie not overdosing. If it is ammonia from shipping (do you have a test?) it takes some time to resolve. Best wishes with your fish keep us updated

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A one hour bath with methylene blue is typically at 5 ppm (thought the range is huge). This is the same as 5 mg/l. If your stock solution is 100mg in 20 ml, then it is 5 mg per ml and you would just add one ml of the stock solution per liter of tank volume.

Jay
Thank you Jay! This is what I was looking for…

I had 19 liters of water and added 20 mL so I guess I figured that out right.

Unfortunately, the fish didn’t survive. I’m beyond frustrated and don’t know what to do. I really wanted a tang and this is pretty much my only option with the 60 gallon cube, but I don’t want to keep losing fish like this.

I feel like I did everything possible to keep them alive and I’m 1 for 4 right now on fish from a reputable source. Ironically, my 3 fish from petco of all places are doing great, go figure…

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily for you, Dr. Reef is great with replacements.

I got a nice tomini tang from him a while back and it has been doing great for me.

If this one dies, let him know and he will more than likely replace it.
I think the point is being missed here. He may be good with replacements but is the shipping was done correctly he wouldn’t have to replace the fish. Sure, the person may recoup the money they lost but a fish has lost its life. It’s not all about money. Perhaps, try a different vendor for better results.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extending the methelyne will further reduce oxygen.
How so?

I know the fish has passed.... but.

Methelyne blue will increase methemoglobin which will increase the oxygen carrying capacity of the fish. That is why it is recommended for fish believed to be suffering from ammonia or cyanide poisoning.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How so?

I know the fish has passed.... but.

Methelyne blue will increase methemoglobin which will increase the oxygen carrying capacity of the fish. That is why it is recommended for fish believed to be suffering from ammonia or cyanide poisoning.
This is my understanding of it as well. It’s been used for cyanide poisoning in humans (although I believe the evidence isn’t exactly great).

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the point is being missed here. He may be good with replacements but is the shipping was done correctly he wouldn’t have to replace the fish. Sure, the person may recoup the money they lost but a fish has lost its life. It’s not all about money. Perhaps, try a different vendor for better results.
I don’t think he did anything wrong shipping. It was packaged with in a cooler and overnighted with double sealed bags. The bags were a little cold from the ice pack; but I think that’s hard to predict what temperatures it’s going to go through.

I’m still extremely frustrated. I wish they had captive bread tominis. I seem to have so much better luck with the captive bread fish, I’ve never lost one with this tank or my previous tank. They just seem much hardier.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back