Mexican turbo in 29g

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 currently in my 29g and a cuc from reef cleaners. Had to add the turbos because had a lot of hair algae that nothing was eating and they were only a dollar each. They have demolished the algae and i no longer rlly need them. How many should i get rid of or should i keep them. I read somewhere the turbos come from colder waters so i dont want one dying and causing problems.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Mexican turbo (1) in a 75g and it was sufficient. It lived around a year or longer before it just mysteriously died...at the same time as a big Zebra turbo! So, I don't think it had anything to do with the temp of the water.

In a 29g, you will probably be fine with only one...especially since you have other cuc members.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Mexican turbo (1) in a 75g and it was sufficient. It lived around a year or longer before it just mysteriously died...at the same time as a big Zebra turbo! So, I don't think it had anything to do with the temp of the water.

In a 29g, you will probably be fine with only one...especially since you have other cuc members.
They did their job, sounds good

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did their job, sounds good

I wasn't aware of Mexican turbos as being considered a cooler water snail. I know the Margarita snails are definitely cooler water snails and only live a limited time in our tanks.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 currently in my 29g and a cuc from reef cleaners. Had to add the turbos because had a lot of hair algae that nothing was eating and they were only a dollar each. They have demolished the algae and i no longer rlly need them. How many should i get rid of or should i keep them. I read somewhere the turbos come from colder waters so i dont want one dying and causing problems.
I don’t see getting rid of any, I have a dozen or so in a 180g for years, I don’t see any algae but they thrive.....see them a lot on the coralline on the back glass.

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine to rod a tank of hair algae and while they did the job literally over night it quickly came back. Make sure you do a few water changes after they consume it all. I’ve had mine for a year or so and it has doubled in size at least. It looks like a slimy golf ball. I lost a few because I didn’t see that they had flipped over and ended up dieing. Last I looked reef cleaners didn’t have any in stock, I need a few more.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine to rod a tank of hair algae and while they did the job literally over night it quickly came back. Make sure you do a few water changes after they consume it all. I’ve had mine for a year or so and it has doubled in size at least. It looks like a slimy golf ball. I lost a few because I didn’t see that they had flipped over and ended up dieing. Last I looked reef cleaners didn’t have any in stock, I need a few more.
I had 5, and they killed my gha problem in a week. Recently gave them away to new reefers with the same problem. I kept the smallest one and he is now the size of a golf ball. I feed regularly so he as plenty of algae to munch on.

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 5, and they killed my gha problem in a week. Recently gave them away to new reefers with the same problem. I kept the smallest one and he is now the size of a golf ball. I feed regularly so he as plenty of algae to munch on.
6-8 of them cleared a 40 gallon of gha literally overnight! My wife even noticed the change and commented on it. Not every time she sees gha in one of my tanks she says, “ you need more golf balls” . What was upsetting is the gha came back because even though they physically are the gha they still left the nutrients in the tank. My fault for not following with a few substantial water changes!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are lawnmowers literally. Check on them daily as if they do flip , they cant turn themselves over and will die. 3-4 in a 29g will be sufficient

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am shocked they ate this one invasive algae that was covering my bowerbankis. It was this bright red color I was about to tear down my tank and they destroyed the algae. Corals looking so happy now. Been doing more water changes too. Very happy! Going to add a refugium too!

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't aware of Mexican turbos as being considered a cooler water snail. I know the Margarita snails are definitely cooler water snails and only live a limited time in our tanks.

yeah their native habitat is 72 to 76 degrees I believe, so the Mexican turbos do benefit from a "lower" temperature compared to the recommended reef tanks. I try to keep my tank around 76/77 since I have cowries which also benefit from a lower temp.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back