Mexican Turbo snail hibernation?

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find a better thread to post this in, but after fighting off a dino outbreak I had zero algae in the tank. At least noticeable algae. Although there are copepods.

I've noticed the last two or three days my large Mexican Turbo snail hasn't been moving at all. Now I know he's still alive but I also discovered that my toddler of a nephew unplugged my heating element about 3 days ago. My tank droped from 77° to 69° almost 70°. It only now is back to 77°. Could my snail have stopped moving because of the temperature difference or is it conserving energy due to lack of food?

I want to clarify. I see it, hasn't moved in about a week, and no fish in tank due to complications. Just some clean up crew. I KNOW FOR SURE ITS ALIVE STILL. Just looking for the cause of the lack of movement. This isn't a new snail, I've had him for about 4 months and I'm fairly familiar with it's movement patterns. This is definitely not normal.

Nitrate 25
Phos .1
Ammonia 0

Last edited:

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proberbly just digesting food, there stomach is as big as as a full stop . If not smaller, they constantly eat so it may be having a poo, if it's not being eaten by others then it's alive, you will find it in a couple of days and it may disappear again

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proberbly just digesting food, there stomach is as big as as a full stop . If not smaller, they constantly eat so it may be having a poo, if it's not being eaten by others then it's alive, you will find it in a couple of days and it may disappear again
Oh I see it, I know for sure it's alive. No fish in the tank or corals. Just a hermit or two and conch/urchin/shrimp.

But it hasn't moved in close to a week and I was wondering if the cold water slowed it down

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see it, I know for sure it's alive. No fish in the tank or corals. Just a hermit or two and conch/urchin/shrimp.

But it hasn't moved in close to a week and I was wondering if the cold water slowed it down
Possibly, but maybe it's nocturnal.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as its operculum remains closed, it is probably just resting. Mine do that periodically. Sometimes they don't move for a long, long time. When I dealt with dinos/cyano, I noticed that other snails (not turbos) would end up exposed on their shells. Those, I suspect, were lethargic due to toxins. I poke them to make sure they're alive. They usually close their operculum on touch. If so, I'd flip them over and let them be. If not, they're probably dead and crab food in the evening.

Since you are adamant that the temperature change be the cause of the behavior (and probably so!), maybe it would help to note that pacific east aquaculture states that their snails may be lethargic or shy or in hibernation for hours to days upon receipt depending on shipping conditions and temperature.

If you're sure it isn't dead, then leave it be.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as its operculum remains closed, it is probably just resting. Mine do that periodically. Sometimes they don't move for a long, long time. When I dealt with dinos/cyano, I noticed that other snails (not turbos) would end up exposed on their shells. Those, I suspect, were lethargic due to toxins. I poke them to make sure they're alive. They usually close their operculum on touch. If so, I'd flip them over and let them be. If not, they're probably dead and crab food in the evening.

Since you are adamant that the temperature change be the cause of the behavior (and probably so!), maybe it would help to note that pacific east aquaculture states that their snails may be lethargic or shy or in hibernation for hours to days upon receipt depending on shipping conditions and temperature.

If you're sure it isn't dead, then leave it be.
Thank you. It's operculum is definitely shut, I had amphidinium dinoflagellates so it wasn't too toxic to them. They were actually very happily munching on it. I have quite a few snails. But I did two blackouts and completely erased the Dinos from the tank. I know they're not eradicated but they're significantly reduced. To the point where I can't even find them. I made this post because I plan on going to my lfs to pick up my fish that were being quarantined for me and was debating on bringing the snail back so it wouldn't die. So instead of bringing him back, I'm going to keep a close eye on him now because I truly do believe it is the temperature drop. I've also ordered a thermostat with an alarm on it because toddlers will be toddlers. He's lucky I love that little monster

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. It's operculum is definitely shut, I had amphidinium dinoflagellates so it wasn't too toxic to them. They were actually very happily munching on it. I have quite a few snails. But I did two blackouts and completely erased the Dinos from the tank. I know they're not eradicated but they're significantly reduced. To the point where I can't even find them. I made this post because I plan on going to my lfs to pick up my fish that were being quarantined for me and was debating on bringing the snail back so it wouldn't die. So instead of bringing him back, I'm going to keep a close eye on him now because I truly do believe it is the temperature drop. I've also ordered a thermostat with an alarm on it because toddlers will be toddlers. He's lucky I love that little monster
Ah, children! They keep life interesting, no?

Keep us posted!

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, children! They keep life interesting, no?

Keep us posted!
Yeah.. well thank you. It's ridiculous, I know. Being attached to a snail but it's so massive! Just shy of the Palm of my hand. Him and my urchin are (although simple) the pride of my tank. Idk, I just love them

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to know another that cares for inhabitants
When I lost my foxface I was on the verge of tears. I felt so bad. Then I saw my clowns getting bad and I felt sick for a week watching them. If this link works, you'll see, they were in bad shape. *this is before I got the tank cleaned*

GerberGirth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.. well thank you. It's ridiculous, I know. Being attached to a snail but it's so massive! Just shy of the Palm of my hand. Him and my urchin are (although simple) the pride of my tank. Idk, I just love them

Did the snail ever end up moving?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back