Do snails hibernate?

207Meg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big turbo snail, normally continually on the move has been in same exact spot for five days. I assumed it was dead, and tried to pull from tank, but it's foot is still suctioned to glass. Do snails hibernate or chill like that for a week? Or is it dead and somehow the foot still has suction power?

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this one, Last week one of my Mexican turbo snail did the same thing but for about 2 days, after that it became active and now I always see it in a different place, I was reading a little about it and I found that sometimes they don't move much during the day but I don't know how true that is, I hope someone can give you a better answer and that way we all learn, welcome to R2R

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big turbo snail, normally continually on the move has been in same exact spot for five days. I assumed it was dead, and tried to pull from tank, but it's foot is still suctioned to glass. Do snails hibernate or chill like that for a week? Or is it dead and somehow the foot still has suction power?
Honestly from my experience I have had this same thing happen to my snails. They will stay in one position for a couple of days, then go back to moving like nothing happened. Following this as well

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your Aquarium Temperature go up? Mexican Turbo Snails are a Cold Water Snail. They’ll be okay in the low to mid 70’s, much above that, and they get slowly cooked. If you can get hold of some African Turbo Snails, they are a warm water snail. Impossible for a Hobbyist to tell them apart.

OP
OP

207Meg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your Aquarium Temperature go up? Mexican Turbo Snails are a Cold Water Snail. They’ll be okay in the low to mid 70’s, much above that, and they get slowly cooked. If you can get hold of some African Turbo Snails, they are a warm water snail. Impossible for a Hobbyist to tell them apart.
Oh, didn't know that. My tank sits about 77 degrees. Probably too warm.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back