MH bulb's choice

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the bulb brand, wattage and ballast you are using? Please post pictures, if you can.
Hey sorry I took a while.
I use these and the reefbrite 400w ballasts.
I also use 4 reefbrite LEDs xho strips. My par is 300-800 (300 sandbed and 800 10” below water surface.

I’m only running a 36” fixture on my 72” tank right in the middle. Next year, I’m adding two kessils one on each side with the angle piece so I can lend the blues more. The corners of my tank although not directly lit still show 180-250 par.

98F2EE8F-EA42-4F49-B0B6-7E39B2144508.jpeg EA549D80-5016-4CA8-9544-7332D6194129.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry I took a while.
I use these and the reefbrite 400w ballasts.
I also use 4 reefbrite LEDs xho strips. My par is 300-800 (300 sandbed and 800 10” below water surface.

I’m only running a 36” fixture on my 72” tank right in the middle. Next year, I’m adding two kessils one on each side with the angle piece so I can lend the blues more. The corners of my tank although not directly lit still show 180-250 par.

98F2EE8F-EA42-4F49-B0B6-7E39B2144508.jpeg EA549D80-5016-4CA8-9544-7332D6194129.jpeg
what is the Kelvin at this bulbs ? what type of reflectors are you using with ? 800 par is phenomenal results!
I get 550 just below water surface

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that is really "yellowish"
It’s VERY yellow haha. I like it though, it feels like I’m going diving in the living room. I only run them for 6 hours though the rest of the time it’s 100% blue dawn and dusk.

I enjoy it, to be honest. Once I hit the 10 month mark, I will switch these and go to a 14k look most likely. These bulbs grow corals quicks - now it’s obviously a combination of husbandry, kalk, skimmer, etc. etc. and stability with the elements BUT i think these bulbs are very good at growing a tank full of frags into mini colonies quick.
I run reefbrites halide/led hybrid with 4 led xho strips.

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s VERY yellow haha. I like it though, it feels like I’m going diving in the living room. I only run them for 6 hours though the rest of the time it’s 100% blue dawn and dusk.

I enjoy it, to be honest. Once I hit the 10 month mark, I will switch these and go to a 14k look most likely. These bulbs grow corals quicks - now it’s obviously a combination of husbandry, kalk, skimmer, etc. etc. and stability with the elements BUT i think these bulbs are very good at growing a tank full of frags into mini colonies quick.
I run reefbrites halide/led hybrid with 4 led xho strips.
that is awesome for the 1-2 first years to accelerate the frags growth .
switching to 14k bulbs will not harm the coral ? I think that it will the corals stress .
I'm using 14k 400w bulbs (hamilton) , PAR readings just below water surfaces is 500 and at the floor ita 250

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is awesome for the 1-2 first years to accelerate the frags growth .
switching to 14k bulbs will not harm the coral ? I think that it will the corals stress .
I'm using 14k 400w bulbs (hamilton) , PAR readings just below water surfaces is 500 and at the floor ita 250
I don’t think it’ll stress the corals more than just the corals changing colors due to new lights. As long as the par is good with 14k bulbs and my tank is stable I don’t see any way it would harm them.
You have good par

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’ll stress the corals more than just the corals changing colors due to new lights. As long as the par is good with 14k bulbs and my tank is stable I don’t see any way it would harm them.
You have good par
Thanks mate

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

I switched to radium 20k earlier this year and I’m happy with the switch, but not the rate of growth . I feel that the other bulbs I was running gave my corals more color and growth… I’m thinking of trying out 10k I kind of grew out of the 5500k look.

We’re so used to more blue lights… idk maybe run one side of the tank with 20k and one with 5500k to see what happens?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

I switched to radium 20k earlier this year and I’m happy with the switch, but not the rate of growth . I feel that the other bulbs I was running gave my corals more color and growth… I’m thinking of trying out 10k I kind of grew out of the 5500k look.

We’re so used to more blue lights… idk maybe run one side of the tank with 20k and one with 5500k to see what happens?
Try to use 10K or 14K bulbs, not the 55K. The Radium bulb is actually a white/blue bulb. The growth will be faster with a 10K or 14K. It will also depend on the application too... deeper tanks will need more wattage, for example. Radium bulbs are better for colors, not growth. It's the way it is with spectrum.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to use 10K or 14K bulbs, not the 55K. The Radium bulb is actually a white/blue bulb. The growth will be faster with a 10K or 14K. It will also depend on the application too... deeper tanks will need more wattage, for example. Radium bulbs are better for colors, not growth. It's the way it is with spectrum.
Thank you.

I need single ended bulb. Which do you recommend for 10k?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

I need single ended bulb. Which do you recommend for 10k?
I like Ushio the best! I'm using currently Hamilton 10Ks with magntic ballasts. Love it! I love all halides, though!!! LOL!

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Ushio the best! I'm using currently Hamilton 10Ks with magntic ballasts. Love it! I love all halides, though!!! LOL!
Lol I love all halides too. Do you think I should make the switch now or it doesn’t really matter? The bulbs are about 8 months old so nothing crazy.

Also, should I be running these guys without the glass cover on the fixture? Not sure if that has an impact on color and growth too.

Do you have a link as well? There’s so many websites/options…

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I love all halides too. Do you think I should make the switch now or it doesn’t really matter? The bulbs are about 8 months old so nothing crazy.

Also, should I be running these guys without the glass cover on the fixture? Not sure if that has an impact on color and growth too.

Do you have a link as well? There’s so many websites/options…
You can change the bulbs any time you want. The main thing is to make sure you adapt the system to the new bulb. Going from 20K to 10K or 14K you should go slower then when just changing to a new bulb of the same brand/wattage/Kelvin. Use the new bulbs for half of the time or less and add an hour every week or so. That's the way I do here. I have supplemental T5s on their normal daily photoperiod while changing the halides.
I use the glass on any metal halide fixture (SE or DE)!!
Below is the link for Ushio bulbs.
The 250W 14000K is the only one discontinued/out of stock as for today.
Cheers!

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can change the bulbs any time you want. The main thing is to make sure you adapt the system to the new bulb. Going from 20K to 10K or 14K you should go slower then when just changing to a new bulb of the same brand/wattage/Kelvin. Use the new bulbs for half of the time or less and add an hour every week or so. That's the way I do here. I have supplemental T5s on their normal daily photoperiod while changing the halides.
I use the glass on any metal halide fixture (SE or DE)!!
Below is the link for Ushio bulbs.
The 250W 14000K is the only one discontinued/out of stock as for today.
Cheers!
Thank you! I do have LED supplements. They’re weak though ~ 80 par at the top.

What is the difference on these guys, twin arc? https://www.reefbum.com/product/reef-brite-twin-arc-400w-10-10k-bulb/

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I do have LED supplements. They’re weak though ~ 80 par at the top.

What is the difference on these guys, twin arc? https://www.reefbum.com/product/reef-brite-twin-arc-400w-10-10k-bulb/
The Reef Brite Twin-Arc bulbs are lamps with 2 arcs, but only one of those arcs will light up at a time, in an alternating pattern. The advantage is that you will use the lamp for double the time you would use if you had one with a single arc. I've never used any of the Reef Brite gear yet.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reef Brite Twin-Arc bulbs are lamps with 2 arcs, but only one of those arcs will light up at a time, in an alternating pattern. The advantage is that you will use the lamp for double the time you would use if you had one with a single arc. I've never used any of the Reef Brite gear yet.
That makes sense. My fixture is from reefbrite.

Im torn between the ushio and reefbrite right now.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. My fixture is from reefbrite.

Im torn between the ushio and reefbrite right now.
Specially if your ballast is also from Reef Brite you will be most likely be very happy with the Twin-Arc bulbs. Reef Brite's electronic ballast are supposed to somehow detect what bulb is connected to it and give the bulb the right amount of energy for the best performance. Have fun.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back