MH trouble. Needing HELP

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two things, when I bought 24 Hamilton DE 14k and 20k bulbs, I was told Hamilton would have new stock in March. Well, that came and went and I still don't see new stock.

Second, when I was running MH only, 14k, my Acro colors were not good at all. Their health was excellent, but no color and certainly no blue color. I added the LEDs and everything colored up nicely.

I don't think this had anything to do with spectrum, but the light intensity. When I added a lot of LEDs and higher par, they colored up nicely. So just keep that in mind as you go along.
I was told April, but I also heard not until June or July before they have stock again. I use 14k bulbs and they color up everything, but they don't always show the florescence by themselves, but when they turn off and it's just the Quanta bars, there's florescence for days. They (14k bulbs) render color just fine, but don't always display/highlight them, but there are acropora that look drab under LEDs, but under 14k's, they shine like no other.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yea, LEDs certainly do bring out some great fluorescence when coupled with Halides. Though it is possible under perfect conditions to pull out authentic vivid colorations under 10k/14k lighting.
Nandos old tank always exemplified this perfectly I thought, although he did have some t5’s mixed in.
6ABCAA45-9394-400F-93B4-621670E0A53B.png
9E9AC9FC-7A28-4C32-9CDC-95EB6DD46725.png

Yeah, totally agree. That was back in my day too haha. Some of those tanks were packed FULL like the example you showed. Was something else and a lot harder in those days.

Makes me think a lot sometimes as skimmers and everything weren't even around really.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was told April, but I also heard not until June or July before they have stock again. I use 14k bulbs and they color up everything, but they don't always show the florescence by themselves, but when they turn off and it's just the Quanta bars, there's florescence for days. They (14k bulbs) render color just fine, but don't always display/highlight them, but there are acropora that look drab under LEDs, but under 14k's, they shine like no other.

Let's hope they get them back in soon. Same with me on the LEDs, they really being out the colors.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back