MH vs T5 vs Led

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two SB reeflights that I will be supplementing with two T-5s. I should have them going this summer. I'm just gonna dial them in, get the corals in the right PAR and leave everything alone. I've found in both fresh and saltwater tanks that everything does better when I just leave it alone.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you have the corals placed at the correct PAR / don’t make any adjustments to your lighting
As a rookie who lives on a large body of water I have to ask "does coral in the ocean get the same intensity and Par every day and all day? is it not cloudy or wavey?... Yes Adam is a frag Farmer and needs to GROW coral,
I am just looking to have coral that is growing as a sign of good health and aesthetics. Does our lighting have to be a laser sharp copy day in and day out?

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a rookie who lives on a large body of water I have to ask "does coral in the ocean get the same intensity and Par every day and all day? is it not cloudy or wavey?... Yes Adam is a frag Farmer and needs to GROW coral,
I am just looking to have coral that is growing as a sign of good health and aesthetics. Does our lighting have to be a laser sharp copy day in and day out?
That's an interesting point

Regg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there Absolutely! I definitely get the most out of my fixtures running them at 100% higher up. With a shadow tank system this is by far the most efficient way to use the lights. Id need twice as many to cover the same area at 50% or less at 8-10 " above the water. Spread and coverage is much better the higher you go and the V2s have a lot of punch so you can still get a lot of par at those heights. . And to answer your question, I have done the exactly that many times, and its never really that cut and dry, but ultimately they seem to heal up and start growing again at about the sam rate in my experience.
how do you like the v2 I'm been back on forth aboutimg getting them I have reefer 750xxl and wanting to go led without breaking the budget I have a 8*80 watt ati would you suggest keeping it or try the v2

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
how do you like the v2 I'm been back on forth aboutimg getting them I have reefer 750xxl and wanting to go led without breaking the budget I have a 8*80 watt ati would you suggest keeping it or try the v2

I honestly love the v2's they are a well designed and very powerful light. currently running 14 of them now

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Kessils, hydra HDs, Kessils again and ended up back with an ATI T5 fixture. I think Adam hit the nail on the head in that with Leds people constantly mess with it and that’s the issue.

I too have gone back to strictly early 2000s tech and my tank is doing great. I think whatever you use, stability is the key.

I too think that is the issue with most people and their LEDs. Since they can adjust them they tinker too much and cause more harm than good. I am one of those that just set my LEDs to a certain level and just leave it alone. I don't need any of the storm features, etc from them I just needed light. I also supplement my LEDs with T5s on my DT and my frag tank the reverse. I am getting good growth on my frag tank with the T5s/LED supplement.

I am using my frag tank as my grow out so when I am ready to move them to my display, I will know what PAR each coral likes best and give them that same PAR when I put then in my DT. I just gotta get to a point now with my DT to where I have the aquascape where I want it. Now that is the challenging part of the equation (at least from what my situation is).

For anyone going back and forth about MH vs T5 vs LED, I'd say do yourselves a favor and just get T5s and supplement with LED. With the money you save over the LEDs (can be a ton of money if you need a bunch of fixtures), use it to pay for electricity (which isn't that much) and by yourself some awesome coral and let them grow for you. I am 100% glad that is the approach that I took when setting up my frag tank. No regrets or buyer remorse.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I think at times we tend to over compensate in this hobby from what is the new trend (or what this or that vendor is promoting) rather than looking at our own situation(s) and determining the best course of action based upon our own needs and objectives. Just because a farmer can grow coral under this or that light doesn't mean that you will have the same success. Too many times we forget the other key factors in growing that coral, i.e husbandry. No matter how much light or what type of light your throw at that particular piece, if your husbandry is lacking and your parameters are all over the place, your "luck" will run out and you will not have success. Even in situations where you do everything you think is needed for that piece to thrive, that still doesn't guarantee success with it.

I guess what I am saying is to stop trying to be like the Jones's and be like yourself. Do your research and make the best educated decision you can and if you need that little push to get you to where you want to be, already be prepared by having your options narrowed down to what fits your budget and then at that time reach out to others. Even then, you have to still decipher through the minutiae ;)

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First let me say I am following this thread with interest. But, when I read through this I have to wonder, how long will those of us in the hobby debate this topic, or specifically the relevance/success of LEDs? At some point, will it just be the norm and no one will think twice about LEDs being the main source of light in the hobby?

Anyway, I am soon transitioning to LEDs from MH (I have had LEDs before but not on this particular tank) and excited and hopeful to have just as much success with them as I have with MH. But, I'll be keeping those MH fixtures close at least for awhile just in case I feel I need to backtrack. :)

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First let me say I am following this thread with interest. But, when I read through this I have to wonder, how long will those of us in the hobby debate this topic, or specifically the relevance/success of LEDs? At some point, will it just be the norm and no one will think twice about LEDs being the main source of light in the hobby?

Anyway, I am soon transitioning to LEDs from MH (I have had LEDs before but not on this particular tank) and excited and hopeful to have just as much success with them as I have with MH. But, I'll be keeping those MH fixtures close at least for awhile just in case I feel I need to backtrack. :)

I think it will continue to be a debate unfortunately because everyone feels their is the best way. Whatever works for you then I’d say do you and not worry about everyone/everything else.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will continue to be a debate unfortunately because everyone feels their is the best way. Whatever works for you then I’d say do you and not worry about everyone/everything else.
I am certainly not worried about everyone else, it was more of an "I wonder" post. As at some point in time T5's were new to the hobby as well, now they are not questioned about their relevance. I wonder how many years that took. :)

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am certainly not worried about everyone else, it was more of an "I wonder" post. As at some point in time T5's were new to the hobby as well, now they are not questioned about their relevance. I wonder how many years that took. :)

Definitely wasn’t implying that. Just a broad statement that so happened to be a reply to your post. I think LEDs are already there honestly whether they grow coral. Don’t think that is a question at this point, at least not to me.

I think it comes down to which fixture, the quality of said fixture, and the price point. I am running my original Hydra 52s and I have had good growth with them UNTIL I neglected my tank. Now I am back at it again and hope not to neglect it like I did a few years ago. Working from home now so there should be no excuse.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had v2’s on my Biocube and because I couldn’t raise them more than 6 inches I couldn’t get a happy setting with them. Directly under them was fine but everything else wasn’t. If I cranked up to get better par around the sides I’d fry what was under them. I believe LED’s need to be at max hight to whatever the par range you want at the bottom of your tank. It’ll give the spread and par everyone wants. Too close and it becomes a shadow game.
These are just my views:)

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This a really tough question. I mean i go back and forth myself all the time. I think it comes down to LED VS T5 mostly because the effects of halide are similar enough to LED that for me theres isn't as much of a comparison performance wise.

Pound for pound I think t5s deliver such an even and well distributed amount of light that sps just thrive under them in away that they don't under point source lighting. Purely anecdotal but I cant deny whats in front of me. However, when i see the kind of coloration the punch from led can pull, it's hard not to bounce back to that side of the fence. Factor in buying bulbs, and it's led for sure. Every time i buy another batch of t5 bulbs, 10-16 or so at a time I say to myself "well that could have been another led fixture" lol
Hello what is your opinion years later?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back