Miami Reef’s Build Thread

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright here’s the deal: my current tank is over a decade old and was built REALLY REALLY crappy. The plumbing system…the overflows, the sock is getting its water from laundry machine pipes…and it’s only hand pressure that’s holding it in place. The acrylic brace even broke last week…because they literally used silicone, and the silicone is also peeling from the inside of the tank.

I was aware of a few of these problems, but I really wanted to fix things BEFORE I got a tank crash. I believe being proactive can prevent most of the failures. So I’m working on getting a new tank (same sized) built in the same place as this tank. We will do the switcheroo when the time comes. Luckily, my tank is not in critical condition yet, so it’s a perfect time to do this.

I found a good company and they seem very reasonable. I will discuss my plans, based off my experiences and troubles with my current tank. I’m also going to make a thread so I can get a good system and NOT getting scammed like my grandfather did when he first build this house & tank.
That’s a good plan, dealing with the issue before it gets too bad!! I’m excited even though it’s basically the same as this tank.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) Glad it suits you well. Nice collection of fish too do you expect to rehome any of them due to size?
Good question, if they ever outgrow the tank I would have no issues rehoming them. As long as the new tank is larger than mine.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Do you think that will happen to any of your fish?
Not really tbh. I think my tank is on the lower spectrum of fish bioload. But if I ever see a fish struggling and having a bad quality of life, I will not hesitate to rehome any of them.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Im working with a custom aquarium company and I should have a new build pretty soon!

Here’s what you should know: my current tank is actually made of glass and is 300 gallons ;Facepalm

No wonder. I thought it was a 250 gallon acrylic tank.

The new tank will be 280 gallons. Made of glass as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back