Miami Reef’s Build Thread

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the blue background didn’t work out. You know what they say…Once you go black…

But. I added the remaining fish to my tank! Look at the yellow and powder blue tangs!

ACC55B73-9774-4456-BF3C-1453900650B3.jpeg
Very pretty!! I’m jealous of the size that YT is, my YT when I had him was about the size of the average scopas tang you see. Unfortunately died in an ammonia spike.
Very nice looking Orange shoulder too!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a cover for my tank ASAP.

Will eggcrate and a fine mesh block out my T5 lighting?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a cover for my tank ASAP.

Will eggcrate and a fine mesh block out my T5 lighting?
My fine mesh lid doesn’t block out lighting but I don’t know about egg crate.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral QT tank. I only have an anemone (and 2 snails) which will go in the DT next month. Total 45 day QT. I’m really excited about this addition because I have 2 maroon clownfish that I paired myself in the tank

A clam is currently hosting one of the fish.
192FA0F3-D356-480F-9DC8-3C48BDDCBC60.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. They do. Make sure you follow the wrasse chart that @evolved made.
May I just add, there are always exceptions however the more aggressive wrasse tend to only get along with eachother (Thalassoma, Scottorum complex, Jade wrasses and most the larger Halichoeres wrasses, most wrasse genera with pseudo before their name tend to be aggressive b******* but there can be the exception).

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I just add, there are always exceptions however the more aggressive wrasse tend to only get along with eachother (Thalassoma, Scottorum complex, Jade wrasses and most the larger Halichoeres wrasses, most wrasse genera with pseudo before their name tend to be aggressive b******* but there can be the exception).
Thanks...good to know!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank really does look this clear in real life! I used a diatom filter.

98FF66C5-92D8-4E43-B10A-50A33ED8A382.jpeg
DCEE91A2-BD1C-413D-8BF8-F7991A91D773.jpeg
D145680F-0A70-4404-9292-2062D8FD2B3F.jpeg
D355FFF4-A5C5-4E4C-A500-33AF481C71D6.jpeg
12D5FE6F-6171-4700-BE00-86D23E9EB679.jpeg
Every time I see your tank it always makes me jealous haha, hopefully my two will look like that at some point!!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad story.

My tank broke out in ich. I’m in the process of turning my reef tank into a FOWLR. Corals take too much of my time and are too expensive to maintain. I also cannot risk my fish dying from parasites.

As of right now I’m planning on moving the corals into the QT and sell them as quick as I can. I will probably start ramping the copper in the DT once I get all the corals and inverts out.

I don’t think my tank was ever built to be a reef tank. Especially with my beloved moorish idol who likes to eat corals. You can see in my pictures that corals were never my passion. It’s always been the fish.

If my moorish idol dies I’d be devastated. It’s currently the most infested Moorish idol and tangs>corals.

We’ll see. I thought I’d keep this thread updated on this. I don’t think anyone knows of my plan yet, so there’s that.

I’m going to sleep on this tonight. We’ll see where my mind is tomorrow. I have a headache.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad story.

My tank broke out in ich. I’m in the process of turning my reef tank into a FOWLR. Corals take too much of my time and are too expensive to maintain. I also cannot risk my fish dying from parasites.

As of right now I’m planning on moving the corals into the QT and sell them as quick as I can. I will probably start ramping the copper in the DT once I get all the corals and inverts out.

I don’t think my tank was ever built to be a reef tank. Especially with my beloved moorish idol who likes to eat corals. You can see in my pictures that corals were never my passion. It’s always been the fish.

If my moorish idol dies I’d be devastated. It’s currently the most infested Moorish idol and tangs>corals.

We’ll see. I thought I’d keep this thread updated on this. I don’t think anyone knows of my plan yet, so there’s that.

I’m going to sleep on this tonight. We’ll see where my mind is tomorrow. I have a headache.
Sorry to hear. I'm definitely of the same opinion. Fish >>>corals :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is that I can get my favorite fishes! These are a few of my ALL TIME FAVORITES!!

Dogface Puffer
Harlequin Tusk
LARGE ANGELS

The dog face is 2nd my all time favorite fish (after the moorish) Guests LOVE that fish (I used to have them a while ago).

I’m honestly excited!! No more testing, dosing, micromanaging, scared a coral will die by looking at it funny.

Just a peaceful fish tank that actually looks GOOD!

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I can have more time to…actually live my life! I’m only 22! I’ve been locked in my house micromanaging my tank to the point of exhaustion. It’s time to actually LIVE! I’m really happy this ich thing came up. Everything happens for a reason.
How’d it happen? You were very diligent about QTing all the fish.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’d it happen? You were very diligent about QTing all the fish.
I don’t know. I was extremely diligent and followed all the rules. I bleached everything more than what most people would. If I doubted something…bleach!

People here are saying that 14 days in copper + transfer wasn’t enough - Humblefish recommended it!

Maybe my fallow failed?

It’s a mystery and very disappointed because I worked so hard and tested my copper daily. Never dropped below 2.5 with Hannah checker. I even dosed metro so the chances of ich slipping through is so rare.

I don’t know how it’s possible!

Here’s an example of something. I dipped my hand into a tank with brook. My hand was damp as I closed the light switch, but my brute can for my Reef tank was right below my damp hand.

Instead of saying “no water droplets fell; it’s fine” you know what I did? I took the brute outside and washed and thoroughly dried it…it’s still outside drying till this day (almost a week).

I’m crazy and slightly neurotic. It’s so impossible that it failed from me being lazy.

Last edited:

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know. I was extremely diligent and followed all the rules. I bleached everything more than what most people would. If I doubted something…bleach!

People here are saying that 14 days in copper + transfer wasn’t enough - Humblefish recommended it!

Maybe my fallow failed?

It’s a mystery and very disappointed because I worked so hard and tested my copper daily. Never dropped below 2.5 with Hannah checker. I even dosed metro so the chances of ich slipping through is so rare.

I don’t know how it’s possible!

Here’s an example of something. I dipped my hand into a tank with brook. My hand was damp as I closed the light switch, but my brute can for my Reef tank was right below my damp hand.

Internas of saying “no water droplets fell; it’s fine” you know what I did? I took the brute outside and washed and thoroughly dried it…it’s still outside drying till this day (almost a week).

I’m crazy and slightly neurotic. It’s so impossible that it failed from me being lazy.
Sorry to hear it. Well now you can focus on fish only.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back