Michael's Reefer 170

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your build thread helped me go with Blue Tide & Reef Octopus Varios, so thank you!

Yeah, I'm still tinkering with it. I'm genuinely worried about heat. There are lots of threads about people starting a macro-algae reactor, but few who have run them for months or a year. There are a few posts of them cracking and leaking after a long time.

I think ReefBum and others are pushing the heat angle to sell Pax Bellum, but it is a concern. I'm not going to wrap it in vinyl yet and I'll monitor the heat. I asked one of the reactor manufacturers and they guessed it would work for a few years before cracking. It depends on the lights and other factors. If I had space, I would have done the Pax Bellum just because it's a known quanity.

Love the NYOS, the first once I received was broken and poorly built which is hard to explain. The replacement unit is perfect. Another thread on R2R said the NYOS was quieter than the Deltec, that heavily influenced me.
Good feedback. I am watching my Aquamaxx reactor carefully for cracks. Pax Bellum stuff is sexy as heck but I was in your same boat, no space. If they make a short, squatty one, I'm in!!! As for the Deltec v. Nyos, my Deltec is only slightly higher noise than the Varios. If the Nyos is even quieter, what a score!!! Couldn't go wrong with either choice.

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrMichael

Even Pax-Bellum recommends that you replace the inner light tube/diffuser plates once a years, but they have an updated version coming out that is "Indestructible high temperature amorphous green plastic".

And a new line of cheaper ARID reactors will be announced at MACNA!
Woooot!!! I just need it shorter; if it's cheaper, even better. Better pack a bigger bag for MACNA!!!

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bypassed their top up by not installing and you're using your own ATO correct? I also don't want to use their top up but use the smart ATO I already have. I'm thinking about drilling a small hole back of cabinet to run the tubing from ATO through, what do you think? It will be connected to a 5 g Trigger ATO which will sit outside next to cabinet, between the wall and cabinet, easier to fill.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bypassed their top up by not installing and you're using your own ATO correct? I also don't want to use their top up but use the smart ATO I already have. I'm thinking about drilling a small hole back of cabinet to run the tubing from ATO through, what do you think?

I didn't install their ATO. I'm currently running the tubing thru the back with all the power cords. You could drill a hole, but I not sure it cleans things up. I already have to run a half-dozen cables (power, probes) thru the back so adding one more black vinyl 3/8" tube seems minor.

I intend to use zip-ties & cables wraps to clean it all up.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy the 3/4" RFG? I couldn't tell from the picture but they make a 1/2" that is more suitable for the 170 and Nano. The thing is pretty neat and does what it says it does but I ended up removing it because I didn't like the extra water that drained into the sump when the power was off.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy the 3/4" RFG?.

I did. I initially thought it was a Fail because the excess water would almost flood the sump. I'm running it now because I've gotten more comfortable.

The trick is placement. Too high in water line and you get air into the nozzle or vortexes form behind creating an annoying slirping sound. Lower means more water in sump.

The water level gets within 3 inches of the top of my sump and if my reactors all lose power, it gets within 1inch. So yeah, it's a bit close but I really like the variability of flow.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey found ur thread

Tank looks nice and clean good job

When u tidy up ur cables make sure ur probes are separated away from power wires and such I have seen some crazy readings because of this. And why I believe my 1/2 fluid monitoring monitors never produce reasonable or beliveable gph.

What day were u at rap? I was there on Sunday handling the money for the tickets.

And ur completely right about getting proper corals from the start my list is battlecorals aquavista on here wwc and last jason fox.

I also recomend for ur future fish u look into tsm corals who was at Rap as well they had the gem tangs in the back. There fish are just healthy.

Also u think the first nyos was a return? Weird I have never heard anyone besides u say that that happened to them.

Continued luck in this hobby

Justin

So ur aio with the skimmer three feet above it looks like the Seattle skyline
IMG_2489.JPG

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where have I been?!?! That light looks amazing on your tank. You've done an awesome job on the sump area and that ATO container fits perfectly!

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When u tidy up ur cables make sure ur probes are separated away from power wires]

Thank you. I've heard that before but I would have forgotten to keep them separate.

What day were u at rap? I was there on Sunday handling the money for the tickets.

Saturday. The show was a bit smaller than I expected, but much much more crowded than I expected. So many people! What is crazy on Sunday too?

And ur completely right about getting proper corals from the start my list is battlecorals aquavista on here wwc and last jason fox.

It was so nice to see JF & WWC in person, their corals really do look that amazing! It's not photoshop. I think BattleCorals and maybe Divers Den complete the very short list. I'd love to get a Battlebox from Adam

I got some nice corals for amazing prices earlier this year, but I found the pests really frustrating (Aiptasia, bubble algae, digitate hydroids)

Also u think the first nyos was a return? Weird I have never heard anyone besides u say that that happened to them.

I think so only because it's so hard to explain. The good guys at Premium Aquatics said they hadn't received any returns, so unlikely they could have mixed up. But maybe it was a mixup at the manufacturer? No complaints with the new one.

So ur aio with the skimmer three feet above it looks like the Seattle skyline
Haha, that made me laugh. I like the visual

I also recomend for ur future fish u look into tsm corals who was at Rap as well they had the gem tangs in the back. There fish are just healthy.

Thank you. I saw those gem tangs, first time I'd seen one in person. I'm currently on the waitlist for an aquacultured coral beauty (i know, dwarf angel risky). Don't know if or when they will come in. I like supporting aquaculture and I've always wanted one.
IMG_20161230_150314991.jpg

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where have I been?!?! That light looks amazing on your tank. You've done an awesome job on the sump area and that ATO container fits perfectly!

Thank you @pelphrey, your YouTube videos really helped learning about the reefer. @GoVols gets some credit for leading me to GHL, but the light looks amazing. Zero regrets.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @pelphrey, your YouTube videos really helped learning about the reefer. @GoVols gets some credit for leading me to GHL, but the light looks amazing. Zero regrets.
(lol)
That was a team effort :) and look at that GHL spread. :D

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Saturday, I moved everything over. No losses. Lights on acclimation, pushing acans more in the shade as necessary.

I'll pry that monti frag off the magnet rock in the top right, and get rid of the rock. The three island look is ok. It was better in my imagination, but may work once things fill out, get mounted, rocks color up, and mature. Nothing is set in stone. I'll try to mount everything in the next ten days and get rid of the frag rack. Adjusting flow will be ongoing project for a bit.

DSC00157_1.jpg
DSC00187.jpg
DSC00190.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micheal,
Corals looking happy. :)
It looks great. I can't see a single shadow in your tank.
You may not need the GHL 90 degree brace.

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woooot!!! I just need it shorter; if it's cheaper, even better. Better pack a bigger bag for MACNA!!!
I will be using a Pax Bellum N18 on my new reefer 250. I'm having a pair of aluminum mounts machined to keep it horizontally on top of my sump.

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrMichael how loud is the NYOS 120 compared with the Varios? I'm searching for a quiet skimmer for a reefer 250

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrMichael how loud is the NYOS 120 compared with the Varios? I'm searching for a quiet skimmer for a reefer 250
The NYOS is louder than the Varios, it's the air & air mixing rather than pump I believe. It is still very quiet. From googling the NYOS seemed to be the quietest, but I personally have never done a side by side with an RO or Deltec.

The most noise from the sump comes from the water flowing into the sock. If you know what a reefer sounds like with only a normal flow return pump running, the nyos will be a bit quieter than the sound of water moving, the Varios will be much quieter.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back