Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In conjunction with bubbles i meant.

I run both, if that helps :)

A simple experiment:
Run surface agitation for a week, if you've already done this, great, you're halfway there.
Run microbubbles only for a week
Compare any differences you may notice :)

Then make your own choice and run with it...bubbles or no :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In conjunction with bubbles i meant.

Unless the water is supersaturated with a gas relative to the air, I cannot see how more agitation can do anything but raise the dissolved gas levels. If it is already supersaturated, it is more complicated, but more agitation probably tends to lower it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 64 day comparison shot of my blue and violet stag.
All iPhone pictures!
Acro compare14.jpg

If your pH is being raised by aeration with the outside air (and from the graph you showed I expect it is), then any coral growth rate increases when bubbling with outside air compared to not doing so may be from the pH change alone, and might be accomplished in other ways, such as running that same outside air to a skimmer, or opening windows more. :)

OP
OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same outside air to a skimmer, or opening windows more

I'm just fine with that, I have a healthy tank with growing corals, that's important to me!

I'm not touting this as THE methodology, just one of a long list that have positive results.

Maybe people should aerate their houses more or at least the rooms that their tanks are located in or install CO2 scrubbers in air lines, whatever works :)

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always get caught reading these things. Always the same, "seeing good results, more growth, better pe, clearer water, better color."
And this is after just 5 days. Wow!. Imagine after 10days, or two whole weeks.
Give me a break, post some real results when you have real data.
For those smart enough this will surely be a great way to make money. I can see the buzz already. The all new and improved ,," Nano-Bubbler" just set it and forget it. Never needs cleaing, never needs repairing, no moving parts. In fact it doesn't do anything at all. Ill take 2.....lol

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your pH is being raised by aeration with the outside air (and from the graph you showed I expect it is), then any coral growth rate increases when bubbling with outside air compared to not doing so may be from the pH change alone, and might be accomplished in other ways, such as running that same outside air to a skimmer, or opening windows more. :)

I think this is spot on for a lot of ppl in this hobby.
You balance your PH through out a 24/7 schedule with help of bubbling you do a lot better than the majority of the hobbyist.
A simple $50 fix, airpump $35, silicone tubing $7, Limewood diffuser $3 and a analog timer $5 KABOOM.
If you just accomplish the change for the better in PH with results in better growth why not.
All I see on the moment is just my water is a lot clearer and ppl who seen my tank wanted to know what kind of secret Activated Carbon I was using.............. well I don't use any of that or GFO or any other snake oil bottles.
I'll keep bubbling as far I know it can be only good, but what do I know ;)

OP
OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple $50 fix, airpump $35, silicone tubing $7, Limewood diffuser $3 and a analog timer $5 KABOOM

Initially this has worked very well for me, but now we're down to a spare pump and <$10 in fittings :)

change for the better in PH with results in better growth

This stability is most crucial I feel!

GFO or any other snake oil bottles

GFO is not snake oil, it works..too well :D

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always get caught reading these things. Always the same, "seeing good results, more growth, better pe, clearer water, better color."
And this is after just 5 days. Wow!. Imagine after 10days, or two whole weeks.
Give me a break, post some real results when you have real data.
For those smart enough this will surely be a great way to make money. I can see the buzz already. The all new and improved ,," Nano-Bubbler" just set it and forget it. Never needs cleaing, never needs repairing, no moving parts. In fact it doesn't do anything at all. Ill take 2.....lol

I have over a hundred limewood airstones that I could not sell back in the day....this is my lucky day now I can move the inventory! See if you hold on to something long enough it comes back into fashion....well not my old mullet since it fell out and turned grey...LOL.

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have over a hundred limewood airstones that I could not sell back in the day....this is my lucky day now I can move the inventory! See if you hold on to something long enough it comes back into fashion....well not my old mullet since it fell out and turned grey...LOL.
Lol. Whenever they release a new "Joe Dirt" movie the mullet makes a come back.

Dulcelife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no scientist, just a simple taco bender, but I was assuming the latter part. Bubbles bring the stuff to the surface. Kinda seems like your turning your whole tank into a giant skimmer. Maybe I just have a crappy skimmer and this just aides it I'm not sure.
Bingo! Your tank becomes a skimmer!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't hear it but I believe some more trees came down in the forest :cool:

On topic again we have within a week about 25 ppl bubbling in the Houston area, big thanks will go out to Elegant Corals and crew for this amazing new tool we can exercise as extra in this hobby.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't hear it but I believe some more trees came down in the forest :cool:

On topic again we have within a week about 25 ppl bubbling in the Houston area, big thanks will go out to Elegant Corals and crew for this amazing new tool we can exercise as extra in this hobby.
Is that different from the 1000's of people who used 'reef vital dna' and swore it made their tank better?

wooglins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was discussed years ago as a method for increasing the PH in reef aquariums to help with stale home syndrome. Back in the day the technique was to use the air pump to pull air from outside the home and run that air through a bag of carbon to negate the possibility of contaminates outside the home.

The problem is most homes are so well insulated that limited amount of fresh air is present compared to outside the home. Our air conditioners recycle the same air over and over with no mechanism to introduce outside air into the home. Buy running a bubble stone you increase the amount of stale are that enters the water column which can help to negate the effect by increasing the amount of air that enters the aquarium even though it is still stale.

I do believe their can be a positive effect if your have stale air in your home, but it is not magic, just getting the right amount of fresh air into the water column.

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different in a sense of just bubbles, just bubbles of fresh air.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back