Micro bubbles...

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in micro bubble hell... I've never had issues before and all the sudden they showed up. I've replaced all the flex tubing in the return. Re-clamped everything tight and I still can't figure it out... it's driving me nuts! :(

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it pump impeller cavitation? Is the water level high enough that the return pump isn't sucking air?

OP
OP
Rob's Reef

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its an external pump, plumbed into the bottom side of my sump. And that has a 90 on it to make sure it picks up water at its lowest point in my sump

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And this just started oUT of the blue?

Sometimes with external pumps the plumbing to the intake can have a tiny area where air can be pulled in. It won't leak because of the air pull. If you turn the pump you may see a small drip. If there is a union check the rubber o ring that seats the union together for a small piece of junk or maybe it is slightly out of its grove.

OP
OP
Rob's Reef

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, out of the blue.

I'll check the Union tomorrow... do they sell replacement orings?

OP
OP
Rob's Reef

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any luck with this?
Not yet. I re tightened the unions and cleaned out my impeller. I noticed I have a ball valve on my sump is loose but I can't tighten it without emptying my sump so I can lift it...

So I was getting ready to empty it and do a water change and noticed I'm out of teflon tape... So I'm gonna grab some on my way home and give it another shot...

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try oateys teflon paste for a better seal.
31229_comp.jpg

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro bubbles are the latest fad in reefing it seems, and you didn't have to pay a thing.

(Just kidding. Sorry)

Watch for salt creep, as I think drawing air through a fitting will result in some. Hope you find it.

OP
OP
Rob's Reef

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after weeks of headaches with these dang bubbles I finally fixed it! Of course it was the last fitting possible and the one that took the most work to fix. ;p

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a micro bubble issue, even after making sure all the fittings were sealed,I then put a shut off valve on the exit side of the return pump & closed it part way (1/16 th inch)the water flow is fine & the bubbles have ceased.hope this helps

OP
OP
Rob's Reef

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a micro bubble issue, even after making sure all the fittings were sealed,I then put a shut off valve on the exit side of the return pump & closed it part way (1/16 th inch)the water flow is fine & the bubbles have ceased.hope this helps

I fixed my issue, thanks though

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back