OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the full system?

Things are going along well . Added some macro algaes and added a red fudge light on the bottom to help with some growth .

I did switch out the light to an XR15 freshwater led which the Mangrove really seems to enjoy .

I am having some issues with turf algae in the display . I have added some CUC, increased water changes and stated to dose peroxide to fight it . Seems to be receding ...slowly

Here are some pictures , really wish I could take a decent picture lol
5EE9A20A-FC55-4B43-B25F-051CC86EBB82.jpeg

B5E9EF92-DD40-46B0-9C5C-D49D5FB1D7B9.jpeg

E5606A48-CC11-4620-A660-67DE6AE15F8C.jpeg

PRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people said mangroves would give the tank a dirt water look. Have you had any issues with this? Is the over all water quality stable in both tanks?

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people said mangroves would give the tank a dirt water look. Have you had any issues with this? Is the over all water quality stable in both tanks?

No issues with with water clarity . Both tanks stay crystal clear . I do run carbon 24/7 but I don’t believe that if it wasn’t there I would have issues . I don’t think live Mangroves release tannins , at least not to any noticeable extent .

As far as water stability , again no perceived diffenere to tanks I’ve had without Mangroves .

I do believe that Mangroves as a nutrient export option is a pipe dream , at least to the extent that most hobbyist could employ . There are just so many better ways to do it.

Overall I keep Mangroves for one reason , astetics

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to do water changes or run filtration on a mangrove tank?

PRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to do dual sumps on my new set up, one a refugium and one a display sump with mangroves and such, so this is great news. great work and thanks for the info.

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to do dual sumps on my new set up, one a refugium and one a display sump with mangroves and such, so this is great news. great work and thanks for the info.

Thank you

Make sure to make a thread with lots of pictures !

NanoDad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen anything like this before. This is very cool!

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this and letting us all follow along. Looks great!

I was thinking about doing something similar on the bay window next to my DT. Was looking at a mr aqua 12g long, but seeing how great your cube looks, I may end up changing my mind.

I was wondering if you have any issue with the single drain pipe? Do have have noise or gurgling? This is a concern of mine and was thinking I would go one drain that is tuned to full siphon and a second emergency drain. But obviously a single drain would look cleaner if I can pull it off. What is your experience with your setup?

TonyGugino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the Innovative marine 25 gallon lagoon, I think a corner of it is going to become a little mangrove section :)

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this and letting us all follow along. Looks great!

I was thinking about doing something similar on the bay window next to my DT. Was looking at a mr aqua 12g long, but seeing how great your cube looks, I may end up changing my mind.

I was wondering if you have any issue with the single drain pipe? Do have have noise or gurgling? This is a concern of mine and was thinking I would go one drain that is tuned to full siphon and a second emergency drain. But obviously a single drain would look cleaner if I can pull it off. What is your experience with your setup?

The sound from the single drain is nearly silent . I think mainly because the flow through it is very low . Probably less than 40 gallons per hour .

I have had one overflow , when a snail made his way into the drain . I have since changed to a jbj nano skim overflow box thing .That keeps everything out now . I also used them to raise the water level in my IM 20 gallon , I love these little things .

24A5510B-5BCF-44EF-9D05-902385548825.jpeg

I would say if you can add an emergency drain that’s where the smart money is lol .

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sound from the single drain is nearly silent . I think mainly because the flow through it is very low . Probably less than 40 gallons per hour .

I have had one overflow , when a snail made his way into the drain . I have since changed to a jbj nano skim overflow box thing .That keeps everything out now . I also used them to raise the water level in my IM 20 gallon , I love these little things .

24A5510B-5BCF-44EF-9D05-902385548825.jpeg

I would say if you can add an emergency drain that’s where the smart money is lol .

Out of curiosity, what sized plumbing did you use for your build? Is that 1” pvc?

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ewelch Do you still have your mangrove tank setup? It's a very nice system, I like what you've done with it!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back