Micro Mangrove Build

TonyGugino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a pair of saltwater mollies might be a cool addition to this, since they can be in fresh or salt. You can acclimate them from fresh to salt yourself too!

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a pair of saltwater mollies might be a cool addition to this, since they can be in fresh or salt. You can acclimate them from fresh to salt yourself too!

That's a good idea . I've always wanted to do that . And something else the research and learn about !

Thanks!

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love watching new leaves emerge .

Just liked this picture
IMG_5498.JPG

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just quick update . Everything is growing right along . Had some of the macro die off but it looks like it has settled in and is taking off .

Added a trio of Bangi Cardinals that are really enjoying the root structure .

Also getting some sponges and small feather dusters growing on the prop roots .

54300467-2847-4FD3-8247-480625257DF4.jpeg

5AC5D86E-0749-417C-95F9-7A63B946E6C2.jpeg

CFC0A336-932E-4FB5-B39D-C57A07027F85.jpeg

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! I've been thinking about a similar idea for a tank I have sitting around. I'm gonna order a couple mangrove pods and start the growth like you did. Where did you order yours from?

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been quite a while since I purchased this as a small mangrove with a couple of leaves . But there are a number of online vendors that you should be able to find some . I would suggest finding one that is already in saltwater as acclimating them to salt from fresh is where I see a lot of people have troubles . I started this one in soil and freshwater and they grow much faster this way . Now that it is in my saltwater system growth has slowed .
I will look back and see if I can find the vendor I bought this one from .

I notice you are in PA too , where abouts ?

Thanks !

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved the idea. You inspired be to do the same. I have some growing in soil now for a couple months or so. They are just now starting to grow new leaves

JohnnyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you grow mangroves in a pot is a light needed or can you just keep it near a window?

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved the idea. You inspired be to do the same. I have some growing in soil now for a couple months or so. They are just now starting to grow new leaves

That’s awesome . Just make sure when you’re ready to aclimate it over to take your time . The process for me was about 4 months . I have killed more than one trying to go to fast .

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been quite a while since I purchased this as a small mangrove with a couple of leaves . But there are a number of online vendors that you should be able to find some . I would suggest finding one that is already in saltwater as acclimating them to salt from fresh is where I see a lot of people have troubles . I started this one in soil and freshwater and they grow much faster this way . Now that it is in my saltwater system growth has slowed .
I will look back and see if I can find the vendor I bought this one from .

I notice you are in PA too , where abouts ?

Thanks !
This build wouldn’t be for probably a year so I’ve got the time. I’d rather have a nice big couple of specimens like yours. :)

I’m as southeast in PA as you can get in Chester County. You?

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build wouldn’t be for probably a year so I’ve got the time. I’d rather have a nice big couple of specimens like yours. :)

I’m as southeast in PA as you can get in Chester County. You?

Small little town called Spring Grove about an hour south of Harrisburg .

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very impressed with the symplicity and elegance of what you've done. I'm following along. Couple of questions:
  • What did you do to protect the metal of the stand you used and how is it holding up, esecially with incorporating the mister?
  • How much siphon effect do you have with your pump off, especially now that you raised the water level with the overflow box? Is there enough room in the 20 to accept the water or do you have some type of siphon break set up?

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys

Very impressed with the symplicity and elegance of what you've done. I'm following along. Couple of questions:
  • What did you do to protect the metal of the stand you used and how is it holding up, esecially with incorporating the mister?
  • How much siphon effect do you have with your pump off, especially now that you raised the water level with the overflow box? Is there enough room in the 20 to accept the water or do you have some type of siphon break set up?

The stand is holding up well . It’s very “rough” or antique to begin with so the salt water just added to the effect , lol

There is no siphon break . Took some trial and error but there is enough room in the 20 to account for the extra water when the pumps stop or a power outage .

Thanks!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back