Micro Mangrove Build

lotekfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quantities you get for the price are absolutely insane- I look forward to seeing this come to fruition! SPS reefs are gorgeous, but I love the look and feel of more.. "organic" reefs too.
+1 on great service from live-plants. I ordered a few things to start off my 8g macro tank build and the order filled my entire tank!

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone . I am really happy with how it's turned out so far .

Tracking shows everything being delivered tomorrow .....pictures to come

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My package arrived this morning . Evert thing was packaged very well ad appears to have made the trip without issue .

As promised , it exceeded my expectations in both quality and quantity . Going to let the tank clear up a bit then new pictures to follow .

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dust has settled .

I decide to only use a fraction of what was sent . I will let everything grow in and find its place a form .

Full shot
IMG_5492.JPG

Closer
IMG_5494.JPG

Originally I had no plans of stocking any fish in this tank . But the more look at it I think a couple of small , less active fish might fit the bill.

Possibly some Banggai Carnidal fish ? Open to suggestions

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this setup! Maybe a pistol shrimp - goby pair? I think they would have a lot of fun burrowing in between the rock and mangrove branches.

Mengchhorn Chhun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that a very nice idea, i also have IM 20 and always want to grow mangrove but though pf didnt have any space, i will try to follow you now. so how the plumbing work ??? so are you using water pump from the IM 20 and let the gravity doing a return ???

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this setup! Maybe a pistol shrimp - goby pair? I think they would have a lot of fun burrowing in between the rock and mangrove branches.

That's a good idea . I have never had a tank with sand , so these sand dwelling species are new to me

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that a very nice idea, i also have IM 20 and always want to grow mangrove but though pf didnt have any space, i will try to follow you now. so how the plumbing work ??? so are you using water pump from the IM 20 and let the gravity doing a return ???

I am using a separate pump from the return . A Sicce 1.0 , it pumps water out and into the Mangrove tank and then gravity brings it back to the IM 20 . Mangrove tank sits about 4" higher than the IM 20 , never really thought it would work but seems to be working out okay .

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous! I can't believe how much the seedling grew in just a year. I've been growing some in salt water for about a year, and barely have four leaves.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following. I've been thinking of something similar with my RSM 130. Maybe some shaving brush algae in the sand and some acans tucked into the roots. Cant wait to see how it grows out!

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following. I've been thinking of something similar with my RSM 130. Maybe some shaving brush algae in the sand and some acans tucked into the roots. Cant wait to see how it grows out!

Thank you , I am on the look out for more interesting macros . Really looking for some shoal grass but it is proving very difficult to find .

OP
OP
E

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most important things I have found in keeping Mangroves is rinsing the salt from there leaves daily , if not more .

With that in mind I have been brain storming ways to automate this process .

While walking through the pet store I came across this guy
IMG_5691.JPG

It's an all in one misting system . I can fill it with 2 gallons of RODI and be set for awhile.

It has two knobs , one for cycle (how many times in a 24 hour period) and duration (how long each cycle is on for)
IMG_5689.JPG

For now I have it next to the stand , working on a way to get it tucked away inside

IMG_5688.JPG

For the sprayer I used the arm from an old floor lamp . It has a flexible top portion so it's perfect . The water line runs right up the inside and out of the end at the top .Stuck an old tunze power head magnet to the arm to attach it to the back of the stand .

IMG_5686.JPG

Here is one of it misting , really hard to get a picture

IMG_5690.JPG

So far really happy with how it came out .

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most important things I have found in keeping Mangroves is rinsing the salt from there leaves daily , if not more .

With that in mind I have been brain storming ways to automate this process .

While walking through the pet store I came across this guy
IMG_5691.JPG

It's an all in one misting system . I can fill it with 2 gallons of RODI and be set for awhile.

It has two knobs , one for cycle (how many times in a 24 hour period) and duration (how long each cycle is on for)
IMG_5689.JPG

For now I have it next to the stand , working on a way to get it tucked away inside

IMG_5688.JPG

For the sprayer I used the arm from an old floor lamp . It has a flexible top portion so it's perfect . The water line runs right up the inside and out of the end at the top .Stuck an old tunze power head magnet to the arm to attach it to the back of the stand .

IMG_5686.JPG

Here is one of it misting , really hard to get a picture

IMG_5690.JPG

So far really happy with how it came out .
wow!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back