Microbacteria 7/clean dosing

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I dose 1 or both of the microbacteria 7 and microbacteria clean once a week or so. 40-80 ml depending on which one. I see others dose the mb7 daily. Do you shut your UV and skimmer off for 4 hrs every day? Also, what dose per gal? Do you split the weekly amount by 7 (40 per week divided by 7). I'm debating eventually setting up auto dosing of at least 1 of these.

220 gal total water

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix the recommended amount on the bottle (1 capful per 25 gal) with 8oz of tank water daily and pour 90% into my display and 10% into my sump. Instructions also state to turn off skimmer and UV for a few hours (says 4hrs) so I do that as well.

Here are Brightwells instructions for reference:

Shake product well before using. Mix appropriate volume of MicrōBacter7 (see below) with 250-ml (~8 fl. oz.) of aquarium water in a clean container prior to addition to aquarium. If using a pipette to dispense MicrōBacter7 below water level of container or aquarium, be sure to thoroughly clean pipette with fresh water prior to placing tube back into MicrōBacter7 bottle; failure to do so will contaminate the product. Best results may be obtained by adding mixture to external biological filtration system (if applicable). Do not add to pump intake port(s). For best results, use within 1-year of purchase date. For best results, use with FaStart-M per the instructions on that label, to provide nutrients to get the bacteria started rapidly. (Do not use with QuikCycl) The following recommendations are based upon extensive testing and will produce the best results in most aquaria.

Medium- to High-nutrient Systems, or to seed Biological Filtration in new aquaria: To effectively decrease the concentration of available nutrients and waste material in all marine and freshwater aquaria, add 5 ml (1 capful) per 25 US-gallons (94.6 L) [≈4 drops per gallon (3.8 L)] of aquarium water daily for the first two weeks of use; the impact that MicrōBacter7 has on an aquarium is most evident within this period. Turn protein skimming and UV-sterilization off for a period of 4 hours following addition to aquaria. A noticeable difference in water clarity is typically apparent within 30-minutes of dosing. Follow same instructions for new aquarium start-up. Thereafter, switch to “low-nutrient” dosage (below).

Stable, Low-nutrient Systems: To maintain a low concentration of available nutrients in all marine and freshwater aquaria, 5 ml (1 capful) of MicrōBacter7 per 50 US-gallons (189.3 L) [≈2 drops per gallon (3.8 L)] of aquarium water no more than once each week; alternately, add 1 ml per 50 US-gallons daily (or 1 ml per 25 US-gallons every other day). Turn protein skimming and UV-sterilization off for a period of 4 hours following addition to aquaria. Dosage may be adjusted according to perceived benefit to aquarium, however it is recommended that the dosage not exceed 1 ml per 25 US-gallons per day. With time, hobbyists may determine that decreasing the dosage and/or dosing frequency by up to 50% sufficiently maintains a low-nutrient environment. During changes in biological filtration or when increasing the aquarium bioload, dose 1 ml per 25 US-gallons daily for one week, then resume “low-nutrient” dosage.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do shut off skimmer and uv. I just hate to turn them off every day for that long.
It is a pain for sure. I try to multitask and do my heaviest fish feeding, if I do any coral targeted feeding, etc.. to try and knock it all out in one go so it's no more than 1x per day at least.

Hoping to set up a bit more automation/control so I'm not manually unplugging each piece of equipment every time.. lol

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do shut off skimmer and uv. I just hate to turn them off every day for that long.

Same here. In the 'Coral Snow' thread, he only leaves the MB7\Snow mixture in the DT for about thirty minutes IIRC, before turning everything back on again. Seems a bit short to me.

Also, I've noticed that if I leave the filter socks in place and do a full dose of MB7, they will be clogged the next day with a slimy feel to them (bacteria). I'm thinking it best to follow directions for a full dose anyway.

Regarding daily automated dosing, you would need to shake the bottle every day prior to the dosing.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is a pain for sure. I try to multitask and do my heaviest fish feeding, if I do any coral targeted feeding, etc.. to try and knock it all out in one go so it's no more than 1x per day at least.

Hoping to set up a bit more automation/control so I'm not manually unplugging each piece of equipment every time.. lol

Kasa strip to the rescue! Putting one on my non-Apex tank today so I don't have to unplug the skimmer every time. :)

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dose MicroBacter 7 every day. my tank is 3 years old and I was having a serious algae issue. This seems to have straightened out that algae problem. I don't turn any thing off.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kasa strip to the rescue! Putting one on my non-Apex tank today so I don't have to unplug the skimmer every time. :)
I was thinking of that as well but had been leaning towards making the jump into Apex as you mentioned (for other reasons as well as the automation of course)

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. In the 'Coral Snow' thread, he only leaves the MB7\Snow mixture in the DT for about thirty minutes IIRC, before turning everything back on again. Seems a bit short to me.

Also, I've noticed that if I leave the filter socks in place and do a full dose of MB7, they will be clogged the next day with a slimy feel to them (bacteria). I'm thinking it best to follow directions for a full dose anyway.

Regarding daily automated dosing, you would need to shake the bottle every day prior to the dosing.
I've read of others who automated dosing of MB7.
Wonder if they shake it every day. Doesn't seem too automated if so.
Unless they automate the shaking too. Haha!

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back