OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as Rusty stated, new tank syndrome is something everyone goes through so don't stress. the system just needs to develop a sufficient amount of beneficial bacteria and microfauna naturally (this will take time-months). A sufficient clean up crew is also essential. Hermits, mexican turbos, cerith snails, astrea snails, and nassarius snails are a good start. I like to have nassarius snails in my mix because they go into the sand bed and eat detritus. Also it's cool to watch them come out of the sand bed when feeding and move quick to find any uneaten food. of all the snails i mentioned i think ceriths are the best all around eaters. Conch snails are great too but they aren't easy to find in LFS around me and the two i've had were bulldozers and would move many of my sand dwelling corals.

if your LFS doesn't have a decent selection of cleaners then you may want to consider a package from a company like reefcleaners https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/cleaner-packages-with-free-shipping

what kind of clean up crew have you employed so far?

what are your water parameters?
New tank syndrome, Noooo...... Lol. Well, stuff happens right?! Lol. I have a water change due tomorrow and I will scrub the rocks with the algae on them and clean also my frags that the algae grew on. Im not going to stress anything and will let mother nature do her thing. I really can't wait to start seeing coraline algae in my tank. That will definitely help with unwanted algae. Lol.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a plan. The coraline algae will start to show itself in about a year if you seed the tank w it. Contact Algae Barn and order a couple bottles to get it started.

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a plan. The coraline algae will start to show itself in about a year if you seed the tank w it. Contact Algae Barn and order a couple bottles to get it started.
Like I was saying to Rusty, I'm just keeping a close eye on my parameters and keeping my 2 Trochus, 1 Turbo Snail along with my Fire Shrimp and 2 clowns alive. Regular water changes and just sit and relax. Skimmer will eventually start working correctly and everything will fall into place. Patience is a virtue as Rusty keeps drilling into my head.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I was saying to Rusty, I'm just keeping a close eye on my parameters and keeping my 2 Trochus, 1 Turbo Snail along with my Fire Shrimp and 2 clowns alive. Regular water changes and just sit and relax. Skimmer will eventually start working correctly and everything will fall into place. Patience is a virtue as Rusty keeps drilling into my head.
Now would b a perfect time to get a fish ( or two but small ones). That way they will b comfy when you add corals. The corals do much better w fish. Could even b the thing that helps you to succeed the first time out. But it's still a chance to buy a fish

JamieTotten1996

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly irrelevant but these Fluval skimmers are nothing but a nightmare for me, the PS1 is so poorly made the two sides disconnect every time I try putting in my back sump (chamber 1) then I have to take it out reconnect, then repeat, now I can see I have bubbles coming out the sides where the two pieces connect and it’s triggering my OCD!!

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly irrelevant but these Fluval skimmers are nothing but a nightmare for me, the PS1 is so poorly made the two sides disconnect every time I try putting in my back sump (chamber 1) then I have to take it out reconnect, then repeat, now I can see I have bubbles coming out the sides where the two pieces connect and it’s triggering my OCD!!
Ahhh... the OCD triggers. I KNOW exactly what you mean. Lol

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now would b a perfect time to get a fish ( or two but small ones). That way they will b comfy when you add corals. The corals do much better w fish. Could even b the thing that helps you to succeed the first time out. But it's still a chance to buy a fish
My 2 clowns are looking and doing great from what I can tell. (PRAY 4 ME)

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask around, I just met a guy from fluval( he made me a trick return pump nozzle, will have pics up n a couple days). Anyway if nothing else we can ask him. Got to tell someone if u need to meet someone. Its how we meet other people that do this.

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sure as hell wasn't a love you. But love the fact you love your fish
I'm thinking during my next water change to replace the stock return pump for the SICCE 0.5 pump that would give me 185GPH instead of the 132GPH from Stock Pump. Plus i already have the Fluval CP1 265GPH so that would be roughly 450GPH. Think that's a good Mod?...
As far as lighting I'm using the AI Prime HD16 lights and I'm happy with these lights so far.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those r great lights and will most likely keepvyou happy n growing till u upgrade. As far as changing your flow up, that does sound good but the real test will b your corals and their movement. Something, or someone I like to use as a judge for many things n my tank is a large coco worm. He will let u know how your parameters are, how flow is and if something is going wrong in your system. This can b done w many types of critters but honestly coco worms are the cheapest to replace if something does go wrong. And if you can't keep one happy n alive n your tank then you aren't ready for corals. Just an idea.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back